Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2011 Xb CEL & Traction Light... No Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry 2011 Xb CEL & Traction Light... No Power

So my 2011 Xb has died on me I was driving through a parking lot a my local mall I say I must have been doing about 5-10 mph when I noticed my CEL & traction light came on... I then hit the gas pedal and nothing . I called my local Toyota stealership and with my luck they are closed... I called Toyota roadside service and they could not find my 100,000 mile extended warranty I purchased nor could they even find my standard warranty they told me I could call a towing company and have them tow it but I would have to pay for the tow and then I could apply for reimbursement which I told them was crazy I paid 1700 dollars for the extended warranty that they can't find. So I call the towing company they tell me okay we can tow it 55 dollars okay... but they say the stealership is closed we will have to leave it outside of the dealership on the road and we are not responisable for any damages once we drop the car off... well SH%T end of the story... has anyone else had this problem with a 2011 and... the car does start it idles kinda high, gas pedal does nothing.. transmission does engage.. glided it home 15 mph all the way. Sorry for the rant.. just had to tell someone
Old 12-25-2010, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pull the negative cable from the battery for about 15-20 minutes and tehn reconnect it. This should clear the ECU and hopefully reset the system. I suspect that since it's an '11 that the paperwork probably hasn't been filed yet which is why roadside service can't find the paperwork. Still take it to the dealer even if clearing the ECU fixes it so that there is a record of it. Also have them check on why roadside service doesn't have you on file so that if you need it in the future it is there.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Total yuck, dude ! (Greg's advice is spot on.)
Old 12-26-2010, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So much for ToyotaCare?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 PM

That is CRAZY!!!! I have a 2011, and haven't had any problem?! What did you find out?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Pull the negative cable from the battery for about 15-20 minutes and tehn reconnect it. This should clear the ECU and hopefully reset the system. I suspect that since it's an '11 that the paperwork probably hasn't been filed yet which is why roadside service can't find the paperwork. Still take it to the dealer even if clearing the ECU fixes it so that there is a record of it. Also have them check on why roadside service doesn't have you on file so that if you need it in the future it is there.
Well I did not just want to clear the code although I am without a vehicle I mean it had to have a reason that it threw the codes so I rather the Dealership check it out and have them correctly fix the problem and I am definitely going to check on the extended warranty and the Toyota care.

Originally Posted by jnaval
So much for ToyotaCare?
Tell me about it I was furious. Sucks I went into the dealship yesterday 12/27/2010. They were trying to give me the run around about calling Toyota care and calling the 1st one extended warranty. I told them I even called the scion experience number that said it was 365 24/7 and even they had a recording that they were closed which makes absolutely no sense... they could not explain it to me neither. They finally tried calling them selfs and even the manager could not find my warranty... they sent a tow truck at THEIR expense to pick up my Xb

Originally Posted by jntjohnson
That is CRAZY!!!! I have a 2011, and haven't had any problem?! What did you find out?
Well my Xb has been at the dealership since yesterday 12/27/2010 they told me that they were going to hook up the computer to it and see what codes it threw and try to find out what was wrong... and they said if they could not get it running by tomorrow they were going to have enterprise go by my house and drop me off a rental car... As soon as I hear something I will let you guys know
Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well at least your dealer is stepping up and taking care of things. Hope it all gets sorted out.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The infamous coil pack issue?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

My car is doing the same exact thing right now!

Please let us know what the problem is so maybe I can fix my car on my own rather then taking it to the dealership.

If you want to give this a label your car is stuck in Fail Safe Mode/Field Service Mode/Limp Home Mode.

Those are the most commonly used names for what your car is doing. Most likely a sensor went bad and its nothing to worry about.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay... so the dealership called me this morning and they said they found out what happened... they were blaming it on me because of my power cable for the amp they said that I damaged the connector on the throttle body but I didn't I was no were near it so at 1st they told me they may not be able to cover it because of that but I went over to the dealership and talked to the service manager I asked him to show me how it was my fault... and he could not show me how it was my fault and said they would cover it under warranty so it should be ready to be picked up tomorrow afternoon... I really don't think that is what it is though we'll see. He tried repeating the problem by moving the connector around which did nothing... so i'm not too convinced.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

well thats a bummer. I was hoping they would give you some insight on to what my problem could be lol. None the less Im glad it was resolved and happy youre getting your car back.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pasquale
well thats a bummer. I was hoping they would give you some insight on to what my problem could be lol. None the less Im glad it was resolved and happy youre getting your car back.
Have you tried going to Autozone and getting the codes read? May provide some useful clues.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I scanned it with my own scanner. All it told me was that TPS sensor wasnt working correctly so I changed it after trying to trying to clear it which didnt work lol. I'll figure it out
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay guys... well I got my Xb back they told me they replaced the pedal position sensor connector apparently it had burn out or something happen to it where it was not grounding correctly... so far so good no problems yet I will keep you guys informed if this solved the problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far so good no more problems now that that connector was replaced.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down

It's back again... I was in line at a drive-thru last night and the check engine light and the traction light came on my gas pedal was dead... I turned the car off and back on the lights stayed on but the pedal started working. This morning the lights were gone and the car was working fine... I dropped it off at the dealer this morning at 08:00... no word yet. I can't believe this...
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bummer ! Sounds like they may have corrected the symptom last time, but not the cause of the problem. I hope they find a more lasting solution.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so I got my car back... and apparently there was just some plug on the throttle body that had become unplugged when I ran my amp power cable... They also replaced my A/C blower it was making a funny noise. It's working fine again hopefully that was the last of my problems with this.