First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Removed Stock airbox's Charcoal Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Removed Stock airbox's Charcoal Filter

today i tore out this airflow obstruction and I'm curios if i'll feel any difference (def minor) in response. here it is. anybody else remove theirs???

Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanted to take out mine but I thought it was riveted in there, how did you get it out? Also, I think that filter is something they check for when doing a state inspection, not really sure. But hey, add a K&N filter and take out the snorkel and it might make a difference.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

couldnt hurt i guess its gota help a lil there is that much less material to go threw,ripped all the stock intake stuff out of mine!k&n typhoon baby.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had to break the plastic rivets to get it out, but i can set it back in for inspection. my snorkel has been gone for awhile now so i hope this helps even a bit more
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after drivin a bit ive concluded that the car does have a bit more zest now. subtle but nice. i reccomend this to who ever isnt gettin an intake right away
Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Removed Stock airbox's Charcoal Filter

Originally Posted by dmpsk8
today i tore out this airflow obstruction and I'm curios if i'll feel any difference (def minor) in response. here it is. anybody else remove theirs???...
I think this charcoal filter is part of the fuel system's evaporative emissions controls. From looking at the aribox parts illustration, it appears that fumes from the fuel system are pulled into the engine through a permanent charcoal filter in the lid of airbox.. Removing the charcoal filter would have no effect on air flow because it is not filtering intake air. Any effect on performance is probably imaginary.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dunno about any effect on evaporative emissions controls, but the second assertion is incorrect. The charcoal filter is in series with the air filter, between it and the maf sensor...

There's also a plastic grate cast into the airbox tube ahead of the maf sensor.

I've removed both from my xB intake and have installed a TRD filter, all for apparently very little effect... I bought a used intake off ebay for the purpose, just in case the charcoal is deemed necessary for emissions testing down the road...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jhhnn
Dunno about any effect on evaporative emissions controls.... The charcoal filter is in series with the air filter, between it and the maf sensor...
A charcoal filter is not going to be for filtering air. Charcoal is used for absorption rather than filtration.
A charcoal filter after the air filter is probably for absorbing fuel fumes that enter the airbox via the hose to the fuel tank vent system.
And it's not going to reduce emissions because the fumes are going to be burned in the engine.
The purpose of the charcoal filter must be to absorb fuel fumes from the gas tank that might affect the maf sensor.
Perhaps fuel fumes either hurt the maf sensor's materials, or affect its readings of the incoming air.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone have an exploded view drawing of the airbox for the year in question ?

then we could see for ourselves if the charchol filter filters the incoming air or the fumes from the evap system.

Vintage42 wrote "The purpose of the charcoal filter must be to absorb fuel fumes from the gas tank that might affect the maf sensor.
Perhaps fuel fumes either hurt the maf sensor's materials, or affect its readings of the incoming air."

this sounds correct, ever see the varnish build up on a carb?
or catch the fumes at shut down, when not being sucked into the engine? as a back up to the charchol filter in the evap canister.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the charcoal filter is in the top part of the filter box, so air enters from the bottom goes through air filter and then thyough the charcoal element. a lot of the 06 and newer toyota's have the same charcoal filter in some shape or form .

it could be somehow back tracking the fumes from pcv . but that seems unlikely that the fumes will travel up the stream against the income intake air just so it'll hit the charcoal filter. but I'd say it's possible.

that charcoal element is what makes all 04-05 scion xB intakes non carb approved when used on the 06.5 xB's because their use removes that charcoal filter!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^agreed
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

So, I might not be able to get an intake for my 2006 xB that'll pass emissions?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Nope... not in CARB states.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
the charcoal filter is in the top part of the filter box, so air enters from the bottom goes through air filter and then thyough the charcoal element ...
Is the charcoal in the top part of the box, or lower down and inline with the air filter? In this illustration, it looks like the charcoal filter fits in top of the lid of the airbox, where the hose from the fuel vent system enters the airbox. If the charcoal filter is up in the top of the airbox lid, it is not inline with the air filter and has no effect on airflow. Conversely, if the charcoal filter is down low by the air filter, it is below where the fuel vent comes in, and the fumes won't go through it, so the charcoal filter would be for absorbing fumes.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It sits just above the airfilter... although, it's a pretty thin, and not terribly dense filter, so basically, I wouldn't expect to see any effect at all. But yes, the air does pass through the charcoal before hitting the TB.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

just get a K&N air filter and take off your snorkel... intakes are expensive and its the same thing (for our tiny cars) with the snorkel off... idk about this charcoal thing... THIS seems important!

'course, so did the snorkel and thats in my basement collecting dust. next to my old exhuast tip.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i removed the charcoal filter, as well as the snorkel, and took a drill to the lower half of my air box. sounds alot deeper, but i doubt it did much for hp gains. but what do you want for free?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by thetoaster
i removed the charcoal filter, as well as the snorkel, and took a drill to the lower half of my air box. sounds alot deeper, but i doubt it did much for hp gains. but what do you want for free?
Have you gone through emissions testing since doing those things?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

no not yet, but i dont see it doing anything to emissions testing. the mas is still there and everything, i just gave it more air flow. but we'll have to wait and see..
Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like i said earlier, just be careful when pulling the the charcoal out and you can always drop it back in for emmissions

Quick Reply: Removed Stock airbox's Charcoal Filter