XM 1Yr. Free Service & Activation wTuner purchase $289

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM 1Yr. Free Service & Activation wTuner purchase $289

"Special Limited Time Offer" - Buy a Toyota XM tuner for $289.00 from Sparks Scion and receive Free Activation and 1 Year Free XM service with the purchase.

Mention scionlife in the 'special instructions' section and get an extra $10.00 off.

This is a limited time offer and will expire when supplies run out.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...3&parts_id=328

Ken
www.trdsparks.com :D
Old 03-13-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a good deal. How difficult to install this?
Old 03-13-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thats a really good deal.
you're saving $120 right there just for the service.
anyone lookin for xm for the factory radio jump on this

and oh yeah, BUMP

Jim
Old 03-13-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So... Has anyone done an XM radio install with this kit?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, I just installed one. It came complete with adhesives, cable ties, bolts, brackets, antenna, tuner, harness, and grounding wire. I ran the antenna from the right rear corner under the hatch door seal, along the headliner, down the rear passenger door seal, under the door sill, and under the passenger seat where I mounted the tuner. It costs the same as trying to get the 910XM with adapter and antenna, and you still can't see the text, but you'd treat it like a cd changer. I can post pics if interested.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by saintjohnson
Yeah, I just installed one. It came complete with adhesives, cable ties, bolts, brackets, antenna, tuner, harness, and grounding wire. I ran the antenna from the right rear corner under the hatch door seal, along the headliner, down the rear passenger door seal, under the door sill, and under the passenger seat where I mounted the tuner. It costs the same as trying to get the 910XM with adapter and antenna, and you still can't see the text, but you'd treat it like a cd changer. I can post pics if interested.
So the stock head unit does not show the text when using the scion XM radio? Any pics would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member

NO, the factory scion xm kit shows the text...it gets cut off b/c you only get 10-12 characters though. I was looking at using the Toy/PIO03 Adapter on the OEM HU with the Pioneer 910XM aftermarket tuner and learned that it wouldn't show text (artist, channel, song) info at all but just the channel. I'll take pics tomorrow...later on today.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member

Here is where I placed the xm antenna. The kit includes a cut out so its spaced correctly.

I ran the cable under the hatch seal. If you use the antenna included in the kit, you may have to seal around it b/c its wire/cable is thicker. I used an aftermarket TERK antenna that has thinner wires. I would've used the kit ant. w/ the gasket around the cable, but I didn't see any plugged holes in the chassis to run and plug with the kit cable.

I then proceeeded to run the cable along the headliner edge and down the door seal.

I then ran the antenna wire along the door sill and under the front passenger seat to the tuner. If you have big arms, you may have to remove the seat or use a wire hanger to run the cables.

From left to right, you'll see the grounding cable, the tuner/HU harness, and the xm antenna.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member

This is what you'll see when you press the AM/SAT button twice. This was channel 67.

There are no directions included, so you'll need some rough knowledge of radio installs to sail through, but I did it at night in 1.5 hours. When my neighbor came out to hand me a flashlight, she almost got shot.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Many thanks for the excellent pics and for your time. I'm sure you helped out a few of us who are wanting information on this kit.
Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member

Hey Sparks Scion TRD Parts,
Since I DID explain the install and post pics, but I didn't order the part from you all. How about a xm subscription gift card for my troubles??? I promise to order any future scion parts from you.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Free Card?

Too bad it's not that easy. I have to pry them out of the Parts Managers hands. Sorry. Oh, the install instructions are on our site now for those that are still thinking about it.

Ken
www.trdsparks.com
Old 03-14-2005, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member

Well, I guess its the thought that counts.
Here is the linky for the directions... http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT546-52040xBinst.pdf This was too much to do, but I would've paid $50 for Toyota to do it.

Is there any swag at all I can get for my troubles because there was no info on here about the antenna placement. I risked my life and right arm...it was this arm that went in between carpet and car to run the antenna.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default reminder

That's too funny, but it probably wasn't at the time. Remind my of your heroic exploits on our behalf when you place an order and I'll see what I can do. No promises.

Ken
Old 03-14-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my first post.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy an xb, and I want XM. I'm wondering how easy this installation is. I take it the user that posted previously didn't follow the directions (remove 2 seats and half the backend of the car? wtf?). I have an extra antenna from the purchase of a MyFi and it has a really skinny wire and is magnetized. Looks like all one has to do mount the XM unit, thread the antenna wire and tuning cable, and attach ground.

Does anyone think the front passenger seat needs to be removed for this? saintjohnson, how do you have the XM thing mounted under the seat?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Install?

Here's the link to our site and the install instructions are in the upper right hand corner of the page. You might want to take a good look at that.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...3&parts_id=328

Ken
www.trdsparks.com
Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I saw that. It looked like a lot of work to route wires. Dealing with the front seat shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member

Well, it was 11pm Thursday night when I installed it, but I removed the door sills on the right side and the plastic interior cover over the front passenger seat belt. This gave me enough slack to get under the carpet under the seat while the seat was still bolted. There are some plastic clips that the carpet loops over. I didn't notice it until I was done, but there is a plastic cover/bolt on the floor board where your right foot would touch while sitting in the passenger seat that you will need to remove.
I also marked the carpet and cut holes to slide the mounting brackets under the carpet and through the carpet. There's some foam down there too, so don't be surprised by the 1.5 inch bolt on the bracket. But like I said, if you don't have small, long arms(i.e., I'm 6'4", 160lbs), you'll need a wire hanger to pull all three cables...ground wire, antenna, and harness. Pluss you'll need to be creative to slide the brackets under the carpet, or you could velcro it to the floor. I thought about it, but my kids might spill something, so that inch under the tuner is for my kids' safety .
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the xm tuner from trdsparks, and was thinking of somewhere else to put the tuner. Any ideas?
Also, I was going to put the antenna in the headliner, by using double sided tape to paste it upside down on the metal of the roof. Does anyone know if this would diminish the reception?
I don't like the idea of having the antenna outside of the car with all the little punks running around.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

I've heard that this location for the ant would work, but i know that these antennas need a line of sight for the signal. Unless you're in LA, NYC, or ATL, you'll have problems with it inside the car.

Quick Reply: XM 1Yr. Free Service & Activation wTuner purchase $289