Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   Transmission Poll: Manual vs Automatic (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/transmission-poll-manual-vs-automatic-44/)

eric_m 09-24-2003 02:51 PM

yeah, it's fine. but it is slower. no big deal though. this car wasn't meant for speed anyway.

ccXB 10-04-2003 10:33 PM

5speed

bBofSD 10-06-2003 08:51 PM

Manual

I prefered the manual, i get to control the speed for each gear.....maual all the way!

LilDiz 10-08-2003 05:12 AM

L.A. Traffic Sucks

I got the good ol' automatic. I do alot of driving in L.A. area and ne1 who has driven in bumper to bumper knows how nice it is to have an automatic.

DR_xB 10-18-2003 03:07 AM

ROFLMAO!
this topic is a classic...
performance vs. puddintang :roll:
taking charge vs. takin' it easy

I agree with you Eric. we all drive in the dessert here in so cal!
although, sometimes it's a jungle. :twisted:

my first truck was a toyota pickup - 4 speed manual
lowered w/ wheels and fun to drive :D
second truck was a ford ranger 4x4 - 4 speed auto
just had the 4x4 thing going on :P
third truck is a toyota tundra 4x2 - 4 speed auto
cadillac with a bed in back :?
fourth will be the xB - MANUAL
cuz I'll fall asleep at the wheel if I own another automatic :wink:

clutch is tough in traffic -> Scion clutch is like butta
hand on stick shift instead of g/f -> let her 'shift' too! :wink:
can't hold my 44oz & burger -> remember the 'french fry passenger' commercial?
can't hold my 44oz & burger (solo) -> does the Scion come with cup holders?
etc, etc, etc...

manual vs. automatic is purely preference, I agree.
just don't let excuses decide your preferences!

DR_xB 10-18-2003 03:17 AM

sammypsycho,
I had a 125cc tony kart, which did about 90+ w/ selected gearing at Adams,
but a TZ250 in a shifter kart? Got any pics? what year TZ250?

eric_m 10-20-2003 03:50 PM

the scion has really low gearing and is pretty cool for heavy traffic. just leave it in first or second and you're done. and shifting is so effortless in this car, there really isn't a good reason to get an auto unless you just think the manual is too fast for you and need something slower with less gas mileage. in my subaru with lightened flywheel and really crazy gearing, traffic sucked. maybe that's why i don't mind my scion in traffic as much. i just like to choose what RPM my car shifts in i guess. low rpm shifting for cruising, and high rpm for darting around.

highend 10-30-2003 05:37 AM

I got automatic. Was leaning towards manual, but I want my folks and my girl to be able to drive it if need be, so I thought I'd keep it simple.

-HighEnd

yanges 11-15-2003 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by eric m.
ok, so after over 80 votes, we have a 60/40 split on manual vs. automatic. i wonder what that ratio is for element or PT cruiser owners. probably more like 20/80 manual to auto ratio. pretty interesting.

i have the stick myself.......

i noticed that there is now a long wait for the stick and loads of auto's around....

i do not know if that is due to demand for the auto, or the sticks all got bought up....

SMR 11-16-2003 08:19 AM

stick or automatic?

stick..with the trd short throw

BoxCrazy 11-23-2003 06:44 PM

We ordered the Auto even though I would have LOVED to get a manual my hubby is lazy!LOL~ Really he didn;t want to have to drive a manual in the traffic. But they are more fun to drive!!~ can you believe he won the argument??? of course he is the one buying it for me so I won't complain to much!!LOL~

izzles 11-24-2003 04:14 PM

Automatic I admit it...the motor is to small for a stick thats just my opinion...I have a stick in my honda so I needed a auto to relax in....

Al-Truistic 12-03-2003 03:32 PM

Automatic for me!

Cheshire_Cat 12-10-2003 09:51 AM

When I get an xB, that will be a manual.

CBSIMONSEZ 12-13-2003 10:48 PM

automatic

Confusious say "if man were meant to drive a 5 speed, he would have a 3rd foot"

CB

richdog 12-15-2003 12:32 AM

I got an automatic xb it will be in my possesion in January

lvxBgirl 12-17-2003 01:47 AM

We got a manual. It was the only one we could find in the area. I would have preferred the dark cherry, but they only had a manual in white so that's what we took. I never thought I'd own a white car, but it's really growing on me. :)

Docsnuff 12-20-2003 02:08 PM

I am leaning toward the Auto, because I want to get remote start, and I am interested in just cruising. Goin from my V8 Pony, I don't really need a 5 speed 4 banger, it won't perform like I want. Though I would like a five speed because there is a shift knob that I want, it is off da hizzy!!! Who knows, decisions, decisions...

Doc

fr130 12-26-2003 04:29 PM

Automatic for me too. Never driven a stick and neither do my folks. They use my ride during their yard sale runs and at Home Depot. I just want to Cruise around town, drive really slow with the bass thumping. SPRING BREAK 2004, South Beach!!!

Munch 12-27-2003 07:53 PM

Manual 8) .