Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   xB Longevity (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/xb-longevity-224033/)

kghharrington 07-16-2013 12:52 AM

xB Longevity

Hello. I am new to the site and am curious as to how long a 2006 xB can last. it has 154,000 miles which are from everyday commuting. We have been really gentle on the car and there has been almost nothing wrong with it. Can I expect it to pull out 300,000 miles?????

ajcadoo 07-16-2013 07:10 AM

200,000+ should be fairly easy. 300 is doubtful. You are bound to have a repair worth more than the car.

FreedomPenguin 07-16-2013 07:54 AM

He may be wrong ^ Subaru's do it all the time. All they have done is timing belt and such on the engines and they last forever. Just take care of them.

BlingSlade 07-16-2013 08:56 AM

It's a great car and with proper maintenance it might get you all the way to 300K with few problems.

However, I think at the ten year point I'd find a replacement for the xB1 and either sell it or drop it down to a second hand car.

My 2006 xB1 has only 38K but even with such low miles I don't know if I'll keep it as my primary car once the ten year mark hits.

kewlbox 07-20-2013 04:24 AM

Mines has 220,000 on it right now and i drive it hard. Only problem i have so is i'm about to replace my front passenger wheel bearing for the second time. 300,000 should be no problem and 400,000 is not out of the question.

Norskswede 06-26-2022 06:40 PM

290K+ miles on 2005 XB

Hubby purchased his '05 XB new and we immediately set off for a cross country trip in it. In fact, we made a temporary move from MI to CA for almost a year and the XB EASILY carried all the stuff we needed.

It's now 18 years later and we still have our '05 XB; it remains hubby's daily driver and now has over 290,000 miles on it and is still going strong. To be fair, we have been RELIGIOUS about basic maintenance the entire time we've owned this car--the oil gets changed every 5K miles. We've made several cross country and long distance trips and have never, not once, had a problem.

Last weekend, for the first time we got stranded when the car wouldn't start after we stopped at a roadside farm market--it wound up being the starter, not exactly a shocker after nearly 300K miles🙂. Other than that, our XB has required remarkably few repairs and has been an AMAZING vehicle. Our only regret is that we didn't buy two of them.

18 years in we do have some rusted front quarter panels (around the fenders) and I just spotted some rust forming between the top of the windshield and the roofline--we're in MI. I think hubby adds some oil from time to time and the exhaust has an odor to it that we have elected not to spend the money repairing at this point in the car's life cycle

While we've heard some outliers reporting getting 450K miles on the pre-'06 XB's, we've started looking at replacememt vehicles. I gotta tell ya, there is virtually NOTHING out there that comes close to the reliability, longevity. affordability and utility of the XB in our post-pandemic 2022 world. I actually think this car has many more miles on her so we'll see how far we're willing to.push her.