Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cold Air Intake xB2 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM

Default Cold Air Intake xB2 2013

Any one throw a cold air intake on their 2013 xB? Just curious because the previous TRD intake used the fake vent on the right and actually made it a real vent. The 2013 models house LED's where the fake vents used to reside. Let me know. I'm looking at getting one!

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 AM

Does this one look legit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Scion-X...ec86cd&vxp=mtr
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by anderoo16
I know it's a little off topic but if you are looking for a lightly used AFE TAKEDA CAI I have one I could sell to you for $130 all you need to do is buy the filter.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been running a K&N Typhoon SRI for over a year on my 2012.

Name:  KNTyphoon-1.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  80.9 KB

Not shown is the Tsudo 4-2-1 header, high-flow cat, resonator and dual Fireballs that exhausts my little Milton. With the header (hybrid-ceramic) NitroPlated, I haven't recorded excessive intake air temps.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by GDubya
I've been running a K&N Typhoon SRI for over a year on my 2012.

Not shown is the Tsudo 4-2-1 header, high-flow cat, resonator and dual Fireballs that exhausts my little Milton. With the header (hybrid-ceramic) NitroPlated, I haven't recorded excessive intake air temps.
Hello are you happy with K&N intake? Did you see a noticeable change from the stock one? I am trying to select one. Thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use the ebay k2-motor CIA and it works perfectly for only $63. No need to spend a butt-load of money on something like K&N, AFE or AEM. Plus if you want a short-ram intake, simply take off the extension and put the filter on the first tube on the intake.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MambaxB
Hello are you happy with K&N intake? Did you see a noticeable change from the stock one? I am trying to select one. Thanks
Yes, with the SRI alone you'll hear, feel and see quite a difference in acceleration.

With the header and high flow exhaust in a manual tranny you can do burnouts and show up some 6-cyls
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member

Plus if you want a short-ram intake, simply take off the extension and put the filter on the first tube on the intake.[/QUOTE]
Do you mean before the stock airbox, or with the stock airbox removed? This seems like the first thing to try before spending $300. on the TRD CAI.
Thanks,
~pigwing~

Old 12-15-2013, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The K2 Motor kit comes with 2 pipes. One connects to the flex tubing near the throttle body (the MAF sensor attaches to this pipe) and the other one connects to the first pipe so the filter can be mounted behind the bumper. All you need to do for a short ram intake is to NOT use the second pipe, just mount the filter on the end of the first pipe. If we ever had super-heavy rain here in Portland, Oregon I would be switching to a short ram intake for the rainy seasons.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the quick reply autobotguy, and I have a couple more questions. Why did you choose that one over the TRD? Cost? Was it recomended? There are a lot of choices out there. So much is said about K&N. I have been told that some aftermarket CAI trip check engine lights, or cause 'bad' info (note use of Tech. terminology) to be sent to the computer, but the TRD unit is 'recognized' (more tech talk), sends no bad info, & does not void factory warranty. The MAF & all the other plugs, wires, hoses, et al. hook right up.
I have delt with "Fits origional perfectly. (Some welding required)" items in the past and believe just changing it over and having it function properly is enough of a craft project. At least if I'm cashing out a lot of coin. I am a new to the xB, and do not want to screw it up,(been there, done that, trashed the T-Shirt) and if I have to spend a few more bucks to do it right, so be it.
I have seen 2 different TRD CAI available, one goes down to the front bumper vent, as you mentioned, but the 2end one, $90.00 more at Sparks, picks up air somewhere in the left fender. I believe that one is for '11's & '12's, but not sure. Mine is an '09, so not even sure if it would fit.
I believe there is information regarding removal of the stock 'snorkel', and modifying the existing factory airbox. I thought that was what you refered to in your post. Seemed like a cheap, quick mod
Anyway, we are not lacking for cold air around here right now, so I feel safe to wait for a thaw before proceeding on this.
BTW, does snow clog the TRD bumper intake?
Thanks
~pigwing~
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I chose the k2 motor intake because there is a thread on a couple of scion/XB forums and people find that this intake works just as good as any other out there at one hell of a price. No reason to spend $300 when $60 does the exact same thing and looks good at the same time. I've had no issues with the kit as the MAF sensor plugs in perfectly and throws no codes. The k2 motors CAI kit looks like it will fit all 2nd gen XBs. All the vacuum lines plug into the kit like stock. If your truly worried about warranty, then by all means get the TRD kit and have it installed by the dealership.

Even though you CAN mod the stock air box and remove the snorkel, I'm in a frame of mind that I should keep that intact and just use a CAI intake instead. Why ruin it, you may just need it someday for some reason. I just put it inside a large sealed bag and out in the shed.

As for snow clogging any CAI filter, I don't see how it will unless you remove the little bumper grill inserts. There is really no way for snow to get in that area unless it is scooped in sideways through the main lower grill. If your really worried about it, just take off the extension pipe I mentioned in an earlier post and run it as a short ram intake.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks, yet more food for thought. Like the idea of keeping the OE parts intact, in a bag in the shed, 'just in case'. Did not think of that.
Gonna head off to e-Bay
~pigwing~
Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If using that ebay cai make sure and use a better filter.
You can buy a k&n filter at autozone or ebay.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the info, but I must admit I am not sure the k2 unit is the way to go, at least for me. Even more so now considering the last post. Seems problematic to have a device which requires replacement parts before it is even installed. (IMO)
I am still seriously considering the TRD. Anyone know if the TRD CAI is equipted with a by-pass valve or another method to keep the engine from hydrolocking? Or if a by-pass valve can be installed in one? Have you installed one in your k2 CAI? I assume the air inlet is in the same spot in the bumper.
~pigwing~

Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you worried about water ingestion get the k&n sri.
Comes with a heat shield and cant ingest water.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:46 PM
SL Member

i did, have the AEM on my xb. just traded it in so i do have it for sale. just needs one of the connectors