Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   new exhaust suggestions (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/new-exhaust-suggestions-2311/)

dub178 02-19-2004 12:35 AM

new exhaust suggestions

when i first got my xB, i busted the ghetto move and went to a muffler shop where they installed 2.25" piping right to the resonator and stuck on a universal Apex'i muffler. This week I got a ticket for my setup. I figured I would just put the OE stuff back on and get it tested but I cant find my OE stuff anywhere (my house got remodeled, lots of ____ is where it shouldnt be). So anyway, I need some suggestions on what exhaust I should get that would let me pass the exhaust test and still get me some decent power gains.

Scionic 02-19-2004 01:07 AM

Won't get you much power but it sounds decent and bolts right up.....TRD exhuast

dub178 02-19-2004 01:09 AM

does the dc exhaust comply with the 95 decibel limit, and do you think it might be able to pass the test?

02-19-2004 01:45 AM

I have a couple of xB mufflers lying around. I could sell you one! 8)

02-19-2004 01:49 AM

Or might I suggest the Precision Muffler.com axel back made from a SS magna Flow muffler (Street Design) It has an internal baffle that keeps it at a low tone and it is a bolt on. Let me know. :D
http://www.precisionmuffler.com/066c2520.jpg

squirrel 02-19-2004 04:58 AM

Re: new exhaust suggestions

Originally Posted by dub178
when i first got my xB, i busted the ghetto move and went to a muffler shop where they installed 2.25" piping right to the resonator and stuck on a universal Apex'i muffler. This week I got a ticket for my setup. I figured I would just put the OE stuff back on and get it tested but I cant find my OE stuff anywhere (my house got remodeled, lots of ____ is where it shouldnt be). So anyway, I need some suggestions on what exhaust I should get that would let me pass the exhaust test and still get me some decent power gains.

Which section were you cited for? And where do you live?

If its an exhaust that's too loud, the Officer who gave you the ticket had to measure your exhaust at the prescribed RPM, and at the prescribed distance w/ a sound meter. If its an altered exhaust, its a fix it ticket then. But if its the loudness one, and the Officer didn't have the meter, you can fight it in court and win.

showpaojoe 02-19-2004 05:07 AM

i got altered exhaust ticket and they sed it wasn't a fix it ticket

go to a junk yard and chop off a muffler

Djuan 02-19-2004 06:07 AM

not great

so let me make sure I have this right all exhaust non stock are illegal, I thought it was more of a noise issue... great...

HotBox 02-19-2004 07:00 AM

imo the 1st mistake was getting the apexi exhuast not trying to bag on them but DAMN i had one that shyt was loud and annoying i did the same thing as you too all the way up to the cat. but i went with 2.5 in piping hoping it would help the flow and quiet the noise levels but i was so wrong. yeah this has nothing to do with what you asked but it all just came out the DC is a good exhuast i recommend it also the magnaflow since i hear good things give stylis a call :D

dub178 02-19-2004 07:35 AM

i think the ticket was for a modified muffler, but the officer told me i got it cause it was too loud. oh and btw, i got the ticket in west LA.

JDMxB 02-19-2004 08:40 AM

For me, it's a toss up between the DC and the Tanabe Super Hyper right now...any thoughts on those two--fellas? Thanks.

02-20-2004 08:06 PM

I always try to tell all my customers about keeping the sound at a low tone. BUT sometimes people just want it loud and I can't stop them.

vpkb 02-21-2004 01:14 AM

stylis

change your price list on the DC, it's deceiving

UrbanDrum 02-21-2004 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by vpkb
stylis

It makes you look like an untrustworthy source. Like a liar....

badwinger 02-21-2004 02:19 AM

I realize that aftermarket stuff is, uh, "cool," but the TRD muffler comes with a 95 db certificate. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

02-21-2004 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanDrum

Originally Posted by vpkb
stylis

It makes you look like an untrustworthy source. Like a liar....

whoa!! :shock: Sorry, didn't see that it was 389.00 on the scion store. Still, I don't think I am a liar about the price being higher then the PrecisionMuffler.com Axel back :lol: