First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Power Locks Unlocking on there own

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Power Locks Unlocking on there own

Hey guys I had the most strangest thing go on with my XB, the power locks seem to be unlocking on there own.
At first I thought maybe RF interference or even the Keyless remote could be the problem. But I realized the keyless remote would activate the signal lights as well.
When the doors unlock themselves it doesnt activate the signal lights, I somehow think the culprit is in the door key switch itself. Or somewhere in the line of this circuit. Has anyone had this happen before on their XB?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright so I believe I found the solution to this, so I guess if anyone goes through this issue its some useful information.
After looking at the characteristics of how the doors were randomly unlocking. I checked a few things before I started opening up panels and what not. The locks were unlocking without the parking lights blinking.
Therefore if the transmitter was at fault, the parking lights would have also blinked as it would have been a part of the transmitter circuit.
So I knew it wasnt the keyless entry, up next, the door switches! After checking to see if they have become sort of Shotty or lightly pressing the button for it to activate they seem to be working fine.
I did notice one particular thing, the drivers door would unlock first before the rest of the locks unlocked, This style of unlock only happends with either keyless entry or the door key switches on the driver side door only.
To make a long story short here, I opened the drivers side door panels, and found the wire harness to the actuator was somehow damp with water. I had pulled the harness out, cleaned the water and cleaned the pins as well, used some dieelectric grease, and the lock issue stopped.
I believe the water had created a closed circuit to activate the locks. The Harness itself is a weather styled harness and I was suprised that Water somehow seeped inside, but for all those who were curious about what the issue could be, this is it here. I did some continuity tests and everything seemed fine.
Kinda crazy that something this simple could create such a vulnerability to this car.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear you found out what the problem was. I have never been good with electrical issues.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like that could be the reason of the problem. Glad you were able to catch that!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the pins are close together, so basically if water does happen to touch the two pins it will act as a switch and unlock the doors. Using the Dieelectric grease will help a little to keep the water away from those pins indefinitely.

Last edited by AnalogXB; 10-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.