Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion xB Classic..How is yours holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I had my 2005 BSP xB 5spd since 8/30/05. It never failed me once of its doing. Ran out of gas once but that was my fault. Never had a problem either, never changed the clutch and had just changed the factory belts. Steady diet of 5w30 mobile1 full syn and amsoil gear oil in the tranny. She ran 230666 and then met her maker. Killed by a kia with a driver on the cell phone. Kia ran a red light and hit it in the drivers front wheel at about 35-40mph. DOA, Me I walked away pretty much untouched. Felt like I had lost a member of my family. So many good times and so many trips with the family, I can't count them all. All I can say is "Love Your Box"!!!! I have been unable to find another box that has not been ragged out/mistreated. I may just bit the bullet and get a new second gen box, we'll see.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 AM

Default 2005 xB

I replaced the alternator, belts, battery and break pads.. outside of that my ten year old horse is plugging away at 120K miles. I'm the original owner.

The caveat to that is I might have a bad ignition switch to add to the checklist this week and new shocks wouldn't hurt lol

Damn good car though.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-04-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2006, bought new from sales floor. I have motored over 252,000 miles on it! Still driving today.

Replaced coolant, belts, battery, charcoal filter near filler tube, muffler, FR drive shaft, ....umm.....various little things. Most all usual wear/tear items.

I've never had a car with over a 1/4 million miles. Crazy!

Oh,....just had to replace the plate (new law in Mich., after 10 years, the plate MUST go). The screws were rusted solid! I had to drill them out. Major PITA.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is a sad day for me as I think my 2005 Scion xB has bit the dust! I purchased it new in July of 2005 and it has motored along for me to the tune of 328,000 miles without barely a glitch or a hiccup but yesterday I was towed to my mechanic shop from the highway and I think it is done once and for all! Boy does that pain me to say! I was not ready for this! I thought I would easily make 400,000 miles but we fell short! Trying to decided whether it is worth it to try and get a second hand motor and do a swap or if i should just give up and move on?! At 328,000 miles and not much money spent on repairs over the last 10 years she really doesn't owe me anything and I probably should just let her go but it is very hard for me!

Sincerely,

Quite Sad
Old 09-10-2015, 02:22 AM

I'm happy to see some of these cars went so far! I just hit 112k and was getting so nervous that I'm looking for another 1st gen to "restore" for when this little guy dies.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 AM

Hi I have a 06 xB that's bagged. I'm gonna take them out and replace with Koni's and need to know if there is a rear spring flange welded on the body that's been taken off mine. Also curious as to the stock tire height from the ground to the top of the tires.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 2005 5spd, bought new in 2004 and has 150k on it now. Put bodykit, wheels, and lowered right away. Other than regular maintenance... -Crank position sensor filled with oil and died. Had to be towed back a mile to my shop. -Evap purge valve by the fuel tank rusted, giving check engine light. Repaired 3 times. It's strange that my car has nothing in common with any of the others here. Runs great, 28-34mpg. Kinda nervous about the clutch at this point. Not sure what to expect.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:56 AM

2005 Camo metallic...bought new, zero miles (I have a 2013 XB Marine Blue, too)....my hatch handle died and was rigged by a friend. A zillion oil changes, a few sets of tires, a few belt changes, etc....really, the car is a gem. 178,000 miles in Chicago. I was hit twice, both rear end damage. Minor scratches and door dings. Gave the car to my husband and now I drive the 2013, which I LOVE and which has the cool vertical led lights. I am a happy Scion fan!!! I like my classic Scion alot...I want to keep it forever!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my 2005 xB 5 speed new in December of 2004. It now has only 38,000 miles on it with only a few little issues. The driver side door lock actuaters stopped working and I have no intention of replacing that. Kept up with regular oil changes, coolant changes, front brake pads, and filters. I love this little hauler.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Default 236K Miles

Been wanting to come here to ask about peoples xbs. Bought my 2006 xb brand new at 2 miles. I've got 236K miles on it. So far I have not had any serious issues. I changed the battery once. Factory battery finally gave up. Replaced the front rotors actually not too long ago. They were down really bad. Of course i've changed the front brake pads. I've never looked at the rear drums to inspect. Need to do one day. AC compressor went out. replaced that. Replaced the water pump to be safe. Original water pump didn't give me any issues. My xb was over heating the past two summers when outside temps were high or if I sat at idle too long with AC on. I replaced the thermostat, but didn't help. I decided to replaced the radiator. When I took the old radiator out I saw that the fins were all clogged with dirt. I couldn't even see through it. It couldn't dissipate heat. Well now it's doing good with a alluminum racing radiator. It also came with external trans oil cooler. Mine is AT. I've flushed the trans and change the ATF filter three times so far.

I'm just waiting on the alternator to go out on me one day. It's the original. How long do they usually last? I'm worried. I've been rear ended. Replaced the liftgate. Been broken into through the driver door. Had the driver door and glass replaced. Also worried about timing chain and probably the ignition system. Most likely individual coils will give out.

Car still runs strong. Though the engine don't sound so quiet anymore and a lot of times when stopped at red light the idle will drop low. Just recently I started noticing the front suspension thumps when hitting small bumps. Time for new struts and shocks.

Sorry so much. I just really love my xb. Gonna keep it forever and keep fixing it. It's taken me from San Diego to San Francisco. Hasn't let me down. Never left me stranded. Son just turned six yesterday. We had it before he was born. Other son is 2 and 4 mos. They'll always remember our xb.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50 PM
SL Member

Default 2005 XB

Bought it used with 50K now at 175K Miles, New Clutch, Batteries, brake pads, tires, water pump, O2 Sensors, windshield, Plugs Cleaned the cam sensor, and the three stooges just popped up this week so I need look at that.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my 06 xB since Oct 2005 and I just hit 57,000 miles. It's been a great car the whole time. Of course I've had a few problems, the worst being the water pump went out at the 6 year/30,000 mile point. I've replaced the tires twice, battery once, and I got new brake pads. The worst thing I did to this car was getting tricked into buying Michelin Harmony tires. They were horrible and didn't 20K! Although I didn't buy them at Wal-Mart I later found out those Harmony's were Wal-Mart tires.

So right now I've got a ten year old xB with Viper remote start, Panasonic Car DVD, Coverkings for the two front seats, and a few other odds and ends.

I really dig cars and I lust after some of the new models but I just can't replace my xB since it's in pretty good shape as I know I'd regret it.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bought new Jul'06. Sitting at 123K right now. Just checked valve clearances - inlets are .008"-.009" Exhausts are .013" with 2 at .014". So on average about 1/2 to 1 thou looser than at 60K miles. Compression pressure cold is 205-215psi on all 4.
Only issues have been that it burns thru spark plugs rapidly, the blower motor had to be replaced at 110K and I had to fix the "AUX" plug down by the handbrake. Everything else still works.
List does not include regular maintenance items - brakes, oil, filters, wipers, tires etc

It has been a great car - influenced me to buy an Xb mk2 and a corolla
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by preciousgem
This is a sad day for me as I think my 2005 Scion xB has bit the dust! I purchased it new in July of 2005 and it has motored along for me to the tune of 328,000 miles without barely a glitch or a hiccup but yesterday I was towed to my mechanic shop from the highway and I think it is done once and for all! Boy does that pain me to say! I was not ready for this! I thought I would easily make 400,000 miles but we fell short! Trying to decided whether it is worth it to try and get a second hand motor and do a swap or if i should just give up and move on?! At 328,000 miles and not much money spent on repairs over the last 10 years she really doesn't owe me anything and I probably should just let her go but it is very hard for me!

Sincerely,

Quite Sad
If it is a stick, and you still have it, i will trade you a running project mustang for the XB1. Or buy it right out..
Been looking for a High Mileage XB1 i could save with a swap, or a full on racing 1nzfe build..
PM me if you are interested..
Old 10-23-2015, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

167K miles. I bought at 148K

I can only volunteer body/interior issues as my drivetrain is total custom.

Rear brakes and drums were shot - replaced. Front rotors are original, don't know about pads but lots of life left on what is there.

Replaced all 4 wheel bearings (fronts were starting to go, rears were probably OK) and all 4 struts and front A-arms (all this on abundance of caution as part of the EV conversion I did)

Various interior plastic trim bits that were broken replaced with good wrecking yard bits.

Driver's door lock and passenger side rear door lock motors are intermittent.

Rear handle replaced with aftermarket.

Car had been rear ended in a minor accident at some point before I got it, which gave it a newer bumper cover. I got rear ended by a Ford Excursion. Wrecked the bumper cover but the support beam took 99% of the blow. No unibody or panel damage. Got a new beam, impact absorbers and bumper cover from that. Then my tenant backed into it and scraped the hell out of the bumper cover. Grr.

Engine was running and passed emissions before I removed it. It needed belts but I didn't notice anything else it needed.

Had mild hop-up / bling stuff like an intake, strut bar, wheels, ground effect lighting, etc. All of that is gone except the strut bar and front springs.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bought 2004 xB RS 1.0 in 2008 with 36,000 miles, now have 206,000 miles with no problems. Been thru three sets of spark plugs, six sets of tires, new springs and shocks/struts, cause we took them off my other car that got wrecked. Power steering hasn't worked for 100,000 miles, but I'm pretty sure the shop did that. (belt won't stay on). Still on original clutch!!
Old 10-25-2015, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default Frame Rustthrough

I love my xBs. I have a 2005 and a 2006. Replaced the cat back exhaust 3 times on the 2005 and once on the 2006. Just replaced front wheel bearings on the 2005 at 135000 miles. I want to keep these cars for a long time. I have pulled the carpet and seats on the 05 and sprayed bed liner on the floors put the carpet and seats back. I was brushing surface rust of the pass side rear frame rail in preparation to spray it with bed liner when I noticed that the bottom of the frame rail had rusted through. I have no rust on the body but the frame is rusting out like the pictures I have seen of the Tacoma frames. I am curious as to whether anyone else is having the same problem.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey ManInDboX,.....my 2006 manual clutch is DEAD. If/when I can get into a gear, it grinds horribly! (but moves)
I has over 258,000 miles. I am, as I type, looking for replacement vehicle. If you can find use for the rest of the vehicle - great - lets talk. I live in Okemos, Michigan (near Lansing).
Old 11-03-2015, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my 2006 xB Release 4.0 new in early 2007, have about 123,000 miles on it. The normal issues with tires, change batteries, brakes have been it for me, I did have to change out the a/c fan resistor and fan motor in 4-2014, it started acting up again and I put the original fan motor back in, I replaced both when the fan was INOP not knowing which one is was, guess it was the resistor the first time. Thinking it's the fan motor this time because I had to manually turn the squirrel cage to get it going. That has been the only issue with my car to date, thank goodness. In 2007, changed wheels,new Sony dual DIN 7 " receiver with some Polk Audio speakers, a flat Scosche sub in the back. Wonderful work car for 50 year old dude.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I bought 2005 in December of '04. I have 202,000 miles on it.
I did have to replace the 5 speed tranny because I never checked or changed the tranny fluid. That was about 40,000 miles ago. New clutch at the same time.
Replaced all rotors and drums at around 170,000.
On my 3rd set of plugs. Just had to change my drivers side door accuator.
This has been the most reliable and cheapest to maintain car I have ever had. It seems to be getting a little slow, but it still drives great.

Quick Reply: Scion xB Classic..How is yours holding up?