Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Just removed the rear 'xB' badge from my 2008!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just removed the rear 'xB' badge from my 2008!

First, I want to say thanks to the respondents to my earlier thread requesting advice. I never had the opportunity before it was locked.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171182

My 'xB' badge had been attached since April 2007, and so I wasn't sure what to expect. I checked the badge removal PDF from Toyota and they taped around the badge and used an IR heat gun to heat the badge and door surface. Not having an IR gun, I chose to combine methods. Ambient temperature was around 74F, the sun was not on the badge.

To start with, I washed (soapy water) the entire area and removed as much dirt&grit as I could from around and within the 'xB'. Rinsed, dried (towel), and then with masking tape, I taped around the badge and then, using several layers of newspaper, also masked off the adjacent bumper, quarter panel, and taillight assembly. I then applied a 1500W hair dryer at high setting about 12" away from the badge for a couple minutes two or three times -- the area became very hot to the touch (but still touchable).

I then used a plastic pry tool (spatula would work) to carefully push through the upper and side adhesive tape at both the 'B' and then the 'x' (didn't want to break the segment joining them). Then, I carefully tilted both down, and used the pry tool to seperate the remaining tape.

After that, I removed the masking tape around the badge (not the newspaper on bumper, quarter panel, and light assembly) and gently removed as much of the tape and residue as I could with a finger nail (gets the worst off). That still left plenty, and so then I used Goo-Gone applied to a shop towel and rubbed over the residue. Took several applications and further finger work, but that got almost all the badge debris off (a little adhesive residue remaining, plus some stubborn dirt).

Then I liberally applied Turtle Wax Bug&Tar Remover to the general area with a shop towel using three applications to remove all remaining traces. Finally, removed the newspaper, washed with soapy water, rinsed, and then waxed said general area. I now see no trace of the original xB badge.

Once again, thanks to the folks in the above link who responded to me .

Last edited by TrevorS; 09-19-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
SL Member

I pulled that thread up because I used the search button. I especially liked the link the one member posted that led you to another thread that showed you how to remove an emblem off of a 1st gen and then locked the thread. As some of us know 2nd gen has HOLES under it's emblem.
I'm curious if anyone has removed their "Scion" emblem off of their 2nd gen and figured a clever way to plug the holes. Not really looking to use bondo, sand, primer and then match 3yr old paint. Any ideas?