Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Power Steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The system holds about 1 pint and the stock fluid is typically good for 2 years before it starts breaking down and getting dirty. I pumped mine out by removing the return line fitted I think a 1/2" OD plastic hose to it and worked the steering wheel back and forth to run it empty then started filling it with Synlube PS fluid until it started coming out pink. Synlube is good for at least 5 years and has better lube properties than most fluids. You don't want the PS pump or rack seals to leak so putting some good stuff in there is a really good idea. Remember the pump spins ALL the time the motor is running.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Davestoaster
^^^^^^^^

Great idea!!

I was using my MityVac, but they are a pain to clean each time.

Might I add to your idea? I think I'll save as many of those pumps as I can, then I can label them for different fluids, ie. brake, P/S etc.

Note to self:
Get pumps from girlfriend's millions of different types of soaps.
Cheers man!

I like these pumps because the are disposable, so in theory you can treat them as single use once you gather a decent stash of 'em. Just remember to clean 'em before use - I imagine soaps could cause a bit of foam to develop in the PS fluid, which is bad,bad,bad.

Sure, you can use them w/ your brake fluid, but be careful not to get the fluid level too low - you dont want to risk putting air in the lines. This will NOT substitute proper brake fluid flushes though, as the fluid does not circulate through the system. Would be good to empty the old fluid out of the reservoir and then top off w/ fresh fluid BEFORE doing a bleed (gravity or otherwise). Should be obvious, but dont use the same pump for the PS and brake system. For this reason, it would be a good idea to label 'em.

Should be easy to attach a length of hose to the bottom and pump out old fluid from the coolant reservoir as well.

Other than those 3 systems, I cant think of anything else that these pumps would be useful for though, so need to collect too many of them.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
The system holds about 1 pint and the stock fluid is typically good for 2 years before it starts breaking down and getting dirty. I pumped mine out by removing the return line fitted I think a 1/2" OD plastic hose to it and worked the steering wheel back and forth to run it empty then started filling it with Synlube PS fluid until it started coming out pink. Synlube is good for at least 5 years and has better lube properties than most fluids. You don't want the PS pump or rack seals to leak so putting some good stuff in there is a really good idea. Remember the pump spins ALL the time the motor is running.
Actually, the systems holds between 1 and 1.3 quarts, IIRC.

Also Toyota does NOT recommend using PS fluid in this system, but ATF Dexron III or IV. Use PS fluid at your own risk. The problem with disconnecting at the lines is the very real possibility of trapping air in the system. The air will cause wear until it works its way out of the system.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a quart of Synlube to replace the stock fluid and it took half a quart to do the job. The Synlube was more dense than the factory fluid and that kept the two fluids separate when the Synlube fluid pumped through. I did get some air in the system but most of it worked itself out quickly by turning the wheel end to end and only after a month of driving did the last traces of air clear the system indicated by the need to add a little more fluid to bring it up to full. The air in the rack made a little bit of squishing noise when turning the wheel to the stops but other than that presented no problems. I did save the old fluid for reference. . . somewhere...

BTW there is a screen in the reservoir that only allows a little of the fluid to be removed from the filler cap opening so you really need to remove the rear return line after taking what you can out of the top of the reservoir to prevent spilling out the return pipe when you take the hose off.