First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Spoiled for life by my xB ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Spoiled for life by my xB ...

Didn't take much car shopping to realize that I've been spoiled for life by the 1st gen xB. Nothing compares in visibility, leg room, versatility, economy, personality ... well, nothing under $25K. Elantra GT felt like a coffin, as did the Encore. The old 3rd gen RAV4 compares well for interior space and visibility, but just try and find one at a decent price! The current Ford Escape comes close, but driver's side knee room and real world MPG are deal breakers. I even found myself tempted by a slightly used Nissan Cube ... alas, it felt like adultery if not treason. Looks like I'm hanging on to the box for a while!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, there's just no replacement for the original xB. I'm super glad I've still got mine!
Old 03-05-2016, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm on my second 2006 5 speed xB and wouldn't trade it for the world. Sure, my cat could accelerate faster, but you cannot beat the visibility, mileage and fun factor that comes with driving one.

Oh, and as for a Nissan Cube, forget it. I rented on a number of years ago on a business trip. It didn't hold a candle to my first xB - which had 90,000 miles on it at the time. Same goes for the first generation Kia Soul. I do here the second generation is a ton better though.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the Cube intrigued me at first but it quickly faded far from my view. It's just a cheap car. I got in a Soul last month man it's nice but way too small inside compared to an xB1.

Is there any decent small car on the market that rides high like the xB1?
Old 03-05-2016, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlingSlade
Is there any decent small car on the market that rides high like the xB1?
The closest thing is probably an xA or a Yaris.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sithscripter
Didn't take much car shopping to realize that I've been spoiled for life by the 1st gen xB. Nothing compares in visibility, leg room, versatility, economy, personality ... well, nothing under $25K. Elantra GT felt like a coffin, as did the Encore. The old 3rd gen RAV4 compares well for interior space and visibility, but just try and find one at a decent price! The current Ford Escape comes close, but driver's side knee room and real world MPG are deal breakers. I even found myself tempted by a slightly used Nissan Cube ... alas, it felt like adultery if not treason. Looks like I'm hanging on to the box for a while!
I was given a RAV4 as a loaner for when I took the Highlander in for service (it's the tow vehicle for our Scamp camper) and I was thinking that it might be a good replacement for Stubby ('06 xB) if one were needed anytime soon. But as soon as I was back to driving Stubby, I realized that it wasn't so. The RAV4 was quite a bit larger on the outside, barely larger in the inside, and much worse for MPG . . . not to mention the blah looks. No, if I need to replace Stubby, I'll have to look for another 1st gen xB -- NOTHING else would do!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I travel a lot for work, so I'm in and out of rental cars all the time. I saw that they had the cube once, so i asked to have it for the week as a rental. Compared to the xB it is a total piece of crap. It rode like a turd, someone breathing on it on the freeway would practically cause you to sway out of your lane, and the worst was that it had this weird thing in the center of the dash... kind of like a **** carpet mat to put something on. It was a little creepy. Almost like a weird patch of automobile pubic hair growing in a circle right in the center of the dash.
Nothing like an xB. period. The cube is a half***ed French imitation of the xB. Terrible.