Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Default Re: Check Engine, VSC, Trac Off, fuel vapor

Originally Posted by LowerLevelMan
Mine, is a 2006 xB with 94,000 miles on it. The usual set of lights came on for me also. I pulled codes:
PO171 - system too lean
PO441 - Evap. EMCS Purge Flow
PO455 - Evap. Emission Control System Leak (large)

Fuel cap is tight. Everything seems to snuggly attached under the hood. OH, after I fill it up (one click full), the engine sputters, I have to FLOOR it to start. Then, afterwards, it starts/runs fine.
I don't think this is an MAF sensor prob.
Perhaps a hole somewhere? Perhaps something in the fuel tank (sputtering at full)?
Suggestions?
There is an emissions filtration and monitoring system underneath your car, it looks like a big black box underneath the rear end. I had a leak in a hose to that before and I pulled the same codes...I ran over a nail and by chance (probably odds greater than the lottery) it rammed straight through the sample hose...haha....

About the MAF, they are fairly easy to change as well as an 02 sensor. All these emmissions monitoring items add to the complexity of things that can go wrong...
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by aaroncharles1037
when the check engine light comes on for the 5k reminder to change oil the vsc and trac light do not come on. But...

So in any other situation all three will light up if its something else to do with other than the oil?

Just wondering cause every once in a while driving at 80 down the interstate all three lights will turn on and I can feel a drop in performance. To maintain my speed I have to push it to like 4200 rpm's when usually at 4000 the box will go 80.
All three lights don't come on unless there is actually a problem. The check engine light should come up by itself for routine engine maint. or gas cap tightness.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM

okay so i figured out what was causing my VSC TRAC CONTROL lights to come on... My bottom engine/tranny mount broke on my way into work yesterday. Horrible 4/20 day...

anywho there is a ground wire attached to the bottom engine mount and I think that as the bolts loosened up and made poor contact between engine and chassis causing weird electrical contact...

I had to drill out and retap the three holes for the bottom engine mount and now that everything is nice and tight again no more VSC TRAC CONTROL lights.

Unfortunately one of the bolts sheered off in the engine case housing and it would not come out. It was sheered off halfway in so I was able to get a shorter bolt in. Hopefully this will last.