Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

r1concepts.com for braking wants or needs!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

good job cleaning your rotors and pads with brake cleaner Zman

the WD40 actually wont just fall off of the disc.
it will leave behind a petrolium film of sorts..

stuff you do not want on your brakes

I've made a ton of money off of people who do not do proper brake jobs
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The WD was on the caliper bolts only, behind the dust shield. This was before I even took the old rotor off. I placed the new rotor on and cleaned the caliper and added some paint and let that dry, then switched to the new pads and put the caliper back on. I don't think anything got on the rotor. I used a whole can of brake cleaner on the rotors the next day and wiped them with a cloth. I think everything is okay. They work great so far anyway.

My PM isn't working well. This site is crashing for me sometimes too.

I understand the safety issue, for me and other drivers.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

you probably got everything covered... <--(I mean in a good way!!)

I might have scuffed the pads with some sand paper perfore re-installing them...then hit everything again with brake cleaner..but sometimes I'm **** about stuff

sounds like you done a good job...I like what you purchased for your box...do you notice that they work any better?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MadMike550
you probably got everything covered... <--(I mean in a good way!!)

I might have scuffed the pads with some sand paper perfore re-installing them...then hit everything again with brake cleaner..but sometimes I'm **** about stuff

sounds like you done a good job...I like what you purchased for your box...do you notice that they work any better?
They feel a lot more solid overall. It seems like the pads being 3 times as thick makes it smoother or something. I haven't needed the extra stopping power quite yet. I'm one of those people that barely use brakes anyway.

I'm sure using them will scuff themselves eventually.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Try some normal braking, then go out and bed them in. Will be a huge difference when you are done. Even on oem spec pads. On higher performance pads, it will be a much larger difference.

And I cant count the brake jobs I have done myself and working at my dads shop when I was younger.. not to mention the 50 years he has been in the business ... and have yet to get petroleum on the rotors or had an issue related to it. No, you dont want to get lubricants on there.. yes, it WILL clean off as long as it does not get on the pads and yes it is easy to use it on parts near the rotors without getting it all over if you use some common sense and care.

Petroleum products on the pads are the big issue, since it will never come off once it gets into the material. A common example of this is when an axle seal goes on a drum brake setup. You can fix it, and do a pretty decent job of getting it off the drum. But as soon as you "clean" it off the shoes you will have a brake that grabs like a ****. So they are trash. Even better is when you had just done a brake job on said axle a few months earlier, axle seal goes, causing you to replace the brand new shoes when you fix the seal... which happened to me last year on our 4runner
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used a little of the supplied grease on the edges of the pad backing where they insert into the caliper. They are working great, I entered the right angle corner onto my road going about 50 and hit the brakes quick like I normally do but with my new brakes it just instantly pointed me into the turn and slowed me to about 30mph smoothly and quickly.

They are much better than before.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

steve's awesome guy to work with; that's where i got my rotors from 2 years ago and sent many people his way

Last edited by GQQSE13; 04-28-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Try some normal braking, then go out and bed them in. Will be a huge difference when you are done. Even on oem spec pads. On higher performance pads, it will be a much larger difference.

And I cant count the brake jobs I have done myself and working at my dads shop when I was younger.. not to mention the 50 years he has been in the business ... and have yet to get petroleum on the rotors or had an issue related to it. No, you dont want to get lubricants on there.. yes, it WILL clean off as long as it does not get on the pads and yes it is easy to use it on parts near the rotors without getting it all over if you use some common sense and care.

Petroleum products on the pads are the big issue, since it will never come off once it gets into the material. A common example of this is when an axle seal goes on a drum brake setup. You can fix it, and do a pretty decent job of getting it off the drum. But as soon as you "clean" it off the shoes you will have a brake that grabs like a ****. So they are trash. Even better is when you had just done a brake job on said axle a few months earlier, axle seal goes, causing you to replace the brand new shoes when you fix the seal... which happened to me last year on our 4runner

50 years in business doing brakes and you have never changed a set of burned rotors?
Ummm
OK