Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Only 1% have side air bags???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member

Default Only 1% have side air bags???

So today I went to drive the xA. I mentioned that I want the side airbag option and the dealer tells me I should learn to live without side air bags because only 1% of the xA's in "this area" come with them and they're impossible to find. WTF??? I can't believe there's such little interest in side air bags in the Los Angeles area. Anybody else have trouble finding the side airbags??? This car is for my wife, so they're very important to me. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Only 1% have side air bags???

Originally Posted by LinexA
So today I went to drive the xA. I mentioned that I want the side airbag option and the dealer tells me I should learn to live without side air bags because only 1% of the xA's in "this area" come with them and they're impossible to find. WTF??? I can't believe there's such little interest in side air bags in the Los Angeles area. Anybody else have trouble finding the side airbags??? This car is for my wife, so they're very important to me. Thanks.
Believe it!

I had to wait a couple of months to get the color I wanted, with side airbags, even though I am friends with the owner of the dealership! Scion Van at Piercey Scion searched every dealership to try to get what I wanted, but there were none, and we had to wait for it to come in from Japan. I think he also made some special arrangements before the car came in, because the cars with the side airbags are so rare.

I also live in L.A., but I bought the Scion from Van in San Jose. If you really want the side airbags, I recommend calling him. If you read the threads on this website, you will see (Scion) Van's posts, and it's obvious that he knows his stuff, when it comes to Scions. He also just did the same deal for me, so he knows exactly what to do.

I wanted the airbags, because I knew it would make my Mom just a little bit happier in life.

-Pete
Old 11-19-2003, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had no problem with my xA's side airbags, but I got mine back in very late July... the airbags were really important to me, I wouldn't have peace of mind with anything else
Old 11-21-2003, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pete is right... it was a wait to get his car in! It took a good 2 months or so I think to get the car he wanted, in the color that he wanted, with the side air bags in. Since the air bags are installed at the factory in Japan, you're somewhat limited to whatever they send over, and once those side air bag xAs are gone, that's it. You gotta wait for the next batch to come from Japan, and hope that they're sending one over in the color you want, too! If you're really intent on getting an xA with side air bags, don't let anyone tell you you should "learn to live without" it (wow, that's kind of a horrible thing for them to say actually!!). You'll definitely need to have some patience though, as it might take a while to hunt down that exact car that you want. But I think that if you can afford the down time it takes to find that car, you'll be that much happier once you do get it! :)
Old 11-21-2003, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I asked our regional manager that very question on Monday...what % of xA's have side airbags. He told me 5% of the A's in the LA region are equipped that way. Then he asked me "are more of your customers interested in the option."
The fact of the matter is, not too many people ask for them. I feel the unavailability of them is a bit extreme, something like 20% should have the option, but at the same time, people for the most part don't seem to care.
Regardless, if it's something you really want, don't settle. When you're spending $14,000+ of your money, get what you want...even if you have to wait a bit it's worth it in the end.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DibujoB
When you're spending $14,000+ of your money, get what you want...even if you have to wait a bit it's worth it in the end.
Very true especially when it comes to the protection of your loved ones and yourself.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member

Well...Mark at Longo Toyota/Scion just happens to have a single blue xA WITH the hard-to-find air bags, so I guess I'm all set! Thanks everyone for the info and especially Mark for your help. See you this weekend!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Glad you can find what you're looking for!