Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Broken spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Default Broken spark plugs

Hi, I recently changed my spark plugs about 18,000 miles ago. My car started to hesitate and run really bad. My engine light turned on and came up P0301 as a engine misfire on cylinder number 1. After pulling the spark plug on cylinder 1 and 4 I discovered the tips completely broken off. They were also loose inside the engine. Not rattling loose but Loose where it took no strength at all to turn them out. I recently heard of horror stories with anti seize and I'm wondering if this could be a cause of that? Any ideas what this could be? Thank you in advance

I'm not sure how to post a picture on this site. I just have a picture on my phone to try and attach. Am I able to as a new member?
Old 07-09-2017, 03:34 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daveid01
I'm not sure how to post a picture on this site. I just have a picture on my phone to try and attach. Am I able to as a new member?
Hello! Welcome to SL!

How to Post Pictures on Scion Life (SL)

As a New Member only 2 places you can not post yet. You need 50 relevant posts to Post in the Classifieds and in the Off-Topic Forum.

See all the Rules HERE

Old 07-13-2017, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spark plugs have a compressible metal gasket that I find will always let the plugs loosen up when torqued in to the correct value. I've had one fly out on an old motorbike when riding it. Ever since then, I tighten them down till the crushable gasket is crushed flat and the torque starts to rise again. Don't over tighten though.

There is a high voltage getting dumped to ground via the spark plug threads, so it makes sense to make sure they are tight, so the spark can't erode the threads

I always put motorcycle chain spray on the threads so I can get them out again later
Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I always just put a drop of engine oil on the threads then do 1/2 turn past crush ring contact. I also run only NGK Irridiums in my Toyota products.
Also make sure the new plugs are the proper part# for that engine.