Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My xb got 34mpg on my trip to vegas and back.. I just traded it for a tc.. so I'm intrested as to what its gunna do next time i go...
Old 01-27-2005, 10:14 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know my guess is the switch to Ethanol instead of MTBE might have caused a reduction in gas mileage. The pumps here are starting to run ethanol mix during the winter and that's when i noticed 2-3 mpg reduction in mileage. I'm waiting for them to stop running ethanol in the gas after march to see if that was the problem. i don't think it's a problem with the temperature outside being 40 and less. can anyone elaborate on this theory???
Old 01-27-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

They add more oxygenating agents in the cold months. Without comparing to previous years and removing other factors, I would think it's just the agents and not one over the other. It's not like MTBE was some great solution, it just got SOLD really well as a solution... and now we all get to pay to clean it up...again...
Old 01-27-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Also, don't forget to factor in weather. Wet roads, wind, snow, increased road debris... all kinds of other factors that could have an effect...
Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My XB has 1600 miles on it, its an automatic and I do mostly freeway driving to and from work and average so far is about 28 mpg.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vehicle: 05 xB
odometer: 800 miles
transmission: manual
Drivetrain: stock
wheels/tires: factory alloy wheels / stock tires

I'm getting 32 MPG city, 36 MPG Highway.

MPG formula used: Trip odometer reading divided by number of gallons filled. (Trip Odometer reset at each fill-up)
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

delete repeat post
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old topic... new XB owners... but way back when I felt the same way.

14,300 miles March to Now in Texas Heat and Texas (lack of) winter.
rare 5spd, RS1

My best MPG... 31-32 mostly city driving
Worst MPG.. 26.5 summer mostly highway

Because of gearing 5-spd highway MPG eats it.... with modest shifting city MPG will be better... plus 5-spd is over a second faster 0-60mph. Auto 10.5sec Man low 9s

Things that are huge factors:

Obvious:

MODS wheels, intake, exhaust

SPEED over 65MPH its trickles lower over 75MPH its a cliff ALSO KEEP THIS IN MIND THE EPA'S HIGHWAY MPG IS BASED ON AN AVERAGE SPEED OF 45MPH AND EVEN STILL INCLUDES ACCERATION AND DECCERATION TO SIMULATE TRAFFIC CONDITIONS!!!!

Not-so Obvious:

WEIGHT: with a 980lb or so payload, people and stuff add up.... I'm a 300lb dude with 50lbs of spkers and stuff in the back perhaps this is why.

The EPA milage on our cars are bull____, but by now should be well known

Some people say all the EPA mileage stuiff is garbage... I cannot say all car's EPA milage is bull____ because I took a 2004 4cyl Honda accord to georgia in august heat with 4 big folks inside and a hella lot of luggage and avg 80mph... AND still got 31-32 MPG

New folks I sympathise with you... I know from experience I CANNOT STAND the folks with their SUV's trying to make us feel bad for complaining about getting 29MPG instead of 36MPG. I expect economy with a compact its part of the package if it say 36mpg I expect that. Those morons in the excursions get 12mpg... no surprize the sticker says 12mpg.

Alright I need to go loose to weight so i can finally hit 30mpg. Where's my damn subway sandwich... I'm with you Jared!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member

Default My mileage was pretty good.

I live in orange county; well costa mesa to be exact. I don't know if any of you guys or ladies out there have drive ur scions to vegas but i have, and this was back on labor day weekend. Well i honestly think my average was pretty good. I used half a tank which is about almost 5-6 gallons or so. and that averages to about 45-50 miles per gallon. Now that is pretty dahm good, i was stoked about it when i got to vegas.

Well as for ur xb dude, u should really let ur car get used to ur driving. it's ptobably ur habits on how u drive it.. don't lose faith in ur box, i guess ur car needs a lil breaking in. Oh yeah, vegas was about 260 miles from my criib, and well if u divide that by 5 or 6 gallons used i averaged about 45-50. I know i already said that but believe me, u've made a good choice by buying a scion. I never imagined i'd be saving soo much money on gas myself.

Saving money on gas means more spending on toys for ur box.

Goodluck wit ur car.

Lates Ya'll
5 Year Member

I live in orange county; well costa mesa to be exact. I don't know if any of you guys or ladies out there have drive ur scions to vegas but i have, and this was back on labor day weekend. Well i honestly think my average was pretty good. I used half a tank which is about almost 5-6 gallons or so. and that averages to about 45-50 miles per gallon. Now that is pretty dahm good, i was stoked about it when i got to vegas.

Well as for ur xb dude, u should really let ur car get used to ur driving. it's ptobably ur habits on how u drive it.. don't lose faith in ur box, i guess ur car needs a lil breaking in. Oh yeah, vegas was about 260 miles from my criib, and well if u divide that by 5 or 6 gallons used i averaged about 45-50. I know i already said that but believe me, u've made a good choice by buying a scion. I never imagined i'd be saving soo much money on gas myself.

Goodluck wit ur car.

Lates Ya'll
5 Year Member

Goodluck wit ur car.

Lates Ya'll
Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Vehicle: 05 xB
odometer: about 6500 miles
transmission: manual
Drivetrain: I think you would say stock...I have the CAI and BORLA exhaust, if that means anything...
wheels/tires: factory SIZED ENKI wheels, but not stock from SCION / stock tires

I'm getting 35-36 MPG city, 36-38 MPG Highway.

MPG formula used: Trip odometer reading divided by number of gallons filled. (Trip Odometer reset at each fill-up)

RIGHT foot to the floor factor: Sometimes, when I want to make some noise, but not often. This makes my mileage less, at those times.
I drive in city, with my car hardly going over 45 MPH. So, I am in 4th or 5th, no later then 40 MPH most of the time, which helps.

EXTRA WEIGHT: Not much. BAZOOKA sub in back. And I rarely haul stuff.

Oh, and I live in FLORIDA, with hardly any hills, and warm weather. I think that means better mileage...but I may be wrong.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

no matter how I drive, I get about 28-30mpg.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am not complaining i get 280-310 miles per tank
Old 01-28-2005, 05:52 PM
SMR
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default mpg not bad....

I think I avergae around 29mpg. If Ididnt have lead foot complex I would probab ly do better. My down side is when I get on the freeway and driving between lights I think i have to be the first one there and to leave. Any way I have 44,860 miles on the odometer (not bad for 13 months) and Im lowered on Tunabe springs with 18" wheels and 40 series tires. I have exhaust,cai and a full stereo system(weighs alot) still doing pretty good for me. (old vehicle = 351W F250 4x4 ave 6-7mpg)
Old 01-28-2005, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got 32000 miles on my '04 xb and the gas mileage is in the mid 20's range with town/highway driving.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

let me see 24 mpg when new... 9k later 24 mpg dealer said no problems but never checked my car out...have 96 acura int bought it used got 26 since then till now and drive w/ foot thru floor dive xb like grandma still 24mpg the car never gets 300 / tank mileage sucks
Old 01-28-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

theres something wrong if yer driving like a grandma and only get 24. i drive like a maniac and get 25-30 , you got 20's or something?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I keep praying it will get better in my xB. I had a glimmer of light last week when I got the best mileage ever...31.4 mpg. But normally I sit around 26-27 mpg. Guess it's just an xB thing.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

HeY I notice lithium is fromWV where are you from man

Quick Reply: poor gas mileage