Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Typical Questions from a dumb newbie - me

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default Typical Questions from a dumb newbie - me

I love my Flint '06 box. I finally have some spare cash (say $2,000?), and I need suggestions from you guys. Straight-up: I am NOT a DIY'er - and I'm very confused about which upgrades actually make a difference. I have a good local shop that will do everything for a reasonable price.

That being said, I've been gradually implementing mods (all non-performance) since November, but it's time for something big. I want the result to be a smoother, more stable ride. Engine performance would be a nice plus, but not a necessity. Here is my wish list, along with my dumb newbie questions:

1) tires/rims (what size for comfort AND mpg? do I need to mod anything else to accomodate 16 or 17" wheels?)

2) springs and/or shocks (which one? both? do I upgrade these before the wheels?)

3) sway bar (does it make a difference?)

4) forced induction (I see two kinds - cold air and short ram, but I'm clueless on this)

I've been searching and reading on all of these subjects, but there's just too much info for my feeble non-tech head. Any and all suggestions are much-appreciated in advance, and please forgive my lame grasp of the whole subject of performance mods!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well what do you want to do to the xB?

Wheel/tires are a popular choice while others will do springs/shocks. Everyone is different. Do you care about ride quality???

BTW - intakes are not forced induction..

I'll help but I would like to know what you would like to see/do before I really give any input.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say get springs (no shocks) and lower it and put on some rims and call it a day. Make it look nicer and in the meantime read up on everything you dont know about, like intakes for instanced and how forced induction refers to superchargers and turbos, etc...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

First off, get a rear sway bar. It's a really astonishing improvement, it's a 20 minute job and it really makes a difference.

As far as wheels, I'm happy with my stockies for now, the tires suck though, if you don't like the stock look, you can spruce them up a bit. People use chrome lugs and trim rings, I painted my wheel covers black.

Intakes still fall under naturally aspirated (F/I would be supercharged or turbo) I have a short ram, and I really like it, it's not going to turn your box into a monster or anything, but it does give a nice little bump.

I replaced my rear shocks with Monroes, they evened out the rougher ride on the stock shocks, no need to do struts, again, the shocks will run you between 50-60 bucks and are an easy install.

Basically, there's a wealth of knowledge on pretty much any topic you would want around here, do some research, look around, gather ideas.

And as far as being a non tech head... I have a background in tech stuff, ranging from computer to carpentry, but cars always freaked me out. However, I've had my box for four months now and I'm more or less comfortable doing pretty much anything with it now. Start slow, but you'll get the hang of it.

Also, be aware that modding is hopelessly addicting, once you start, you gotta keep going.

Okay, I'm rambling at this point. PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Actually if you are smart with that $2000 you probably could pull off all of those mods you listed. Rims and tires expect somewhere between $800-$1200 if you arent super picky.

Springs are another $200 or so

Intakes depending are $150 -$250

Rear Swaybar I am unsure but they shouldnt be over $200 or so. I am sure someone else here can enlighten you as to the price.

Depending on how well you do with the cash you probably can get yourself a couple more mods. maybe some chrome accents, headlights or taillights. dont forget that you can cheaply add to your car by painting various items, engine cover, *****, pillars, etc.

Oh yeah and just a shameless plug. I am selling my old rims which are in very good condition. Volk GT-P 17x7
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Typical Questions from a dumb newbie - me

Originally Posted by urbanhayseed
I love my Flint '06 box. I finally have some spare cash (say $2,000?), and I need suggestions from you guys. Straight-up: I am NOT a DIY'er - and I'm very confused about which upgrades actually make a difference. I have a good local shop that will do everything for a reasonable price.

That being said, I've been gradually implementing mods (all non-performance) since November, but it's time for something big. I want the result to be a smoother, more stable ride. Engine performance would be a nice plus, but not a necessity. Here is my wish list, along with my dumb newbie questions:

1) tires/rims (what size for comfort AND mpg? do I need to mod anything else to accomodate 16 or 17" wheels?)

2) springs and/or shocks (which one? both? do I upgrade these before the wheels?)

3) sway bar (does it make a difference?)

4) forced induction (I see two kinds - cold air and short ram, but I'm clueless on this)

I've been searching and reading on all of these subjects, but there's just too much info for my feeble non-tech head. Any and all suggestions are much-appreciated in advance, and please forgive my lame grasp of the whole subject of performance mods!
1) For comfort and MPG stay stock. Larger generally slightly decreases MPG and
comfort but improves looks.

2) I used 2" drop Goldline springs they improved the ride immensely. Lowereing also
IMO improves look and does improve handling a little. People say that changing
to Monroes sensatrak shocks helps the ride (maybe not needed with the right
springs, and if all you want is ride change then maybe they will do as much as the
right springs for that) (some springs ride harder than stock so choose wisely).

3) Sway bars make a big difference (well my Hotchkis set ...front and rear...did
anyway). My steering has much faster response and I now have little or no body
roll.

4) Intakes add horsepower and slightly (very slightly) decrease MPG. The
horsepower increase of most CAI is significant and greater than most short rams.
CAI generally has the filter mounted close to the ground so the danger of sucking
up water in flooding conditions becomes an issue. Good CAI are designed to
minimze this risk...but water in the intake will kill an engine...so some intelligent
care and operation are needed. I really like my K+N Tsunami CAI.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Letting the car breathe better decreases MPG? How does that one work? I always figured that stock systems were too retricted as it was. I gave my old jeep an open intake and noticed more HP and MPG. The header was even better.

The way I figure it, you give it an intake, give it a better flowing exhaust. The cars ability to breathe in better is nearly nill if it can't breathe out better. Exhaust systems will cost a pretty penny for the xB (depends on the sound and the system). I'm looking at a Borla that's normally sold around $800-ish.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Originally Posted by lil_blue_star
Letting the car breathe better decreases MPG? How does that one work?
More air in the cylinder requires more fuel to balance out the preferred air/fuel ratio, thus decreasing MPG.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by midgethearsexb
Originally Posted by lil_blue_star
Letting the car breathe better decreases MPG? How does that one work?
More air in the cylinder requires more fuel to balance out the preferred air/fuel ratio, thus decreasing MPG.
It actually improves efficiency thus raising mpgs. (less pedal to maintain a constant speed) BUT only if you can stay out of the throttle that is. It's a visious circle.

As far as that 2K burning a hole in your pocket you could do as follows.
1. lightweight wheels (15 inchers and some better rubber) 7-8 hundred (save steelies for winter time)
2. Monroe #5987s- 60-70 bucks
3 Progress rear bar- 150-160 shipped and 15 minute install
4. Strup Exhaust $255
5 lower it if ya must just stay conservative H-techs about 160 shipped 1 inch of drop
These mods will transform your box into something that drives much nicer and gets a few more mpgs.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
It actually improves efficiency thus raising mpgs. (less pedal to maintain a constant speed) BUT only if you can stay out of the throttle that is. It's a visious circle.
Yea, when you get your intake, you're going to want to gun it to hear your new engine noise, it's tempting to drive harder with the intake...