Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Manufacturer code scanner - Air conditioning/Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Manufacturer code scanner - Air conditioning/Body

I have intermittent air conditioning on my 2006 XB and think it is due to a temperature sensor.

I'm trying to buy an OBD2 code scanner that will read manufacturer codes for body, which includes air conditioning.

Anybody know a scanner that will do that without breaking the bank?
And I guess more importantly, anybody have a list of scion specific codes? I've looked online but it's not clear what the XB has, so I'm not sure a scanner would even help.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you mean? Are you just getting hot air or is the circulating fan not working or...
Old 03-14-2017, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the reply and apologies for my slow response. What I mean is the air comes out cool sometimes and then becomes warm and will stay warm for a while and then go cool. It's like the compressor is in and out.

so I'm thinking either the evaporator is freezing up, possibly because there was no cabin air filter I discovered, or because the cabin or evaporator temperature sensor is wrong. So I was looking for a scanner to read these temperatures and see what's going on.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't give you a recommend on the OBD reader as I don't have one.
It could be that your car is just low on Freon, but I would resist the lure of those cheap kits to add freon as they don't measure both pressures and do the other calcs necessary.

If it is low, have the AC tech change out the schrader valves while he's at it. That is the usual source of leakage.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:17 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not refrigerant because it works really well sometimes and then bad other times. I've checked the pressures when it is working well and they are where the scion manual says they should be.

I'm pretty sure its the evaporator freezing up or a sensor with incorrect info.