Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Owning powerful car verus your xB-what would/did you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Owning powerful car verus your xB-what would/did you do?

I see that there have been quite a few people who traded in faster cars for their xBs-Evos, WRXs, GTi and even at least one R32. I am frequently tempted to trade in my xB for one of these cars but I want to know from some people who have had both what they think.

1) Is the XB with mods as usuable as these others as far as actually using the power? (ie-0-60 might be under 4 seconds but how often could you actually run one of these really fast cars hard?)

2) The xB gets great mileage pretty much no matter what-is that enough to have one over these faster gas drinking cars?

3) Reliability-I hear the Evos start to have issues about 60,000, maybe the same with the WRXs and the VWs (as I know from haing many) have strange electrical gremlins-these are Toyotas and there really seem to be very few issues-even when SCd or turbo'd (as far as reliability)-is this something that you dealt with or are glad to not have to deal with?

4)How hard is it to not go back to a fast car after getting an xB-do you miss the rush enough to wonder about going back?

5) How hard was it to leave one of those cars stock-I like modding my xB but it all adds to making it faster whether in a straight line, around a corner or stopping-those cars already do all of that so well-did you feel like it needed to better?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I have ultra fast cars before and do not miss them..sometimes I think about faster until I pass the signs at a gas station and I am reminded of gas prices..
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It must be my age but I could care less about speed! I love the great gas mileage I get with the Box and just knowing I'm driving something unique, even though MOST people say it's "frickin' ugly!"
My next purchase is gonna be either a Tahoe or a Suburban!!!...
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've never owned a fast car so i can't help there. once you own a "fast" motorcycle though, no car acceleration thrills really compare. top that with getting into time on a track, you will be more than happy with cars that get good gas mileage instead for the streets. leave the speed to where you can do it safely and NOT risk your license when you pin the throttle.

keep the box. you can't get better gas mileage with this much space and definitely cannot get this unique at the same time. if you want to add a fast car to your garage, go ahead. but don't get rid of the box. i think you would regret it :-( but i could be wrong...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fast cars = been there, done that. Id rather save money on gas and travel than go fast and stay here in the States.

In SoCal, I will be shocked if gas ever drops delow $4/gal, so Im keeping my MPGs and social life be sticking with vechicles that get NO LESS THAN 32MPG.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

keep the box

get another car

make sure..the car is everything the box isnt
Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have owned nothing but V-8's and one turbo Mitsu, until the box..
mine's a manual and fast enough.. dont miss the other cars, well maybe one... lol

box FTW!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a pretty fast S-10, now I don't even miss it. The only car I really miss is my old vw bug.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 PM
SL Member

I've had a Mustang, Lightning and a F-100 with a 390ci V8 before. Do I miss the acceleration... absolutely. Do I miss the gas prices and the wrenching under the hood... absolutely not. I've never owned any of the vehicles you asked about but imo, I wouldn't want one either. I have plenty of fun in my xB and enjoy all the looks I get in it (especially the disapproving ones). If you want a fast car or a bike get one, but don't get rid of your xB. I know I would regret it.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default It is strange...I drive better now

Ive' owned some fast and slow cars. I traded in a very quick Mazda 3 Sport with the 2.3 litre engine for the Box and never looked back.

For one, it was nice how the Box made my driving-soul automatically slow down a good bit and actually "feel the drive" and become a more courteous driver. Second, the Mazda was the biggest piece o' crap I have ever owned/bought new (and I have owned 18 cars from 1984-200. Mazda National was just no help at all with all the problems I had.

I have noticed with the powerful cars I owned, I always came close to risking my license or being rude to other drivers trying to get "that first spot" at stoplights or just be ahead of everyone. NOT so with the Box. It has literally changed me to a better driver. It is nice to chill out, wave others in at intersections, wave them to go ahead of me and just simply take my time and cruise in the Box. I actually believe this car has lowered my blood pressure.

You really only make up about 2-5 minutes in a faster car.....Not worth your license or ____ing people off. Plus it is fun to get the ol' box haulin' down the highway (within limits of course and with courtesy)....

And as many already know, ......

"IT IS MORE FUN TO DRIVE A SLOW CAR FAST THAN IT IS TO DRIVE A FAST CAR SLOW".

For some odd reason, because of that statement above, I feel like I really "feel the drive" again.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Make the xB faster. I had it supercharged for a while and the extra 30 HP was pretty fun while keeping 28 MPG under hard driving. I pulled it off to build a second 1NZ to drop in and run 12-14 psi for about a 60 HP gain.

Total cost will probably run me about $3500 since I'm doing the labor. I thought about building up a second car but didn't want to mess with repairing a rust bucket (the only thing I could pick up for a decent price) and didn't want to pay for a second new car, insurance, etc. plus still buying and fabricating the performance upgrades.

I love working on these xB's too, pretty much all the engine work can be done with a 10, 12 and 14mm ratchet and wrench and a philips #2 screwdriver.

For handling, lowering it and getting lower sway bars will help, but it will never be agile. I didn't really even bother other than running 17"x7" tires for better grip. Find lightweight rims, the "baller" ones will really slow you down off the line and ride really rough.

Did I mention the cargo space? My wife needs to use a motorized wheelchair so I had the back seats removed and a ramp put in, now she doesn't need to get out of the chair. When she's not in the car, I've hauled a spare 1NZ-FE, 6' live christmas tree, washing machine, glass storm door, 42" glass tube television, fully assembled sand blasting cabinet, and other odd assortments. It's especially funny when I go to the trash / recycling place and haul out three 32 gallon trash cans, cardboard boxes and all my recycling bags.

For mods, you can do more than just speed mods. I'm in the middle of an A/V upgrade and was able to fit a Mac mini, keyboard, 7" touchscreen and head unit all in the dash. There is a TON of room behind the center dash piece, and even more behind the glovebox to fit all the extra boxes and bits. My only complaint is that tape won't stick for squat to the interior plastic when trying to mask off an area for painting or fiberglassing.

At the end of the day, I just like having a unique, easy to modify vehicle that is functional and versitile. I don't even need a truck anymore unless I need drywall or plywood sheets, and even then I can lash them to the roof w/ foam rollers under to not scratch the paint. And it's always nice to see Harley and crotch rocket riders stare as I'm driving by. I think they like the black and silver two tone finish.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vettereddie is right. I'm considering buying his super charger but if I do or don't, the XB stays on my driveway. I've hauled things my wife's crappy dodge pickup can't. 10 foot long box (brake line for said crappy pickup) and just the other day I hauled two new/boxed up toilets and one pedestal sink from Lowes for my mom. Every time I get the itch to trade the box in on something "fast" it reminds me why I bought it in the first place.

I was thinking of buying a sport bike for the speed bit but with the drivers in my town it'd be extremely risky.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm with the conscensus-I like my box a whole lot and actually it was my GF (who only sorta likes it) that made the point of where am I going to use more power?

I figure 130hp in it would be great (GReddy SC) and with the header, exhaust, etc that's about where it should be.

I have the springs, wheel and tires, header, exhaust, stereo and ceramic pads and as most of us already do-I have a full bucket list of what I still want to do.

It only has 35,000 miles too so I figure another 10 years easy of reliable service (that would put it a little over 200,000).

Still want to hear from people though-especially someone who has had one of those cars-just curious I guess.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I've got plans to build 2 fast cars, a v8 fiero (eventually) and a 69 charger (soon maybe)
Old 08-14-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member

well i have a 05 xb that is stock and i use it as a daily driver and work car-172K in 3 and a half years

i also have a 01 corvette convertible that is my weekend and play car, we take it for weekend trips and outings and we do get an average of 25mpg and up to 30 on long trips so it is kind of the best of both worlds. yes i do run it hard sometimes and any modding i do happens to the vette
Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My last car was a base-model 05 Impreza, which while not blisteringly fast, was a hell of a lot quicker and more nimble than the xB. However, it also tempted me a lot to drive like a retard, had no cargo space, good-but-worse-than-the-xB resale value, and I am averaging ~10mpg better in the xB, too.

I really liked that Subaru a lot, but I like my xB a lot more.

At this point, I'd be pretty happy to drive the xB into the ground, which will likely be at least a decade away. In the meantime, if I end up with another car at all, it'll be 30+ years old, and either French or German, and a toy.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I always have a fast car in my garage. My xB is a fun car to drive, I actually drive it harder than my current Vette, I drive my xB to about 90% of what it will do. I drive my Vette about 10% of what it will do. Together it is a nice blend, the xB is much more practical I must say. Lately I have carried my 50 TV to the repair shop, brought home a 12 by 18 rug and even brought home two 4x8 pieces of plywood ripped to 2x8.

But I will have to say, mashing the throttle on 400 plus HP is a great feeling!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
I have ultra fast cars before and do not miss them..sometimes I think about faster until I pass the signs at a gas station and I am reminded of gas prices..
LOL Same here. I had a Saleen Mustang, a Dodge Indy Ram, and the last 2 were Explorers. Those gas prices are murder on anything that you drive more than say, 20 miles a day. The best mileage I had on any of those was barely 19, so that means I'm going 50%further than I was before.
2000 Explorer Limited V6-$70 fillup.
2004 Scion xB-$43 the most so far.
And the Explorer only went 50 miles farther (on a 20 gallon tank)

If you're only gonna drive it a little a day, not so bad, but make sure you have a daily driver.
Just my .02.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am starting to get the gas thing a little better-have had to drive a dodge caravan the last 2 days while our car is in the shop-in 2 days have spent about $25 on gas-I have driven 45 miles and it's $3.87 a gallon.

This sucks. I read about someone whose WRX only got about 17 should you even drive it slightly hard-I am keeping my xB and just going with SC later.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by greybox
I am starting to get the gas thing a little better-have had to drive a dodge caravan the last 2 days while our car is in the shop-in 2 days have spent about $25 on gas-I have driven 45 miles and it's $3.87 a gallon.

This sucks. I read about someone whose WRX only got about 17 should you even drive it slightly hard-I am keeping my xB and just going with SC later.
That's the thing about FI engines-- premium fuel reduces knock, but at the cost of fuel economy, because higher octane = less energy in the fuel. Needless to say, current mass-market technology limits FI to high-performance cars because of the major hit to efficiency and driveability.

It's possible to get really good FE out of a WRX, but that mostly involves driving really conservatively, and avoiding boost like the plague, either via boost controller or ECU-tuning.

Quick Reply: Owning powerful car verus your xB-what would/did you do?