Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ebay: a review.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
OK, header installed, car off the jack stands, and paint curing in progress! Everything seems fine so far and I'm looking forward to actually driving it in a little while !

========================LATER=========================

Runs great, I like it ! Thanks again Roller_Toaster and ScionFred .
Nice job on the paint, dipstick relocation and keeping the spring bolts! I take it that the lower header flange wasn't threaded for the oem spring/shoulder bolts and that's why you needed nuts. Great idea to keep the spring bolts. I wouldn't want that moveable connection to be solid.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Nice job on the paint, dipstick relocation and keeping the spring bolts! I take it that the lower header flange wasn't threaded for the oem spring/shoulder bolts and that's why you needed nuts. Great idea to keep the spring bolts. I wouldn't want that moveable connection to be solid.
Thanks !

I was hoping the lower flange holes would be a little undersized so I could tap them, but they're a fit for the OE bolts. It's a bit tricky installing them since the spring has to compress some before the 10mm thread emerges from the flange, but by torquing sideways a little on the ratchet, I was able to "screw" the bolts against the hole edges far enough to engage the nuts, when both were engaged, I just tightened the rest of the way with a crescent wrench holding the nut. I would've preferred to have split ring washers under the nuts, but there just isn't enough 10mm thread to accommodate them. Installation was a bit of a hassle, but I think it's worth it.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got a tower strut bar I'm installing today off ebay for $30 shipped. I myself am a bit skeptical but then again like a lot of these parts. it might surprise me. Somthing you might conceder for your ebay powered ride.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
people dont realize its not ebay itself selling the stuff...its company"s on ebay that your buying from
Yeah, that has always been a pet peeve of mine. Ebay does not make any products, so there is not an ebay anything. It is individuals/small companies selling items on there like a classifieds section. I guess we could also talk about our "craigslist so and so" as well

Without specifying which company on ebay you bought it from, then it means nothing. Some are rip off artists, some sell crap, some are legitimate, good sellers.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, you have a point, however some of these products are only sold off ebay. or are at least easily found there usually for the best price. I would usually consider something an ebay product when you can find the same generic product being sold by several sellers even though ebay had nothing to do with the production of the product.
for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...item2a10a72b13

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-10...item19c55601b4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-10...item4aaab48d13
Old 05-26-2011, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Plenty of things are only sold on classifieds or amazon as well. Does not make them a "classifieds" part. My point is that people say " how good is an eBay so and so?" pointless question since no one knows which one they mean since a million different sellers may sell a similar product on there. It makes no sense. Could be from a highly reputable seller, could be junk, both are on eBay so is that "eBay" part good or bad? See what I mean? I bought a "luther Toyota" scion. Is that different from a "Lupient Toyota" scion ?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand your point dude, but at the same time, I think you're coming down a little hard. I think people generally realize eBay is a source (as in connection), not a supplier. I believe this thread was founded on the idea that eBay could actually be a reasonable source for performance upgrades, whereas the common viewpoint is that it isn't. I think that if justified, that's a barrier worth breaking. On the basis of my personal experience (triggered in part by this thread) and the experience of the OP, the concept is good. However, as always, care is appropriate when purchasing from an eBay seller.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not sure how anyone would think I am "coming down" harsh on anything. If so, I would hate for them to actually hear or see me come down harsh on something:p

My point is very relevant to this topic. People say "eBay" parts suck. There is no such thing as an eBay part, thus that comment holds no water. Some may be great, some may suck. If people would use the correct terminology then that whole debate would go away. Plus, when I see "eBay part" I have no idea which of the millions of those parts the person is talking about, so there is no way to say run away or yes, that is a decent part.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

watching
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For what?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

lol so i can do similar things. ill be getting my 2nd gen on saturday.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick update on all my parts.

(Drum roll........)

They all still work great! Nothing turned to dust, exploded, or rusted off.

I will give another update in a few months for those interested!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cgreer20
I just got a tower strut bar I'm installing today off ebay for $30 shipped. I myself am a bit skeptical but then again like a lot of these parts. it might surprise me. Somthing you might conceder for your ebay powered ride.

Beat me to the punch

Mine will be arriving tomorrow, where I will do a series of tests to see if the strut towers flex at all, and what the tower bar will do to reduce it!

Might even post up a few go-pro videos of testing for flex .
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They must have just sold a bunch of these. Mine just came in today. Can't wait to install, but regardless, $30 is an easy gamble.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is yours covered in a CF sticker? I tried to find bare metal, but apparently they sold all of them, and needed to get rid of these before selling anymore.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Is yours covered in a CF sticker? I tried to find bare metal, but apparently they sold all of them, and needed to get rid of these before selling anymore.
Yeah it is. I think it looks a little cheese ball, might think of something tho. On another note, I also ordered that $65 CF engine cover...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the $30 CF strut bar. Installed it last week and I like it. I'm on stock springs and don't have a rear sway bar, so I might feel more of a difference than people who have that stuff.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking of using some black wrinkle paint on it regardless of what finish I got.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which one did you guys buy that is $30?

I plan on painting mine so I wouldn't want to get one that is covered with a CF sticker LOL
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nevermind i found it online, but they want to charge $40 for shipping

Might as well buy a tanabe locally

Quick Reply: Ebay: a review.