Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Battery Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Battery Mounts?

Almost couldn't control my box today making a turn.....was heading into work and was making right onto ventura blvd from balboa (I live in SFV so pardon me), and as I was turning, all these sparks came from the left side of my hood and I lost power to the car temporarily (power steering went out for a couple seconds). As i kept driving down ventura to work my car kept going off and on. finally I pulled over, popped my hood and my yellow top battery is slightly moving. I try re positioning it and it kept sparking up. Found out what the problem was.

The guy who installed my battery tried using the OEM mounting bar (which of course wont fit because its a bigger battery, so he wedge a piece of wood in there to hold it.) Well. Back to when I was trying to reposition the battery, it sparked even more. Come to find out, it was the metal bar touching the positive cable line. It got to the point where it was so damn from sparking that the bolt holding it from the other side snapped off. So now I got to figure out how to mount my battery without it moving. I was able to get to work which was only a couple blocks down from where I pulled over at...the battery doesnt move that much but I don't trust it and need a way to make sure its extremely secure, in case i go over bumps or etc.

Anyone have any ideas? See pics.
Attached Thumbnails Battery Mounts?-photo1.jpg   Battery Mounts?-photo3-1-.jpg   Battery Mounts?-photo4-1-.jpg  

Last edited by LoGis71K; 06-24-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A switch over to a universal j-bolt set-up would probably work.

Here's an example;

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0363&ppt=C0005

You can get them at most any auto parts store.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the response Greg.

Please excuse me for asking a dumb question but will this mount to where the OEM bar was at? cause now I have to figure out to get the broken bolt out, that you see in the pictures. I didnt have much time to fully check it out since I was rushing to get to work. Hopefully what you shared will work perfectly fine.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No this mounts to the tray below the battery. You might need to modify the stock battery tray to make it work.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member

Greg -

Yesterday I was about to buy that mount you showed in your response at orielly's but was looking at my battery and only thought i had to mount it to where the old one was at. during the time I was checking that out, I did notice that the tray you are mentioning right now is moving around...like it's not seated right. I'm taking it that's the tray you are referring to? Ill check again later as I'm at work right now. In the mean time I just got a heavy duty ziptie and ziptied it to the frame by the headlights.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Mine fit in and worked with the OEM mounting bar. ( Never mine just realized you have a different model Yellow Top in your xB )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk