Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Manual Transmission Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default Manual Transmission Jitters

First off, just wanted to say “Hey” and “Thanks!” for everyone posting here and running such a great forum. :D

So, I’m here in Charlotte, NC. Ordered a silver xB from the dealer in Hickory; wanted a red one, but there were none avail. So here’s the thing: I ordered a manual transmission, as I was tired of my Automatic V-dub not downshifting when needed, and being generally slow. Nothing special there, right?

I’ve never really driven a manual transmission, save for two very old and angry pick –up trucks. These gave me a whole new appreciation for ‘whiplash’, as I recall stalling the things out several times.

So, my question – is the Scion manual easy to drive? Did I make a stupid mistake in ordering a Manual? My problems with the trucks as I recall, (It’s been a while) were that the clutches would not engage until the VERY end of the pedal; that is to say the gears would catch suddenly at the last moment you let off of them, instead of smoothly and gradually as you left off of it. Is this normal?

Give me a shout, Scion Manual drivers. Whatchathink? :?:
Larry
Old 02-16-2004, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Manual rules.. I've never owned an automatic.... About the trucks and etc... A truck clutch feels very different than a car's clutch... the xB feels just like a car imo... Very easy to drive.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats on ur new silver xB im ok when it comes to manual, but why go through the hassle of up shifting and downshifting when all u have to do is step on something
Old 02-16-2004, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't worry, the xBs transmission is one of the easiest I've ever used, and I've driven manual all my life. Clutch travel is super short, so pretty much any shifting is cake.

The shifter is a little clunky, but that's about it.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for your feedback, guys! I'll let you know after I pick it up if I get whiplash or not. :o
Old 02-16-2004, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

the scions pretty much drive themselves. you made the right choice going with the manual.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Coming from my 97 Civic--the xB's transmission and clutch were super smooth and relatively flawless--save for the notchy shifter (this was more of an issue of getting used to the design, rather than an actual "flaw").

Anyhow, in the first few weeks of owning the car, I was very pleased with the transmission and clutch performance...the engagement/shifting/overall feel was great!

It felt like the car was impossible to stall out...it seems like it will hold on to any amount of gas you give it, but it will start to squirm and shudder if it is being pushed to it's "stall out" limit...if you know what I mean.

However, I do have a friend who is used to driving automatic--and he seems to manage to stall quite often...so it's probably more up to the driver more so than the car.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heheh. it's hard not to relate it to a past bad experience.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Traffic yes or no

It just depends on the kinda traffice your in. The xA and xB I test drove were super easy to shift. I thought i'd be in lots a traffice so I got the auto. (A manual in traffice can be a drag). But the I got shifted to nights - no traffic so now I wish I had the stick! Ahh darn it. No after a few day it will be come like not thinking. And with a stick you have more controll, lower cost, less breakdowns, and you can bump start it if you REALY need to (even if you shouln't cause of the catalitic cowverter).