Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

09 Vent Hose Replacement sourcing and low idle..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:08 PM
SL Member

Default 09 Vent Hose Replacement sourcing and low idle..

My 09 is beloved but sadly hasn't seen great maintenance between some dirt poor over worked years of single parenting. I need to get another year out of it if I can!
Mechanic said he was concerned about head gasket but I didn't have any smoke, loss of power, etc. Instead I changed the valve cover gasket and spark plugs. Big change and obviously overdue, kind of ____ed no mechanic had yet suggested it.
Later the camshaft position sensor I ordered as a "might as well" showed up, so I put that in (a beast to access even w my small hands) and naturally cracked the vent tube above trying to put it back on the block. It was brittle and due to be swapped but turns out they are hard to find,
save about $30+ shipped from random Scion dealers with decent web prowess (none local, ours don't do online parts). I've called around but while I'm waiting I thought I'd ask. There's got to be some cheaper and/or better alternative- it's an insulated elbow so I'm guessing I can't just use any hose.
I found it as Toyota Part Number 1226128180

With the small crack the car idled to a stall, I patched it with some silicone and its decent for a temp repair but idle seems low at about 400rpms,power when driving is fine. So question now, do I need that specific hose
or what's the best option and will that fix the low idle ? Anything else I should change out or fix to get another year out of her? Low budget is key, just don't have any wiggle room on the money front.

Hose w the clamp off at the bottom of the pic. And yes, I know its filthy.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-02-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Confusing typo
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are there any junkyards near you? If so you can get one of any of the 2nd gen xBs. As for the low idle, did you disconnect the battery when doing the plugs or camshaft sensor? The ECU has to re-learn it's programming if you did.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:32 PM
SL Member

Thanks, Greg- no decent pull yard around but the idle seems back to norm after running a bit so thanks for that tip.