Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

rear wiper rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 AM

Default rear wiper rattle

I found out that my rear wiper is rattling like crazy when i bump my music loud. is there a way to fix this without removing the rear wiper?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really? what kind of system do you have? i have three 12s pointed right at the hatch and the wiper doesnt rattle at all, only the license plate.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fztcar
really? what kind of system do you have? i have three 12s pointed right at the hatch and the wiper doesnt rattle at all, only the license plate.

Not to threadjack, but to fix my plate rattle, I took a scrap square of nonskid shelf/toolbox liner (I had a bunch left after putting it on my dashboard) and put it under the plate. Not only is it quiet, but the plate isn't hitting the paint.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned
SL Member

You could shorten the spring, or remove the wiper all together.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 2 JL 10's and 250 watts running them and my wiper rattles like hell if I thump it good. The arm and blade itself is the culprit. I have not found a solution...I have not tried really tho as you can not here it inside the car. The tag used to rattle like hell also. A simple fix for the tag is to install a couple of rubber bumpers in the unused lower tag holes from inside the tag so the bumpers rest against the gate...no more tag rattle
Old 09-23-2008, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Just shave it and plug the hole with a flush plug painted to match. The wiper does nothing but scratch the glass anyhow.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm my wiper does not seem to scratch the glass. I keep my car clean tho. I also do not have to operate it in very dirty or salty conditions. I would not operate it when the back window is extremely dirty for sure however. I find it useful when there is heavy morning dew and sometimes in the rain.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@TerribleTed & bB2NER:

You'd be surprised how helpful the wiper is when you have to deal with salty roads half the year, and dirt and dust the other half.

Yes, my back window is scratched to hell, but it would also be opaque without a wiper.

However, for the OP: I second the suggestion of shaving the wiper if it's a practical solution for your climate.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:27 AM

i just removed mine and threw a camera in there
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I rarely use the front wipers let alone ever needing the rear one. Don't drive it in the rain anymore.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: rear wiper rattle

Originally Posted by RG400SmartTowel
I found out that my rear wiper is rattling like crazy when i bump my music loud. is there a way to fix this without removing the rear wiper?
Thought I'd emphasize this, since I'm apparently the only one who saw it.

I'm a little over-sensitive, because I couldn't even learn the stupid rear blade replacement size (and STILL HAVEN'T) without being told by 65 people to shave it, but he's clearly stated he wants to keep the wiper so let's just help him fix the stupid thing.

I bet I use my rear wiper more often than you use your front one. I guess you save on blade replacements, teehee...

SMARTTOWEL: it sounds like you need the spring adjusted. Or replaced. What's your mileage / how often does the wiper get used? Are you even still here? o_0
Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took the time to fill the inside of the arm with sound deadening material. It helped weigh it down a bit.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the reason why it rattles is because its a loose object on a constant vibration. you can try a foam insert over a blade or do what thousands do and get rid of it.

i lived in the NYC metro area and when it got salty to the point i couldn't see, i got me a squedgie and wiped the window. mucn easier when all my blade did was chirp and leave unwanted marks.

Rain X works well also

here is a question to your question,

would dynamating the whole hatch lessen the vibration of the blade and plate? thats a more expensive but a clean task
Old 07-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by RG400SmartTowel
I have been looking for an answer for some time myself. I have 100 watts going to 2 10s pointed up and back towards the hatch. To fix this: turn on rear wiper and quick turn off rear wiper. This causes the blade to stop before reaching the horizontal position. Vibration eliminated and wiper available when needed. Let me know if this works for you.