Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion xB Classic..How is yours holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey All! Been a good while since I've been on the 'Forum..
My '06.5 manual trans is now a 4 wheels down toad behind the motor coach....
Wife's '06.5 BOP auto 45,000 (+ or -) miles.. pure stock xB (with powder coated stock rims/beauty rings & grease cups, WeatherTech rain deflectors on all door windows.) NO accidents and clean Carfax.
Going on the market within the next month or so. Oil change & tire rotate every 3k, With the low miles and pure stock, will consider Best Offer.

Please PM me me if Interested. Or look for my Future Sales Thread in PPC: Vehicles

Thanks,

saddlesore

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-12-2019, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mines at 94K now, we bought it new back in December 2006 with 6 miles on it.

I've replaced the water pump a couple times, the only reason for that is that the Bosch replacement pump crapped out and I replaced it with an Aisin like I should have in the first place. Rear wheel hubs replaced about a year ago with Timken hubs, alternator, front brakes multiple times, shocks swapped over to Tokico blues around 6 years ago, front drivers window motor/regulator. I've changed the auto transmission fluid/filter a couple times myself over the last 13 years of ownership. All maintenance was performed by myself the entire time I have owned this car, it's so simple and easy to work on.

The clear coat on the roof and hood is starting to fail but not yet peeling or anything, I blame that on the fact that the garage is occupied by our other cars and it sits outside in the brutal central California sun.

I bought my wife a 2017 iM a couple years ago to replace the 06.5 xB and decided to hold onto it. We are actually turning the keys over to our daughter as soon as she gets her license in the next couple months, it'll make a great first car for her. The fact that I know it's been maintained and is in great shape will put my mind at ease, had we bought a car off craigslist or something for her that wouldn't be the case.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:31 AM
SL Member

Default 05 Box (l'il engine that HAS!)

I have literally had 128 @ 8ft 2x4s on my roof rack (smooth as a Caddy! LoL)

I have owned her since new and other than normal bs drive line stuff (1 radiator... oops, my mistake trying to screw plastic under carriage to something! ) I am @ 246k... still trucking!
I'm about to rebuild the suspension and exhaust system... JDM long block? (Input SERIOUSLY welcomed...) Still running tho! Idle sucks and uses .5 qt per 1-2k miles...

Love it!

_____
Old 03-04-2020, 01:14 AM
SL Member

Default Interior Heat Core is Not Performing

Hi, my Scion xB 2004 had a similar accident (s). My car was declared totaled back in 2011. The Insurance, give me a delicious check, and I keep my beloved car.
Today I have cosmetic rear bumper problem. I am looking to get a bumper replacement (from junk yard for about 9 years). I found a rear bumper in Florida for $49 (from a donor red color car Scion xB 2006.). This was located in Orlando, Florida on January 2020. I get busy in New Jersey and never got to drive to this deal. My next project on my Scion xB 1st Generation is to replace the heater interior radiator core. The engine is in great shape, the car have no problems, and offer no surprises. Currently I have 168k miles, on exterior the paint/body have extremely low rust. The car size is smaller than majority of the cars, so is easy to find parking on the street and maneuver to park on the side of the street between cars. Also, no attempts from criminals to break in, or to stealing the car to show off to gangsta friends. If I need and want parts, still are plenty Toyota(brand name) parts to fix and restore to it's original glory and prestige.

I will like to meet in week-ends with other owners of Scion, to talk about, eat a pizza and even help each other like to do an oil change.

So Please PM me.

See you soon.
Thank you.

Update. Today 6 May 2020. I was to local Food Store. The heat is not coming out from the car vents. My little food thermometer show 50 Degrees Fahrenheit at the air exit.The fan is working. The Battery get charged at: 13.8Volts. I check the Antifreeze is at full level and get hot as needed. The transmission fluid
is at the right level and having red color. The oil is clean, like the Honey color and have no gas smell. I will need to replace my small interior core heater tomorrow. I will look now for some videos or I will try to find on-line some stories, on how to replace on Scion xB First Generation the interior heater core like a Pro.
Thank you for having a functional website here with lots of car lovers/dedicated people (in those "special times").

*Administrator's Note: for Security reasons, Personal Info i.e. phone numbers, email addresses Not Allowed in Tech Forums.
Use PM (Private Messages to exchange Personal Info).

The heater core for Scion xB 2004, is waiting to be install tomorrow. Can he waits one more day?

This is the picture before I will remove tomorrow the dash board to replace the interior heater core. I am curious if this will be removed how does this car inside will look like?

Here I chose Deka battery "imported" from Pennsylvania. Better that other brands. I find out that was last night a family of
rodents eating chicken on my engine. They left chicken bones on the top. This car can be a safe heaven not only for humans.

The alternator have high output 200Amp. Also, new Engine mounts, and a must silicone radiator
red color hoses. I hears that those will improve with the liquid hot pressure dispersion. It is right?

The heater is not working. The Little Thermometer shows temperature 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Need to replace the
interior heater core. I Got an estimate for the labor $375). For 7 May 2020. Do I have a choice to wait, and drive like this?

Looks like the Aluminum Interior heater core is hold by the top bracket with one screw between the pipes. Does this have a heating sensor?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-12-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm at about 161K with my 05 Camouflage automatic. We're the original owners, but we sold it to our daughter after a few years. We bought it back a few years later and I had to do some work on the bumpers and fender liners (mainly replace clips). , but it didn't cost much and still looks good. My daughter had the water pump replaced once with an off-brand and it didn't last long. She also didn't change the belt with the water pump and it failed a few years later. I just changed it to an Aisin and that should last the rest of its life. Three door lock actuators have failed, both front and one rear. My right rear window won't roll down but nobody ever rides back there anyway. Other than that it's been basic maintenance...plugs, air filters, oil changes, and 1 transmission oil service (I should have another one done soon). I should replace 2 of the tires which are 9 years old. Living in the desert, there's no rust. We keep it garaged so there's not much sun damage either. We no longer commute so this car won't get a lot more miles. We've kept this car longer than any other.

Northern Arizona

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-10-2020 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-10-2020, 05:11 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by LowerLevelMan
2006, bought new from sales floor. I have motored over 252,000 miles on it! Still driving today.
Replaced coolant, belts, battery, charcoal filter near filler tube, muffler, FR drive shaft, ....umm.....various little things. Most all usual wear/tear items.
I've never had a car with over a 1/4 million miles. Crazy!
Oh,....just had to replace the plate (new law in Mich., after 10 years, the plate MUST go). The screws were rusted solid! I had to drill them out. Major PITA.
I just went to put new rear plates on my GFs 2006 xB with 213K on it. Philips screws wouldn't turn. OK, got impact wrench, no prob. Well, I broke off both screw heads, and wound up drilling out the license plate screws, just like you.
This is a Washington car, I'd guess originally from the Kirkland, WA dealership. Drilled them out, and stuck a chunk of small plastic zip-tie in the hole to help the new screws hold.
Front screws were fastened into the plastic bumper cover, no problem getting those out.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:04 PM
SL Member

2006, dark green, manual, ~155k miles now, 3rd owner, bought it at about 40k miles in 2008. So far so good. I drive it to work 5 days a week in heavy traffic so it gets fairly tough usage. One coil pack died one day and I drove it 30 miles on 3 cylinders to the repair shop. Aside from being down on power, it did not complain. On my 2nd rear bumper and 3rd bumper cover. Rear-ended hard twice and both times the very strong rear end took the punishment without a speck of sheet metal getting bent. Ran over a semi tyre carcass and it didn't hit anything much until the rear bumper cover and it tore that off. One day with very strong gusts metal scraps blew out onto the interstate during rush hour and I hit a few. Right rear tyre blew up and off, leaving nothing but the beads, seriously (and they were good Michelin tyres, though a bit old). I watched the tyre roll off in its own direction in the right side mirror. xB was so stable that at 70mph on three wheels it didn't twitch and I moved across 5 lanes of traffic to the shoulder. I felt lucky that day! Irritants? Yeah, the &^#F$%@ door locks that get stuck in damp cold weather but work fine during the summer. I keep my MTB in the back most of the time so I'm always ready to hit a bike trail after work if I can. Nobody steals it and it doesn't get any more weathering than necessary. Few small cars could swallow that and still have room for a front seat passenger. I get 33 mpg if I drive aggressively and 34 mpg if I drive easy, on side streets or interstate, it doesn't really matter. I think the aerodynamics and low rear gearing of the 5 speed models keeps highway mileage from being any better than city. 6 speed transmission, please!

Question: I bought a pair of auxiliary lights off eBay that fit the sockets well. A few years later I removed the wiring I'd done and noticed there was wiring for them, taped up, from the factory. But I don't know if I can tap into the wiring harness anywhere to get to that to wire in the switch and relay. Anybody know?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:27 AM
SL Member

my 06 is @ around 140k. It runs good but the throwout bearing is making noise and sometimes i think i hear the real wheel bearings. So far the only needed repairs were front wheel bearings, full exhaust, and a old battery.

The rust though... body wise there is a little rust at the front passenger side bottom corner. alot of the underside is pretty rusty.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:17 PM
SL Member

Default 2004 Scion xB..

My daughters ride, just bought it with 185000.

How long do you think she has before the seize that ends all Toyotas?

Old 05-08-2020, 04:11 PM
SL Member

I think as long as the oil is checked often and filled when necessary, the engine shouldn't seize as the engine seizes when it is deprived of oil.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:34 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Birsan
The heater is not working. The Little Thermometer shows temperature 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Need to replace the interior heater core. I Got an estimate for the labor $375). For 7 May 2020.
Personally I would try flushing the core before replacing it.

​​​​
Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM
SL Member

Hi, on last September 2019, I was to the garage to flush the core. Was little or no results. Then in October I do myself the radiator cleaning. This time, I use a professional formula for plumbers for drain opener. This (lab tested formula) was advertised that will remove also the calcium and rust deposits. I fill up the core with that liquid and wait 15 minutes. I flush again with water. Then also no results. So, the replacing of the interior heating core was needed. After replacing the core heating radiator 7 minute later the heat was coming out as expected. Today I can get easily to about 140 Fahrenheit degrees. I remove the electric core heater (500 Watts) from the floor. I have more space in the cabin. Looks like Scion xB 2004 was made with a great engine. The computer accepted the new after market heater core. No code is ever display. Today after driving 2,000 Milles with the new heater core. I check the red color radiator coolant level. Just was needed 2 table spoons. I not have (I not see) leaks of new coolant on the floor of the cabin. The side plastic reservoir from the front radiator needs cleaning/maintenance. At the very bottom from some reason collects dirt? Or something. Do they build in those days maintenance fee cars?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:41 PM
SL Member

You give me hope ! Yay almost 300,000! I am at 150,000 and love my '06 xB.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2020 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question

Anyone know where I could get the horn badge such as the one on the left of this post.
Mine has lots of worn spots, otherwise the car and cabin look pretty new (6K).

Or, has anyone tried to paint it with chrome or silver paint or lay down a layer of silver leaf?

Thanks, Kerry
2006 xB

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-13-2020 at 02:04 AM. Reason: WTB (Want To Buy) Not Allowed Per Forum Rules
Old 09-04-2020, 01:27 AM
SL Member

Hi, I install today an original used Scion xB 2004 rear bumper. The donor car was from Junk-yard (Recycle) Pennsylvania. I was happy, and positively surprised to find that a rear bumper from 2004 have high quality, my dark cloud color, and have LED red color side lights. My car was declared 10 years ago a total loss. I drove with an after market bumper made from fiberglass. The aftermarket bumper after 10 years of use keep falling apart. Not recommended. The original Scion rear bumper is look like new, is flexible, and acting like a bumper. This have all qualities required from a rear bumper. For some reason the screw from the exhaust side under the car (10 millimeter size) get rusty, and need replacement. That screw is important because hold the bumper and the lip/skirt. Scion xB 2004 have the best car design, compared to other brand name cars and compared even with the new cars. Scion xB 2004 is drama free!

Scion xB 2004 Rear Bumper 10 mm holding Bolt.
Looks like there is the best location for the bolt.
The Bumper is not moving on highways with the wind.

The Original Rear Bumper have LED red lights.
Not need to replace like the old incandescent bulb lights every 3-5 years.
Maintenance free. Thank you Scion designers/manufacturer.

I not find a use for the metal attachment to the bumper yet.
The one in this picture. I am open for suggestions.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-04-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:52 AM
SL Member

@Kerry, my Scion xB 2004 have two originals horns. High (550 Hz) and low (450 Hz). Last year one of them was badly damage cosmetic and functional, from partial rust (or so). I use Brake cleaner. When was still wet (outside the radiator car), I push the horn button from the steering wheel. This produced a flame. The flame in about 10 seconds clean the horn. So, I not need to paint the horn. After more than one year, the horn is still working, not need replacement. Just be careful with the fire!
I instal on my other car a shiny silver color brand new set of horns (not from Toyota). After 4 Months those horns stop working. Very cheaply made. Not recommended.
Looks like only the ones installed original by the manufacturer (Toyota), have longer life.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:21 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ziggyg55
These cars will stand the test of time. I'm looking for a 2006.5 version, its very hard to find one locally with the 5 speed manual in decent shape though. The search continues
Any particular reason why the 2006.5 instead of the 2005.5? I have the 2005.5. I got my GF the 2006.auto, and I did notice a few differences, like hers has a cruise control, which I think I can add to my 05. Also hers has an armrest console, which I have on order. What diffs make the 06 better than the 05?
Old 01-16-2021, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my 2006 xB with automatic transmission in 2006 for $13,000.00. It only had 600 miles on it so the warranty was transferable to me. It now has 65,000 miles and still running nicely The mpg now averages 27 compared with 31 when new. I added cruise control, a roof rack, fog lights (in the holes provided) and just had a CQuartz ceramic applied, it looks like new.

As much as I'd like 4 wheel disk brakes, as with the 2007 xBs, I prefer the better mpg with my '06.

Bluebook for mine, in very good condition, is at least $3000.00 —not bad for a 15-yr-old car.

I don't carry the spare or a jack (I'm counting on my cell phone for towing). Over a period of 15-years 45lbs = less weight = less gas.

The only mechanical repair has been replacing the AC compressor several years ago. I just had the AC topped off. They said it will eventually require a horrendous amount to remove the dash to fix it permanently. The top-off has worked for three months.

I recently had all the speakers replaced due to rotten surrounds; it sounds better than ever.

Last edited by Kerry; 08-13-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by SkipperJimmy13
Any particular reason why the 2006.5 instead of the 2005.5? I have the 2005.5. I got my GF the 2006.auto, and I did notice a few differences, like hers has a cruise control, which I think I can add to my 05. Also hers has an armrest console, which I have on order. What diffs make the 06 better than the 05?
The 06.5 revision had an upgraded radio, steering wheel controls, and aux input in the center console.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:27 PM
SL Member

Default Love Both xBs

I have a 2006 Camo 5 speed with 300,000 miles on the original everything, including original clutch, except for an alternator and changed out the coil packs with OEM. Also Koni shocks/struts with Eibach lowering springs. Never wrecked but I did a number on the front passenger quarter panel moving my truck and hit it with a tire. This car is everything I knew it could be and more. Used during my census job last year, driving all over, but knew with this many miles, I had to find a replacement. And I did find one in Feb 2021. It's a 2006 Flint Mica automatic with 45,000 original miles. The woman backed into a few things and scuffed the rear bumper, but it runs great and was garaged. I normally get between 33 and 37 mpg with mixed driving in north GA with the automatic. The Camo 5 speed would consistently get 35-37.

My Camo 5 speed sat while I got used to an auto. It then developed the P0453 Code. So, ordering a new fuel pump and fuel pressure solenoid for it.

In my opinion, these are the best cars ever. Only regular maintenance and an occasional brake job, oil change, and spark plugs, which I do myself.

Moved my original TRD rear sway bar to the "new one", the flint mica, and changed the front sway bar end links to Energy Suspension. Both have the CAI. The Camo has the now out of business Fujitsu F5 CAI and
the "new one" has the same, but taken over by DC Sports. Just ordered a Meagan Racing H brace for the flint mica. If doing it over again, I wouldn't lower the flint mica. Easier to get in and out of with stock springs.

Not sure yet what to do with the 5 speed Camo, as I have too many vehicles now. Thought about putting it away in the barn or selling it after getting a new clutch.
I had a Cherry 1981 S model Scirocco and sold it back in 1995 or so for $1500, now they're worth big money and I never should have sold it! Think the xB will be sought after as well.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-12-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Scion xB Classic..How is yours holding up?