Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Horn honks everytime I turn the wheel...

Old 04-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Horn honks everytime I turn the wheel...

Just started yesterday in my 08 xb. No idea what could have happened. Now, every time I move the wheel in either direction the horn goes off. The only way I was able to make it stop was to pull the fuse. Took the wheel off to check for frayed wires or anything but saw nothing. That's about the extent to my current knowledge of where to look.
Hope this is the right place to post this...
Old 04-17-2017, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is either something wrong with the clock spring in the column or the tab where the wire hooks to the steering wheel just needs to be bent a little bit so it doesn't touch metal when you turn the wheel.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 AM

Default Horn works but there's still an issue...

Thanks Greg. It was the clock spring. Replaced it and I now have a horn again . Another issue though: even before the horn issue, I new I needed a new clock spring because my airbag light has been on for a while now. It came on about a year and a half ago, so I replaced the clock spring then, but with an aftermarket one. That worked for about a year, then the light came back on. I put off buying a new official clock spring due to unemployment. So I finally got the new one in, purchased from toyota. Horn problem went away, but but the airbag light is still on. Do I need to reset something? What else could be causing the light to be on?
Sorry about the long question. Thanks for any help you got.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may just need to be driven for a bit or you can pull the ECU fuse for a couple minutes then put it back in. This clears the ECU memory and it has to re-learn everything. If it's just a lingering code and not current it will go away. If it doesn't then it's something else. causing the light to come on.

Search this Thread