Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2008 Transmission fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM

Default 2008 Transmission fluid leak

Hello all,

New to the forums, see here.

I've only had the car for a few months but I noticed that the transmission fluid seems to be leaking, although I'm not sure from where. This transmission came to me with 250,000 miles on it and I have no idea when it last had a fluid change but it was a company car, so I hope they took regular care of it. Anyway, I was planning to do a quick drain and refill and was thinking of replacing the filter as well, in case that is leaking.

I got a WIX filter from my local store that has a rubber gasket. Should I use this or would you recommend I go to the dealer and get an OEM filter with the cork gasket?

Also, any other common leak areas I should check? I'll admit I haven't laid underneath yet to try and find the leak but I did replace the whole engine back in November so it's possible something happened then?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't find a leak from a seal under the car, take a look at the coolant (these do have an oil to coolant heat exchanger don't they???)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM

So I found the leak. It is come from the where the CV axle shaft enters the transmission. Never replaced one before so gonna weigh the cost of a mechanic versus the frustration of doing it myself.

Name:  IMG_3799.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  166.3 KB
Old 04-30-2017, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While stumbling around on rockauto, I found the seals and right above it a shaft repair sleeve. Interesting. Quite often the shaft itself gets grooved and that is what causes the leak... but a new seal and shaft sleeve could be a cheap solution.
Note the seals have a windback feature, so they are handed. Be sure to order the correct one
2009 SCION XB 2.4L L4 Output Shaft Seal | RockAuto
You will need to find out how to remove the axles though - let google be your friend there