Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/)
-   -   Engine just shut off on highway and now won't start (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/engine-just-shut-off-highway-now-wont-start-206892/)

dEEYOUNEE1 08-27-2011 01:18 AM

Engine just shut off on highway and now won't start

Posting from iPhone guys. Will elaborate later. My car randomly shut off while driving on the highway and now I can't get it restarted. What can it be?

dEEYOUNEE1 08-27-2011 01:22 AM

I should add lights, power steering and stereo work

r2d2michael 08-27-2011 04:23 AM

no codes? what year do you have? my 2009 did this and i got no codes. it would start after about 30 min of sitting.......on the side of the road......

Dam262a 08-27-2011 04:39 AM

check the terminals, if that seems fine she if you can get a jump your battery could be slightly alive but still allow you to use the smaller electronics

dEEYOUNEE1 08-27-2011 04:54 AM

08 no codes, boosted but no dice.

r2d2michael 08-27-2011 06:05 AM

well if its a 08 does the TSB on the wiering harness have anything to do with it?

dEEYOUNEE1 08-27-2011 06:21 AM

reference?

r2d2michael 08-27-2011 06:26 AM

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2008/Scion/xB

look at these. the one about the wireing harness i think is something else

ScionFred 08-27-2011 08:21 AM

Is there gas in the tank?

Please elaborate.

r2d2michael 08-27-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScionFred (Post 3900138)
Is there gas in the tank?

Please elaborate.

:doh:so that was E means.... lol

TrevorS 08-27-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by dEEYOUNEE1 (Post 3899958)
Posting from iPhone guys. Will elaborate later. My car randomly shut off while driving on the highway and now I can't get it restarted. What can it be?

You say it "randomly shuts off", so I gather you've been experiencing this behavior for a little while? I gather you don't get a check engine lamp on the display? How long have you been seeing this and has it been gradually getting worse? You say you're boosted, does the time frame of that correspond at all with when you started seeing this behavior -- was it before or after this behavior first appeared?

dEEYOUNEE1 08-27-2011 10:45 PM

that was the first time it happened and when I say boosted I mean with jumper cables haha. I found a dead fuel ignition fuse and now everything is kosher. Thanks guys

TrevorS 08-27-2011 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by dEEYOUNEE1 (Post 3900337)
that was the first time it happened and when I say boosted I mean with jumper cables haha. I found a dead fuel ignition fuse and now everything is kosher. Thanks guys

Happy to learn you solved the problem! Around here, "boosted" means F/I (forced injection), and so brings in a number of factors that aren't a concern for N/A drivers (natural aspiration). Happy driving :)!

lilfx 07-15-2014 03:45 AM

I am having same issue

I can be driving at any speed and motor just shuts off.. even leaving a light and have to turn it over 3-4 times... when I try to restart RPM's go up like normal and then just drop off to dead.. I have taken in into dealer 3 times and it will not throw a code... when motor dies off everything still works gauges, stereo, lights, fog lamps, etc... I am getting frustrated about this.. all fuses are good and dealer says everything is working properly.... anyone else having any other problems.... not boosted, have exeady stage one, and light weight flywheel, has been running fine for a year with these and now have problems. .. please help

Linand3 08-04-2014 03:43 AM

2008 Scion XB engine shut off!

Originally Posted by lilfx (Post 4154094)
I can be driving at any speed and motor just shuts off.. even leaving a light and have to turn it over 3-4 times... when I try to restart RPM's go up like normal and then just drop off to dead.. I have taken in into dealer 3 times and it will not throw a code... when motor dies off everything still works gauges, stereo, lights, fog lamps, etc... I am getting frustrated about this.. all fuses are good and dealer says everything is working properly.... anyone else having any other problems.... not boosted, have exeady stage one, and light weight flywheel, has been running fine for a year with these and now have problems. .. please help

My 2008 XB has been doing the same thing! It's happened on the freeway & city streets! Today I almost got hit by a car from behind! It was so scary!! Calling Toyota dealer in the morning! The VCS , Traction, and check engine lights come on sometimes when it happens. Not all the time though! Approximately 90,000 miles.

lilfx 08-11-2014 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Linand3 (Post 4155185)
My 2008 XB has been doing the same thing! It's happened on the freeway & city streets! Today I almost got hit by a car from behind! It was so scary!! Calling Toyota dealer in the morning! The VCS , Traction, and check engine lights come on sometimes when it happens. Not all the time though! Approximately 90,000 miles.

I had the lights come on once... but they keep trying to tell me nothing is wrong... on the 18-20th I will be taking the service manager out for a drive and show him what's going on... also when mine just shuts off it has to be turned over 4-5 times for the engine to stay running... the rpms go up but just drop off I have a video of it but don't know if or how I can post it up on here... i have about 133,000 miles on it and it just started 3 months ago....

AAG 08-17-2014 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Linand3 (Post 4155185)
My 2008 XB has been doing the same thing! The VCS , Traction, and check engine lights come on sometimes when it happens. Not all the time though! Approximately 90,000 miles.

Mine did this around 20k miles (cluster lit up like a Christmas tree) and the wire harness was replaced. Early build 2008 .

typeflex 10-08-2016 11:31 PM

THIS WAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM THAT HAPPENED TO ME.

Got stranded today at 6 in the morning 9 hours away from home, xb just shut off. I said damnit, this is it, I'm f'd.

Did a quick search, came up with this query, checked the fuse, sure enough.

THANK YOU OP, you're a life saver!

abbylink_32 06-13-2023 01:49 AM

Hi! I have the same issue a troubling to trouble shoot some on my own!

Originally Posted by dEEYOUNEE1 (Post 3900337)

something is happening to me an I’m curious in more in-depth to you situation you had so I can maybe try an figure mine out.