Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Still the Allegedly Weak Echo A/C?

Old 01-13-2005, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

Default Still the Allegedly Weak Echo A/C?

This subject was briefly discussed about a year ago, but maybe there's more to say.

We're probably going to be buying a new xB, but one thing concerning me is reported weak air conditioning. Barbara and I HATE the heat. As for modifying the car to boost the A/C, it doesn't sound that hard, but doing somthing like that isn't me.

So -- weak A/C, myth or reality?

And what about the idea that a refrigerator box AKA white car cools better? How true is that one?

Now, I'd go for white myself, but right now I'm outvoted by a pro-camo wife and daughter.

Steve Eisenberg Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Old 01-13-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if the air doesnt cool enough for you, there is a TSB to get it to cool better. i think they replace the compressor and some other stuff for free. but thats all i would be able to tell you.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The A/C is a bit weak, especially if you are used to the meat locker A/C on American cars, however I don't think its anywhere near bad enough to be a deal breaker.

I live in AZ, and my A/C was adequate throughout the summer, even in 110+ degree temperatures. It takes a little while to cool down if the car is sitting in the sun, but it will get the job done well enough.

I do have a white xB and they do stay a bit cooler. If you want to see that in action, all you have to do is find a black car and a white car both sitting in the sun. Touch the sheetmetal and you'll see that white stays relatively cool to the touch even in intense broiling sun, whereas the darker colors will get hot enough literally burn your skin a bit.

I wouldn't worry about that so much in PA though. If it's a concern then I would just narrow it down to the lighter colors like silver, white, even the orange...
Old 01-14-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota Technical Service bulletin #AC007-04 deals with the weak A/C problem. If you complain they will give you free under warranty, a new compressor and a new condenser, plus a couple other things. Its about a 6 hour job. The only downside is that they remove your front bumper and grill and your whole dah board assy.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I'm not mistaken that TSB was for 04 models, and the 05s have the new AC parts.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Banned
SL Member

the AC in all scions are weak, unless you live in a cold state, you are screwed......
Old 01-15-2005, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jrsixx
If I'm not mistaken that TSB was for 04 models, and the 05s have the new AC parts.
No, the TSB also applies to 2005 models, albeit with only the A/C Additional Kit needed for newer vehicles. However, it's stil a pretty extensive undertaking.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Still the Allegedly Weak Echo A/C?

Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg
This subject was briefly discussed about a year ago, but maybe there's more to say.

We're probably going to be buying a new xB, but one thing concerning me is reported weak air conditioning. Barbara and I HATE the heat. As for modifying the car to boost the A/C, it doesn't sound that hard, but doing somthing like that isn't me.

So -- weak A/C, myth or reality?

And what about the idea that a refrigerator box AKA white car cools better? How true is that one?

Now, I'd go for white myself, but right now I'm outvoted by a pro-camo wife and daughter.

Steve Eisenberg Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
I had no problem with the xB A/C this summer in Philly in my 2005 TCM. Most (though not all) of the issues seem to come from people with xB's in intensely hot places like Texas and Arizona.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
the AC in all scions are weak, unless you live in a cold state, you are screwed......
the ac in the tC is good. I live in California, and even in the Palm Springs weather it does just fine. The xB i have also is just fine. There doesnt seem to be any problem. But myself I dont like my car to be like the altantic in the middle of the night.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i bought my car too late in the year to really know the extent. guess i will find out in a few months
Old 01-15-2005, 07:10 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hondaxhonda
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
the ac in the tC is good. I live in California, and even in the Palm Springs weather it does just fine. The xB i have also is just fine. There doesnt seem to be any problem. But myself I dont like my car to be like the altantic in the middle of the night.
I bought mine in August and the air was fine. It takes awhile to cool down the xB because it has the huge interior.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jrsixx
I have a 05, and still had to have the TSB done for me.
However.
After it was done, I still have not noticed a real cold change. I live in SOUTH FLORIDA, where A/C is year round. And frankly, my new Beetle cools better then any car I have ever have. It gets to FREZZZZING in there.
The Box, on the other hand, only gets to Cool. And the Box does take longer to cool down then the Bug. Again, the space inside is obviously bigger for the Box, but that really does not explain why, up front, it does not freeze you.

I got the free upgrade this fall. It's not been that hot to test it out, in the past few weeks. I did have this one problem with it, where it started to blow hot air. The tech guy fixed it by releasing some pressure from it. Never had that happen before.

I hope this summer, it will be cooler. We'll see.