Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

New To Group, Need Some Help on Choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member

Default New To Group, Need Some Help on Choices

Alright....

Looking to get myself a Xa for as my Xmas present this December. I need to know a few things on the options that are out their for the car along with potential warrenty voids I may encounter.

I am huge for taking corners along with straighline performance;however, the Xa is no 9 second drag racer. I was wondering if adding the TRD springs,coils,clutch, and shifter adds instalation cost to the car or does it come ordered that way if specified? Rather add it myself if they charge me!

I don't want Scion's stereo system or rims and was wondering if I did anything aftermarket would I void the warrenty?

My credit score is 715 and I've had stable credit for roughly 18months, would it be a problem to get financing myself?

Any help would be appreciated!

Erik
Old 05-25-2005, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Additional accessories, such as the ones you mentioned, are priced without installation since they are performance modifications and cannot be put onto a specific vehicle from the factory. The springs, shocks and struts are very easy to install with the right tools and a few hours of your time. The only thing on there that would cost quite a bit to install would be the clutch.

As for adding a stereo and new rims, they will not void your warranty at all. The only time Toyota (or any car company) can void a warranty is if they have proof that the aftermarket product installed caused damage to the vehicle. There is a law regarding this issue. Many of us have modified our vehicles days after getting it. Stereo's and rims are generally the most common types of mods and will not hurt your car, unless improperly installed.

And finally as for your credit score. I don't see any problem with you getting an approval for financing on an xA. I have the same stats as you in terms of credit and even with a trade-in payoff I was approved quite quickly for financing by Toyota Financial Services.

I highly recommend checking out the Scion web site. Build your xA to your linking and you can check what kind of monthly payment you will have using the payment calculator. You can even get pre-approval for financing on the web site too, but only do that when your ready to go to the dealership and get your Scion.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I WAS A "FIRST TIME BUYER" WHEN I GOT MY SCION AND I WAS INSTANTLY APPROVED ON THE INTERNET AND THEN WHEN I WENT TO THE DEALERSHIP TO GET THE CAR, I GOT 8% FINANCING THROUGH TOYOTA
Old 05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by über-xA-RS2
Additional accessories, such as the ones you mentioned, are priced without installation since they are performance modifications and cannot be put onto a specific vehicle from the factory. The springs, shocks and struts are very easy to install with the right tools and a few hours of your time. The only thing on there that would cost quite a bit to install would be the clutch.

As for adding a stereo and new rims, they will not void your warranty at all. The only time Toyota (or any car company) can void a warranty is if they have proof that the aftermarket product installed caused damage to the vehicle. There is a law regarding this issue. Many of us have modified our vehicles days after getting it. Stereo's and rims are generally the most common types of mods and will not hurt your car, unless improperly installed.

And finally as for your credit score. I don't see any problem with you getting an approval for financing on an xA. I have the same stats as you in terms of credit and even with a trade-in payoff I was approved quite quickly for financing by Toyota Financial Services.

I highly recommend checking out the Scion web site. Build your xA to your linking and you can check what kind of monthly payment you will have using the payment calculator. You can even get pre-approval for financing on the web site too, but only do that when your ready to go to the dealership and get your Scion.
On the site there are certain modifications that say price does not include installation. With those performance upgrades I've listed, not one of them says this. So are you sure? Not to second guess you, I appreciate your help and the information you've provided. Regardless, I work so much (50-60 hours a week) and go to school so much (12+ credit hours) that changing my oil has been a planned event these days.

Is there a step by step way of doing these modifications on this site or one related to the Xa? Are these upgrades cheaper upfront or can I buy them I'm pretty good with a wrench but I like to have directions before I go gun-ho under a new car. Also using TRD parts will NOT void the warrenty , correct?

Thanks for the financing info, I applied to see if I could get preapproved. Parents won't help but I don't want it. Building my credit will help me get a house in the future.

Thanks again and if you, or anyone else, can help me anymore that would be great.
Erik
Old 05-25-2005, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member

Accessories denoted by an asterisk[*] reflect suggested retail parts price only. Installation is not included and may vary by dealer. Please see your dealer for details.

all of those parts have a * next to them

also TRD parts will not void your warranty.. and i'm pretty sure you would want the dealer to install them just to be sure. Because if you install say... your clutch yourself then something happens to your clutch system the dealer probably wouldnt cover it because you did the work yourself.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:06 PM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've pretty much voided every warranty that had come with the car. But it was in my plans to do so, so I didn't get the extended warranty. That is something that you will want to consider when you get your car. Having the parts put on by the dealership will make it so the parts are under warranty, so you wouldn't have to worry about it if something went wrong.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Devlyn
Accessories denoted by an asterisk[*] reflect suggested retail parts price only. Installation is not included and may vary by dealer. Please see your dealer for details.

all of those parts have a * next to them

also TRD parts will not void your warranty.. and i'm pretty sure you would want the dealer to install them just to be sure. Because if you install say... your clutch yourself then something happens to your clutch system the dealer probably wouldnt cover it because you did the work yourself.
thanks for showing me that, i looked and it was there. well i wonder how much work the springs/shocks are to install. really, all i want out of this car is a good sound system, have a little pep, ride on rails, and for the most part just be fun. With an added clutch and shifter i'm sure it would enhance the fun in driving the car. The exhaust system sucks, rather just get a catback but I wonder if that will void warrenty.

Rims don't seem worth getting, does anyone know where I can get some black rims or possibly gun mental with a chrome lip? With tires I bet it would be about $800 to $1000 and I could have an extra set laying around for the winter.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.tirerack.com
www.wheelsnext.com
Discount Tires
e-bay
and, many many more places

got mine from wheels next (check my profile for pics)
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One suggestion: DON'T get optional "performance" parts through the dealer. You will pay out the ___ for these parts.

As far as warranty goes, you can put wheels, intake, stereo, etc. on yourself without voiding the warranty. Course, the part won't be covered by Toyota's warranty since you installed it (which sometimes isn't the case), but the part you put on should have a warranty of its own.

The manual that comes with your Scion says that the warranty is not voided by parts added unless it is determined that your maintenance caused a problem. If in doubt, have a shop install it, but I wouldn't go through the dealer unless you have money to burn.

I bought my RS1 without fog lights. I wanted OEM fog lights so I got them $80 cheaper than dealer price over eBay. Two months after I installed them, the lenses cracked on the inside. Nothing caused by impact or my installation. I took my car to the dealer, they took a look at my fogs and agreed with my theory. The dealer ordered new fog lights and installed them, covered by warranty.

My OEM fog lights on eBay cost me $110. It was the whole kit. Fog lights, relay and harness. I installed everything myself and was damn awful easy. Cost my dealer quoted me for install: $150.

I purchased my TRD springs through eBay from a Scion dealer in Indiana. $169. I installed them myself (again, god awful simple) which cost me only $10 to rent out a work bay at the auto shop on my air force base. Before install, I called the Scion dealer. Cost to install through dealer: $389.

You want to change your exhaust? If it's a direct bolt-on, do it. Scion will not void your warranty just because you changed exhaust.

There's a post floating around here somewhere that describes how the warranty works. Just don't be scared about voiding the warranty. Buying a part on the internet VS the dealer and having an auto shop install it (if you felt uncomfortable doing it yourself) would save you a buttload of money that would have been wasted on the dealer.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Satmax
One suggestion: DON'T get optional "performance" parts through the dealer. You will pay out the ___ for these parts.

As far as warranty goes, you can put wheels, intake, stereo, etc. on yourself without voiding the warranty. Course, the part won't be covered by Toyota's warranty since you installed it (which sometimes isn't the case), but the part you put on should have a warranty of its own.

The manual that comes with your Scion says that the warranty is not voided by parts added unless it is determined that your maintenance caused a problem. If in doubt, have a shop install it, but I wouldn't go through the dealer unless you have money to burn.

I bought my RS1 without fog lights. I wanted OEM fog lights so I got them $80 cheaper than dealer price over eBay. Two months after I installed them, the lenses cracked on the inside. Nothing caused by impact or my installation. I took my car to the dealer, they took a look at my fogs and agreed with my theory. The dealer ordered new fog lights and installed them, covered by warranty.

My OEM fog lights on eBay cost me $110. It was the whole kit. Fog lights, relay and harness. I installed everything myself and was damn awful easy. Cost my dealer quoted me for install: $150.

I purchased my TRD springs through eBay from a Scion dealer in Indiana. $169. I installed them myself (again, god awful simple) which cost me only $10 to rent out a work bay at the auto shop on my air force base. Before install, I called the Scion dealer. Cost to install through dealer: $389.

You want to change your exhaust? If it's a direct bolt-on, do it. Scion will not void your warranty just because you changed exhaust.

There's a post floating around here somewhere that describes how the warranty works. Just don't be scared about voiding the warranty. Buying a part on the internet VS the dealer and having an auto shop install it (if you felt uncomfortable doing it yourself) would save you a buttload of money that would have been wasted on the dealer.
thanks for you info! i might just go with an XB instead of the Xa, found it to be cheaper under the options i want with roughly the same MPG. I will basically do the work when I have time. Perfomance upgrades to power are easy to do: intake, full exhaust, ignition, even the TRD supercharger would be a snap. Are they going to come up with a turbocharger? Really not into supercharger, always under boost isn't great for the block even though its probably no more then 4 pounds.

Erik