Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion xB 2004 - Heater leakage problem..

Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 PM

Default Scion xB 2004 - Heater leakage problem..

Hey everybody. I have 2004 Scion xB that I love it's amazing... but I ran across a problem. All of a sudden I don't have heat. Air-conditioning works fine, blower works fine,
I am getting leakage behind the dashboard it near the middle, especially on turns my foot gets wet. I'm a newbie at trying to fix my own car but I'm willing to try.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-06-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 11-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

I would say if you're a newbie to working on cars then replacing a leaking heater core, most likely the issue, isn't the task you want to start your 'mechanic-ing' career with.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:48 AM

Very true. My boyfriend is a mechanic and he said it's a heater core but it's getting cold here in New York and I'm running out of time.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:45 PM
SL Member

Hi, Today my car stop given any heat out. I install on output a small cooking thermometer. Got 50 Degrees Fahrenheit. I purchase a new aluminum heater core. This work to replace the interior heater core is a one time problem in the life time of the car. I not heard about car's owners that replace the interior heater core more than once. After shopping around for a garage with a mechanic with experience (not too young, not too old, in great physical shape, and open to challenges) I find one at $375 labor only. You can not keep an old car running, if you not have a good mechanic. This work is asking for about 5 long hours. The easy part is to remove the top and center dashboard. I know that is sound and look scarier. I find the video with detailed description on YouTube for those that like to "get dirty". I not find a video with the first generation Scion xB, on pulling out the old heater core, and to show how to fit the new one in the same place. There required some flexibility for the aluminum pipes. Need to twist and push/pull. To prevent in the future antifreeze leaks, need to bend the top aluminum radiator joints (I think). And/or by the end will be safer just to add some silicone, or glue on the pipes connection top?

Here is the new aluminum interior heater core, before installation. I was told that will fit. Will see...

This is how the dashboard top and center looks like before removal.

The right side of this picture have the firewall of the car.The two black little hoses on the right side of this picture (one have some grey color on the top) are from the interior heater core.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-06-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:35 PM
SL Member

Hi, I was all day on 7 May in the garage to replace the interior heater core. For this work is not required special tools. Mostly need 10 mm, 12 mm, a screw driver, and basic cheap tools. The top dashboard and the middle can be removed in less than one hour. Just need to be able to release the old radiator,
by moving 4 inches away from the firewall inside the cabin. The old radiator have a sensor "implant", inside the radiator. So, is needed in the new radiator to make a safe indentation, to accommodate this sensor (size about 1.5 inch x 4 inches). I imagine that today after 16 years Toyota will not have that big,
ugly, and orange/copper color plate in the new model cars.

My surprise start when I open the passenger side top corner roof to find water (from rain the night before). I not have a sun/moon roof. How the water find a way to inside the cabin?

The heat radiator is hold just by one screw on the top of the 2 pipes (the picture was taken after removing that screw with the top plate).

Here in the picture is the car without heater core (center picture).

Scion xB 2004, with out the heater core.

The new Interior heater core planning for indentation size, shape and direction.

Here in the picture are the old heater core and the new heater core in my hand. They have same shape, same size, and looks like is made from same material.

Here in the picture is the right side of the original heater core that have a plastic attachment that will let the core to slide out only half way. This is not the best design.

This is how was the old indentation in the heater core and need to be done in the new heater core (or else).

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-08-2020 at 03:01 PM.