Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Clear plastic for paint protection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM

Default Clear plastic for paint protection?

Hi, Just bought a 2013 SCION XB (picking up tomorrow) and was wondering if anyone has appled clear plastic paint protection? That big flat front end is bound to get some major rock chips. Was originally going to get a front end bra, but dont want to keep taking something on and off vehicle for long trips. ALso sometimes they rub paint off if not on just right. Also, wondering if anyone knows a difference between 2012 and 2013 front ends. Ebay sells a kit that is pre cut to cover 2012 front ends and Im hoping will fit 2013. Also anyone know if paint needs to cure more before applying? They say not to wax right away but not sure about this. Lots of questions, hoping someone can help. Thanks Bill
Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 AM

Lots of views but no comments. Has no one done plastic paint cover? Also does anyone know of any differences in 2012 and 2013 front ends? Please someone respond.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The front ends are the same the only change they made was they added DRLs to the 2013 models. You can use a kit for a 2012. I would be careful with the precut kits because if you mess them up you don't have any wiggle room. Personally I would just buy a big sheet of clear vinyl and cut it yourself. As far as paint curing I don't think that matters. It's only like 48 hours to fully cure if the car just came off the truck. You should be ok.

P.S there is a whole thread about the release of the 2013 and in the first three or four pages it lists the minor difference between them if you just search it came right up.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

You could get the front clear bra'd. Probably the best option as far as rock chip protection.

I just bossed it and got my hood repainted after 5 years. *shrugs*
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what he's asking about but he wants to do it himself. I tried the precut kit on a friends Mazda and it was a PITA. We ended up taking the kit to my hookup at the vinyl signs shop and they installed it for 20 bucks perfectly. I would not do it again lol ill pay someone or have my car repainted down the road.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB is still built in japan. Takes the ship over a week to get here.

The paint will be more than cured by the time it gets to the dealer. Just do yourself a favor and wash/clay bar/wax it wen you get it. You wont believe how much "fallout" ends up on the surface just from sitting in the ship.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetas
The xB is still built in japan. Takes the ship over a week to get here.

The paint will be more than cured by the time it gets to the dealer. Just do yourself a favor and wash/clay bar/wax it wen you get it. You wont believe how much "fallout" ends up on the surface just from sitting in the ship.
This. Could also decontaminate with a product like CarPro's Iron-X.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a piece of clear plastic to cover the first 6"of hood. May try to tackle more if this goes well. I also found a bra called magnet bra at magnetbra.com. Has anyone tried one of these? On website , they claim most paint chips are on hood because metal doesnt flex like plastic. Might try this if plastic is a fail.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member

All i have to say about clear bra is keep it clean and don't let bugs sit for long. I remove clear bra on all the used cars daily because of bug guts just eating at it. it works great just do yourself a favor and have a microfiber and detail spray in the car to keep it new!
Old 12-22-2020, 05:09 PM
SL Member

Just wanted to let all of you know that Magnet bra is still making the best protection for your hood. 20 years and going strong. Check out the magnet bra pictures on this forum or our website magnetbra.com Let us know how we can help. Thanks