Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Removing the stock rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Removing the stock rear spoiler?

Hello All,

I did a search but did not find anything. We just came into an '08 XB2 and I really want to remove the rear spoiler that it came with from new. I see the instructions on how to install but was wondering if anyone else has done this? I thought I would just find some plugs to fill the holes and maybe just get these painted. I could always just leave the spoiler if this becomes too much of a pain. I wanted to see if others had done this and had a good solution for the holes.

If anyone is in the San Jose area, I am also open to letting them have the wing in return for having mine removed and some plugs installed at a local shop or something....just a thought.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd need two each 8mm and 10mm plugs to fill the mounting holes on a slightly curved plane; that's if the original installer didn't wallow the holes out of round to achieve fit. The spoiler's integral threaded bolts have ~3/16"-additional diameter rubber washers and you apply silicone to seal such installation "imprecision". If the holes are wallowed you'd have to carefully redrill them larger and find fitting plugs.

Maybe you could find out via the VIN if spoiler was factory installed, which I'd hope to be very clean. I know because I installed mine...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by GDubya
You'd need two each 8mm and 10mm plugs to fill the mounting holes on a slightly curved plane; that's if the original installer didn't wallow the holes out of round to achieve fit. The spoiler's integral threaded bolts have ~3/16"-additional diameter rubber washers and you apply silicone to seal such installation "imprecision". If the holes are wallowed you'd have to carefully redrill them larger and find fitting plugs.

Maybe you could find out via the VIN if spoiler was factory installed, which I'd hope to be very clean. I know because I installed mine...
Thanks for the feedback. The spoiler was installed factory. I actually went and checked out all the bolts and can remove them easily. I just have to decide if I like the look of plugs better than the spoiler. Again, appreciate the feedback on size of the holes. This gives me a good idea of what to expect...
Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 AM

what are you going to do with the spoiler. Is it available to buy?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also use an oem colormatched can of spraypaint to paint the plugs before installing them for a "ninja" look.