Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

My Box will not start!! I need your help pls!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member

Default My Box will not start!! I need your help pls!

Hey fellow Box owners. I need your opinions and help. Last friday night I had a dinner to attend and when I went to start the Box it would try and start but the engine never turned. I tried over and over again but no luck. I am so baffled and frustrated. I had no CEL warnings, battery is still okay, spark plugs recently changed, fuses are fine, and oil changes every 3-5000 miles. I had my dad who is a mechanic try and check it out and he was thinking it was something w/ the fuel system. Ended up checking the fuel pump and everything is functioning. We decided maybe changing out the fuel filter might help. Went to the dealership to order the part over there and parts guy said that this shouldn't have to be changed out. Decided to order anyways. I am so lost...do you guys have any idea what might be the problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. My dad is gonna check out the Box again the friday. He wants to do a diagnostic test. The thing is my dad is an old school mechanic and still new to the newer cars. He wanted me to confirm the proper connection or procedure for this car. so if someone could please share that info, it would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everybody!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-19-2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Now this is pretty interesting.

If you turn the key over to accessory you will hear the fuel pump so that's not the issue.

You can hook up a scan tool to see if you have any error codes, that's just an OBD II scanner though and you said you had no CEL so that shouldn't be the case.

It seems like the car has been properly maintained like you said so i'm not sure.

This one is kinda odd.

Starter going out? Your battery is good and once it starts I assume it stays running so that cancels out the alternator.

There aren't many things that just stop the car from starting or trying to turn over. Starter, alternator and battery assuming the engine is getting fuel.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it's a 5 speed, the clutch safety switch may have gone bad. mines on the blink right now.....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

how many miles do you have on your box?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare
if it's a 5 speed, the clutch safety switch may have gone bad. mines on the blink right now.....
If a 5 spd do you have aftermarket floor mats? sometimes they can slip up and not let the clutch pedal go all the way to the floor causing it.

If it is an automatic the neutral safty switch could be out.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:41 PM

gunked up injectors?
would a bad cam position sensor not allow it to start?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 PM

can you jump with cables and get it to start, or push start it?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys check both sets of fuses? Ones under the dash and under the hood? And you said the engine never turned do you mean it never fired up or the starter never activated?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry forgot to mention it's an automatic w/ approximately 93,000 miles
Old 04-10-2009, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by egarciadesigns
can you jump with cables and get it to start, or push start it?
haven't tried jump starting yet but probably will try that out this weekend..doesn't hurt to try anything at this point
Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 365Motorwerks
You guys check both sets of fuses? Ones under the dash and under the hood? And you said the engine never turned do you mean it never fired up or the starter never activated?
Yeah we checked both sets of fuses and they are all fine. Sorry if I'm not wording it right but pretty much when I try and start the car it acts as if it's starting but never starts. I hope that makes sense..but ya thanks for the responses everyone..gonna try and figure this out this weekend. If worst comes to worst probably have to have it towed and brought to the dealership or shop and see if they know what's going on. thanks again
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds ugly :-(

Good luck with it....
Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so it turns over but won't start, did you check the coil packs? Maybe its not getting any spark
Old 04-10-2009, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Skuff_Box
so it turns over but won't start, did you check the coil packs? Maybe its not getting any spark
not yet..will do!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member

sounds ugly :-(

Good luck with it....
thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skuff_Box
It says "but the engine never turned" in the original post. If it doesn't wouldn't that mean bad battery? How long have you had the battery in it? Isn't the average lifetime 3-4 years?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I know this is a couple of days late, but this happened to me in my old ride.. Check your battery cables. make sure they're making connections properly. esp. where the ground cable connects on the body end.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Try this... Take your battery cables off and use a wire brush to clean the cables and battery post where they meet. Over time they can get a glaze on them that will not allow a strong enough current to travel between the two. They make a 2 in1 tool just for this that cost less than 5 bucks at any auto parts store.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Meter the battery and make sure it has continuity between the positive terminal and ground.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: My box will not start!! I need your help pls!

[quote="kingspin21"]Hey fellow box owners. I need your opinions and help. Last friday night I had a dinner to attend and when I went to start the box it would try and start but the engine never turned. I tried over and over again but no luck. I am so baffled and frustrated. I had no cel warnings, battery is still okay, spark plugs recently changed, fuses are fine, and oil changes every 3-5000 miles. I had my dad who is a mechanic try and check it out and he was thinking it was something w/ the fuel system. Ended up checking the fuel pump and everything is functioning. We decided maybe changing out the fuel filter might help. Went to the dealership to order the part over there and parts guy said that this shouldn't have to be changed out. Decided to order anyways. I am so lost...do you guys have any idea what might be the problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sup everyone! i just wanted to update the status of my box. so a couple of weeks ago ended up trying to scan for codes. Connected the scanner and it showed the scanner was unable to read the ecu. We tried over and over again and made sure the scanner was not the defective...no luck! So we figured there was something w/ the ecu. Ended up getting another ecu from a junkyard in sacramento and replaced the original ecu. This time when connecting the scanner it read the ecu and showed the code--P0335--crankshift position sensor malfunction. Did some research and found out that it was easy to replace. Ordered the part from the dealership and arrived the next day. Replaced the crankshift position sensor, scanned ecu (no code this time), and decided to try and start. If, it wasn't going to work decided that would have to have it towed to a shop. The big moment--crossed our fingers...and tadaa! It fired up!!! I was so relieved!! Been driving my dad's 1990 acura legend for the past couple of weeks and boy did I miss my box. She's been running fine the past couple days and noticing no issues. *knock on wood* I'm still wondering what might have caused the malfunction of the cp sensor..any ideas? Well, just wanted to thank those peeps out there who offered there help and opinions. thanks yall!!

Quick Reply: My Box will not start!! I need your help pls!