First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

New brake pads and rotors are grinding.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 AM
AP
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New brake pads and rotors are grinding.

F.Y.I.

I replaced my front brake pads and rotors on my 2006 Scion xB with Prostop brake parts. With in a few days they started to grind when slowing down and it was loudest at 5mph or less. Removed the brake pads and rotors to inspect, I saw nothing wrong. Cleaned and lubed, reinstalled the rotors and brake pads. But the grinding was still there. After a few weeks of driving with the grinding noise, I reinstalled the factory rotors and there is no more grinding. I returned the rotors and got my money back. I’m still using the Prostop Platinum brake pads.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i think it might be normal for a bit. i installed a new set of crossed/ drilled rotors and new pads and jad the same grinding issue. about 1 month later it went away.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you say grinding, do you really mean squealing? There is a very specific process you have to go through in order to break in new rotors and pads properly. Here is a link to Stoptech's website which details that. If you do not perform the breaking in/mating process, you will have all types of problems.

https://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/w...contents.shtml
Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 AM
AP
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the posts guys.

MeatRocket I installed the Prostop brake pads and rotors on 08/23/11 and finally had enough on 10/16/11. I live in Los Angeles and work in Newport Beach, about 50 miles one way, I put over 2000miles. It seemed to get worse the more I drove it.

ColonelSanders85 it was defiantly a grinding noise. It sounded like worn out brake pads. The only brake pads and rotors that I have had squealing problems are Duralast. Not on my Scion xB, but on my wife’s mini van, Nissan Altima, parent’s min van, and my sister’s Dodge Ram truck.

It just amazed me that when I installed my original rotors with out cutting and some rust build up. They made no grinding or squealing noises. There is no pulsing or any other problems. They stop my car nicely. I did measure my original rotors and they are at 21mm thick, they are with in spec. The autoparts store where I bought the Prostop rotors recommended cutting the rotors but they were new. I just returned them and got store credit.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm looking to replace my pads. I really like the OEM pads since they have given me 70,000 of trouble free miles.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 AM
AP
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pollock3s I have no problems with OEM pads. My gave me 89000miles, but when I found out that I needed brake pads my local dealer was close. So had to go to the autoparts store.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gotcha, getting my done for $139.00
Old 12-18-2011, 04:01 PM
AP
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update on the Platinum Prostop brake pads. I started to get a squealing sound a few weeks ago not loud. But now the squeal is too loud and it's happening all the time now. Lifted the front of the car and removed the wheels to inspect the brakes. Wow there was a lot of powder from the brake pads. Disassembled the front brakes to inspect the brake pads and rotors. Brake pads where smooth and the rotors since I did not cut them last time looked O.K. except for the brake powder. So I took my rotors to my local mom and pop shop to get them cut for $8 each. Cleaned everything up, and reinstalled. Lets see if with a smoother surface on the rotors these brake pads don't produce as much powder and the squeal.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ceramics from ebay

Last time I did my fronts, I used pads and rotors from an ebay seller.... I went with ceramic pads to cut down on the dust that darkens my front wheeels... Was quite reasonable price wise and have been working nicely for several months now...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions and put the pads on in the correct order / direction. Failure to do so can lead to excessive noise.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 AM
AP
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bearcave, there were no instructions in or on the brake pad box for installation. The only instructions they did have in and on the brake pad box was for bedding. Which I did follow.
Two of my friends have the Prostop brake pads on two different vehicles and they are having the same problem. But they told me they will run them until they need replacing. These brake pads Prostop are just too dusty and noisy for me. I bought new brake pads, Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic and cross drilled/slotted rotors black zinc coating. They been in my car for 2 weeks and they have been great, no squealing or grinding. One of the Prostop brake pad when I removed it from my car, it has a small crack.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have tried various pads with both my Scion and my Corolla. They ALL made bad noises soon after installation with nothing wrong with them. The only pads that lasted and sounded quiet are Toyota pads. I'm sure somewhere out there are pads that are reliable and quiet, but I have never found any. Not even the premium brand name ceramic pads.

I have been told Toyota pads are ceramic.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 PM

The pads you used are papboys brand pads.. One there web site they show the platinum ones you got.. not sure if those are for OEM style Rotors.. If you were going with that brand possibly use there Ceramic pads

You cant use semi-metalic with aftermarket Rotors like the ones you tried..

I use Posiquiet Ceramic (low dust) pads

I see on stoptechs web site there cross drilled holes are counter sunk but are the slotts counter sunk? If not the hard edge will catch on the pad and make a similar noise you talked about

I CNC mechine and counter sink the cross drilled and slotts on all of my Rotors

Stock Rotors

Name:  before.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  43.7 KB
Wheel removed
Name:  frontrimoff.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  52.7 KB
Name:  rightrearsticker.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  64.3 KB

Hope that helped.. Adam
www.ThatRotorShop.com (I have 3 pages of Scions and have had no problems with any of the Rotors)