Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/)
-   -   Help 08 Scion xB.. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/help-08-scion-xb-237026/)

Honeyanrage617 03-17-2019 10:29 PM

Help 08 Scion xB..

I am not sure if I am in the right area. Noob. Just bought a 08 Scion xB. Just hit 175k it was bought “as is” and been having MAF issues.

So, I recently changed PVC valve, spark plugs, oil & filter, I’ve gone through 3 MAF sensors in approx 2 weeks, changes air filter an took out my throttle body and cleaned it.

Today coming home from work she died on me 2x, check engine light came on. So went to get it read an it was MAF sensor. Since I just replaced this last Thursday I was able to get another one without buying one. This is my 3rd one.

What the heck hell can this be? Bad connectors/wires? Water in gas or condensation? ECU? I am just at a total loss right now. Toyota is so expensive so I’m trying not to go this route.

Any my ideas or tips that might help me figure it out would be greatly appreciated. I love this car but now I regretting it as I’m still making payments. I’m on a strict budget and just need a running vehicle for my babies.

I will be testing the voltage the MAF is getting tomorrow. I’m thinking more than 5v could be ECU? I just don’t understand why the MAF keeps failing. I work like a dog an have little time in between,
this is becoming a headache and I’m sure it’s an easy fix once I can figure it out. I want to give up but I keep going.

Someone please help me.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

RichBinAZ 03-19-2019 02:58 PM

Have a look at RickRacers post - you seem to be having the same issue

Honeyanrage617 03-19-2019 03:19 PM

thanks

Iam looking for it thanks

TubaTwo 03-21-2019 11:07 PM

Our 2008 has a wiring harness issue that caused these same symptoms. It happened right after it went off warranty back in 2012. It was a pricey fix, but it kept the car going since then.

TubaTwo 03-22-2019 07:29 PM

Here's the text of the service bulletin that @ScionFred shared with me on the forums back when I was having my problems. You can also find the entire conversation if you're interested. After the wiring harness fix, we had no problems with the car again until someone crashed into it just last week.

S-SB-0050-08
November 12, 2008
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0101, P0172, P035 #, P2237 or P2238
Service Category
Engine/Hybrid System

Section
Engine Control

Market
USA

Applicability
Introduction
Some 2008 - 2009 model year xB vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" with one of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
^P0101 - Mass Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance Issue
^P0172 - System Too Rich
^P035 # - Ignition Coil '# ' Primary / Secondary Circuit
^P2237 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit / Open
^P2238 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low

An improved engine wire harness has been developed and implemented in production to address this condition. Use the following repair procedure to diagnose and repair customer complaint vehicles.
Production Change Information

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown.

Parts Information

Warranty Information
APPLICABLE WARRANTY
^This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
^Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Required Tools & Equipment
Additional TIS Techstream units may be ordered by calling Approved Dealer Equipment (ADE).
Repair Procedure
1.Using TIS Techstream check for stored DTCs.
2.Verify one of the following DTCs is present.
^P0101
^P0172
^P035 #
^P2237
^P2238
NOTE If other DTCs are present along with any of the DTCs listed above, this TSB does NOT apply. Follow Repair Manual procedures to diagnose those DTCs.

3.Follow Repair Manual procedure to inspect the DTC-related component(s).

Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS) applicable model year Scion xB Repair Manual:
4.If the DTC-related component(s) is within Repair Manual specifications replace the engine wire harness.
5.After replacing the engine harness clear DTCs and verify that no DTCs reset. Then warm vehicle to operating temperature and test drive to verify repair.

TSB # S-SB-0050-08 November 12, 2008

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

AUTOMATIC TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067111
MANUAL TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067112

Honeyanrage617 03-22-2019 09:10 PM

Amazon ng

Originally Posted by TubaTwo (Post 4293200)
Here's the text of the service bulletin that @ScionFred shared with me on the forums back when I was having my problems. You can also find the entire conversation if you're interested. After the wiring harness fix, we had no problems with the car again until someone crashed into it just last week.

S-SB-0050-08
November 12, 2008
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0101, P0172, P035 #, P2237 or P2238
Service Category
Engine/Hybrid System

Section
Engine Control

Market
USA

Applicability
Introduction
Some 2008 - 2009 model year xB vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" with one of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
^P0101 - Mass Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance Issue
^P0172 - System Too Rich
^P035 # - Ignition Coil '# ' Primary / Secondary Circuit
^P2237 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit / Open
^P2238 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low

An improved engine wire harness has been developed and implemented in production to address this condition. Use the following repair procedure to diagnose and repair customer complaint vehicles.
Production Change Information

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown.

Parts Information

Warranty Information
APPLICABLE WARRANTY
^This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
^Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Required Tools & Equipment
Additional TIS Techstream units may be ordered by calling Approved Dealer Equipment (ADE).
Repair Procedure
1.Using TIS Techstream check for stored DTCs.
2.Verify one of the following DTCs is present.
^P0101
^P0172
^P035 #
^P2237
^P2238
NOTE If other DTCs are present along with any of the DTCs listed above, this TSB does NOT apply. Follow Repair Manual procedures to diagnose those DTCs.

3.Follow Repair Manual procedure to inspect the DTC-related component(s).

Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS) applicable model year Scion xB Repair Manual:
4.If the DTC-related component(s) is within Repair Manual specifications replace the engine wire harness.
5.After replacing the engine harness clear DTCs and verify that no DTCs reset. Then warm vehicle to operating temperature and test drive to verify repair.

TSB # S-SB-0050-08 November 12, 2008

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

AUTOMATIC TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067111
MANUAL TRANS VIN# JTLKE50E*91067112

thank you for this. I deff don’t have the money for this fix maybe not even until June. So far she is running okay since I replaced the MAF again for the 4th time. Just don’t know when she will act up again

TubaTwo 03-22-2019 09:15 PM

@Honeyanrage617 , is your xB within the affected VIN range for that wiring harness issue?

Honeyanrage617 03-22-2019 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TubaTwo (Post 4293202)
@Honeyanrage617 , is your xB within the affected VIN range for that wiring harness issue?

I haven’t had a chance to check the vin yet I’m getting the kiddos settled in. I will though and let you know.