First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

scion used pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default scion used pricing?

hey guys.

im waiting until october to buy my new scion xb and i saw two used xbs at the chrysler dealer where i live.

the first one was a 2004 tcm with 40,000 miles. no add ons at all. they priced it at 15,200

the second was a black xb and it had aftermarket wheels, carbon fiber treatment on exterior door pillars and an upgraded alpine systen. this was also 2004, they had it priced at 14000 even.

what should i be expecting to pay for a used xb when i can buy the base xb manual for 14800.

why are they selling these so high.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Im not suprised by the prices you saw at all. In our dealership we have a 2004 xA with aftermarket rims and a few other upgrades but nothing special and its stickered at almost $16,000. The demand for these vehicles is so high right now that dealers can charge whatever they want and the Pure Price deal doesnt apply at other dealers so you can probably get them down on those. We are a Scion dealer so we are trying to work the used Scions as Pure Price also. Demand drives cost is what it boils down to. Basic economics.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default used car pricing

this has helped a little but another thing i would like to know is that when i go to the dealer to buy a new xb what should i be expecting to pay for a base model.. especially if they are supposed to have pure pricing.

the only upgrade im getting is a ipod stereo upgrade
Old 08-21-2005, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think what Peruzzi is trying to say is new=pure price while used=price based on demand.

If you're buying new, you pay pure price. If you're buying used, you pay whatever the dealer asks...but why would you buy used in that scenario?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactly my point,

this is why it was confusing to me. how do they expect people to even buy used. id rather buy new. especially pay more than the pure price of a 2006 for a 2004 with 40000 miles.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way I can see someone doing that is if they were dead set on one specific color & the dealer absolutely cannot get a new one in that color, but they have a used one sitting on the lot.

Even then, you'd have to ride the short bus to pay more for a car with 40K miles...miles that could be very hard, you never know...than for a brand new car, just based on color.

Is it possible that the '04 w/40K had a turbo or something significant like that? Keeping in mind that even if it does, it probably means that it's been beat on, so it wouldn't be smart to buy it anyway...just trying to justify the dealer pricing it more than a new one.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the dealership i bought myxB from has a Pw with rims, floor mats, and somethign else im not sure, 16k miles...$18,995
Old 08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats really annoying when you think about it. ill just wait and buy mine new.. especially when i am guarateed the pure price
Old 08-21-2005, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mosh_xB
the dealership i bought myxB from has a Pw with rims, floor mats, and somethign else im not sure, 16k miles...$18,995

That's dick.

O well...no one ever accused a car dealer of being 100% honest, fair & ethical...it's the moron who BUYS the used xB for 19 grand that needs to be _____-slapped.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Normally, I really look at the used cars since a new car generally tends to lose 40% (or more) of its value in the first 4 years you own it. However demand is driving the price of used xBs right now, and this is not the case with these vehicles.

For example, click here to check out a TCM being sold locally by a Chevy dealer here in my town. $17K+ for a stock '05 TCM with a MANUAL transmission with 5K+ miles. They're out of their minds! I can buy a NEW '06 for almost $2K LESS!

I've searched Edmunds for used xBs within a 300 mile radius of me, and they're ALL selling for sticker or OVER.

Buy it new, if you can, and save yourself some money (it's weird to say that!).
Old 08-21-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, your better off buying new. If you get a xB, Salsa red pearl is a must!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
yeah, your better off buying new. If you get a xB, Salsa red pearl is a must!
Who wants to wait 4 months for their xB?

RichC
Old 08-21-2005, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would i wait four months for a new one rdclark
Old 08-22-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Theres an 04 with a few interior accesories - but base radio, wheel covers, manual - at the dealer where I bought my 05. It has 15000 miles on it. They are asking $12,999. At first they wanted $13,999.
Another non-Scion dealer had a comparable one a while ago for $12,900. That's likely what brought the price down.

Another thing to keep in mind when buying is the sales 'model' the dealership uses - new or used. We have a dealer in the area that prices at or below the low end of book price....that's what they give you on trade too (very similar to the pure price model). Others start with a higher window price, offer a larger trade, or will discount for outright purchases (old school model).

All you as the buyer really cares about is the 'difference' if trading. Or the actual purchase price (not advertised price) if buying outright.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boxlver
why would i wait four months for a new one rdclark
I was referring to Unfocused's suggestion about Salsa Red, which is reported not to be available until the end of the year.

RichC
Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few of us are posting advertised prices for used xBs - that is not the same thing as what the cars are 'selling' for. Unless a buyer of a used one gets on here, and is foolish enough to admit paying those prices, we're not going to know what they are actually leaving the lot for,
Old 08-22-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just for the heck of it I looked on Autotrader.com for XB's. OH My G@%!! I found a dozen or more over 20,000 for 04's or 05's One had custom stuff but was 28,000. Go check it out. One even had a little matching trailer.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a hard time finding a used xB selling cheaper than a new until I found a 2004 w/16,000 miles and Scion Security system - Fog Lights - Hotchkis Front Strut Tie Bar - Blue LED Light Enhancements - Leather Sport Steering Wheel - Sport Pedals - Stainless Steel Door Sill enhancements - Floor and Cargo Mats - all for $12,800. I am so tickled!
(3 week owner.)
oh yea, they tinted the windows darker (like limo) and put on "smurf" rims....blue
Old 08-23-2005, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hip2bsq
I had a hard time finding a used xB selling cheaper than a new until I found a 2004 w/16,000 miles and Scion Security system - Fog Lights - Hotchkis Front Strut Tie Bar - Blue LED Light Enhancements - Leather Sport Steering Wheel - Sport Pedals - Stainless Steel Door Sill enhancements - Floor and Cargo Mats - all for $12,800. I am so tickled!
(3 week owner.)
oh yea, they tinted the windows darker (like limo) and put on "smurf" rims....blue
Sounds like you "done good" on that one. Congrats!
Did that come from a Scion dealer, another New car dealer, a used car dealer, or from an individual? Just curious.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... i thought selling mine for 14k was a lot...
i guess i can ask for more now...lol

Quick Reply: scion used pricing?