Scion xb is capable of great MPG!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jkrepps
As a truck driver, I really hope no one on these forums is stupid or retarded enough to actually try drafting a large truck. When doing so, you not only restrict your field of vision AND narrow your focus to maintaining a ludicrously close distance at the cost of paying attention to all other factors in driving. In addition, if they are a good driver, you force them to slow down in order to make 'slower' emergency stops, which means you are probably burning more total fuel since the driver will be loosing momentum and having to regain it when 'the tailgating DA' finally moves on. For anyone who tailgates for 'mpg', unless you are nearly touching the bumper, the gains aren't that good. And to close, I hope anyone who does this only has vehicle damage in the wreck they eventually cause. Safe driving > MPG. Period.

(Edit to add: This post is not directed at anyone who has posted, since I think even the OP stated he does not draft, but more as a general 'please, don't do it')
Amen, bruddah!
Well said -
Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jkrepps
As a truck driver, I really hope no one on these forums is stupid or retarded enough to actually try drafting a large truck. When doing so, you not only restrict your field of vision AND narrow your focus to maintaining a ludicrously close distance at the cost of paying attention to all other factors in driving. In addition, if they are a good driver, you force them to slow down in order to make 'slower' emergency stops, which means you are probably burning more total fuel since the driver will be loosing momentum and having to regain it when 'the tailgating DA' finally moves on. For anyone who tailgates for 'mpg', unless you are nearly touching the bumper, the gains aren't that good. And to close, I hope anyone who does this only has vehicle damage in the wreck they eventually cause. Safe driving > MPG. Period..
I totally agree with your last statement about safety being more important then drafting to save gas.

However, I have found that drafting behind a fairly large truck(moving truck , or semi) and being about 3-4 seconds behind the truck(say going the same mph, 55 or 60) does increase mpg (ex. not drafting and having direct wind resistance = 38mpg , vs. the situation I just outlined above you'd be getting at least 42-44 mpg.

As a driver, as long as your paying attention for every second while behind drafing and not being too close behind, there shouldn't be much/ if any cause for concern. When I occationally do it, its for breif periods of time (1-2 minutes) , its always on a flat (never on a downhill) , and in the slow lane. I dont stay back behind for extended periods of time, as a driver you can get yourself into a trance so to speak .... tunnel vision , which isn't good.

A good position to be in to increase mpg is behind the large truck, in the fast lane (while the truck is in the slow lane) , about 20-30 feet from the rear of the truck drafting off the back .
Old 05-02-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clears Throat, drafting any vehicle even in the lane next to it helps. Sure 2 ft from a semi can give you 60-70 mpg, but tailgating is illegal and those tires can blow out in to a big mess if you run them over.

Basically give it an inch on the gas and let the car come up to speed. Try the right vs left lane and go at or below the posted limit. Also, instead of giving it gas to pass someone or change lanes, let off the gas, slow down and pull in behind them.

With odb2 fuel management, as long as there is no throttle input and rpms over 1700, the engine shuts off. Just take it to 3 grand in 2nd, then let off and notice when you hit 1700 rpms it jerks as it refires back to life. Because of this, there is no benefit to turn the key off when engine braking, only at stops. I too kill it at long lights and rail road crossings.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

99% of thee time I'm in no rush to go anywhere. I might as well save my gas for the time I really need it. Theres a women at my work who always tells me that I drive like an old man - she flys past me on the way to work - My response to her is : I'm in no rush to get to work any faster. That usually shuts her up!!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you get honked at and flipped off alot?
I bet people burn out around you in anger huh?

When I driver conservativly people always tear out around me and look at me like "whats your problem!"

Then, I end up catching up with them at the next red light...
morons. :D
Old 05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no burn outs or fingers lots of hand waving!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member

hmmm... I get 35+ mpg everytime and i don't drive like a grandma either
Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_M_A_N
Do you get honked at and flipped off alot?
I bet people burn out around you in anger huh?

When I driver conservativly people always tear out around me and look at me like "whats your problem!"

Then, I end up catching up with them at the next red light...
morons. :D
lol +1. its always funny when im on the way home from work and have seen numerous cars blowing by me on the freeway doing 75mph+ and then end up right behind them at the stoplight where we both get off the freeway. it's a subtle pleasure picturing how much more is coming out of their wallet at each fill-up compared to me for the same amount of miles :-)
Old 05-07-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like I've always said, 1/2 of it is what kind of car you drive, the other 1/2 is the driver operating the vehicle = results in what kind of gas milage is attained. I'm actually starting to think more + more that the driver ability to attain greater gas milage should be given more weight- like 60% , and 40% vehicle.

If all automobile drivers could change there driving habits to drive a little slower on the freeway/highway (55-65 mph), not brake so much when going around bends or UPHILL , etc . ....... the US would save thousands and thousands of gallons of gas per day.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All cars should, and will, have a supplemental battery and regenerative braking in the future. So slamming on the brakes at a stoplight won't be so bad 10 years from now
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
like I've always said, 1/2 of it is what kind of car you drive, the other 1/2 is the driver operating the vehicle = results in what kind of gas milage is attained. I'm actually starting to think more + more that the driver ability to attain greater gas milage should be given more weight- like 60% , and 40% vehicle.

If all automobile drivers could change there driving habits to drive a little slower on the freeway/highway (55-65 mph), not brake so much when going around bends or UPHILL , etc . ....... the US would save thousands and thousands of gallons of gas per day.
True.
Too bad there's like 80% not so good drivers to the 20% that care.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmm , i get about 32mpg no matter how i drive....
Old 05-08-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by cobb

With odb2 fuel management, as long as there is no throttle input and rpms over 1700, the engine shuts off. Just take it to 3 grand in 2nd, then let off and notice when you hit 1700 rpms it jerks as it refires back to life. Because of this, there is no benefit to turn the key off when engine braking, only at stops. I too kill it at long lights and rail road crossings.
the engine doesn't shut off but fuel is cutoff.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just filled up and nearly made a mess in my pants. I knew it was going to be a record breaking trip. My total miles for the tank was an all time high 434.3. I usually average 390-404. My new all time high MPG is........47.1!! my all time high before this 44.9

This last tank I filled up with Sunoco verse Shell. I also did way more continuous highway driving(80% of tank) and rotated the tires.

I'm very very happy. I never imagined I would be so excited to go to the gas station to fill-up
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 AM
SL Member

ok so there's something wrong here. people keep saying that they're using "engine braking" to get better gas mileage? either i'm COMPLETELY lost on what the term "engine braking" means or there are a few confused individuals.

to my understanding engine braking is the philosophy of slowing the vehicle down with the engine (duh) rather than the brakes (again, duh). this either involves leaving the car in gear and rolling along without giving the car ANY throttle to allow the engine to slow down... OR it involves downshifting to get the engine to a higher rpm and then rolling along without giving the car any throttle to allow the engine to slow down (when faster deceleration is desired).

in both cases the engine is kept at a speed which is FASTER THAN THAT OF AN IDLE. so my question is this: how can that possibly save gas? it doesn't. is spends gas! when all other things are held as constant with the only variable being rpms then the answer is higher rpms = more fuel consumption.

how does it save gas!? the mind boggles...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This last fill-up I tried driving very conservatively as an experiment. I am happy to report by changing just my driving habits I gained approximately another 70 miles on the tank.
Slow take-offs from the light, taking it out of gear gliding to red lights, and keeping rpms under 3k when possible.
The only engine mod is an axle-back exhaust.
Now I want more!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by L33TFooMaster
ok so there's something wrong here. people keep saying that they're using "engine braking" to get better gas mileage? either i'm COMPLETELY lost on what the term "engine braking" means or there are a few confused individuals.

to my understanding engine braking is the philosophy of slowing the vehicle down with the engine (duh) rather than the brakes (again, duh). this either involves leaving the car in gear and rolling along without giving the car ANY throttle to allow the engine to slow down... OR it involves downshifting to get the engine to a higher rpm and then rolling along without giving the car any throttle to allow the engine to slow down (when faster deceleration is desired).

in both cases the engine is kept at a speed which is FASTER THAN THAT OF AN IDLE. so my question is this: how can that possibly save gas? it doesn't. is spends gas! when all other things are held as constant with the only variable being rpms then the answer is higher rpms = more fuel consumption.

how does it save gas!? the mind boggles...
I believe when engine braking above a certain RPM the fuel injectors are shut down, thus using no gas. I'm not an expert on this though.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Yes, that is correct about engine braking - above about 1700 rpm or so, there won't be any fuel fed through the injectors. I didn't understand it, either! It is a trade-off between gliding longer in neutral to conserve speed,(using a LOT less gas) or wanting to slow down by using the engine braking, using no gas.

It really makes a HUGE difference to get the immediate feedback that the scan gauge provides. It helped me identify right away what things make a difference. I couldn't ever get much over 30mpg on a regular basis, even driving "thoughtfully"...

My current tank looks to come in a bit above 40mpg.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1epoXyBox
This last fill-up I tried driving very conservatively as an experiment. I am happy to report by changing just my driving habits I gained approximately another 70 miles on the tank.
Slow take-offs from the light, taking it out of gear gliding to red lights, and keeping rpms under 3k when possible.
The only engine mod is an axle-back exhaust.
Now I want more!
great job on getting more MPG. If you don't have a scanguarg yet - go get one ! Keep up the great work
Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
hmm , i get about 32mpg no matter how i drive....
x2 with 18's..i am now on 15's maybe I will get better

Quick Reply: Scion xb is capable of great MPG!