Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Idle Pulley DIY Replacement: Please help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Idle Pulley DIY Replacement: Please help ASAP!

Hey guys, as you've probably seen me post in other threads I have come to realize that my idle pulley (the big one at the back of the engine that's not connected to anything) has a horrible bearing and is making awful noises.

Well, long story short, I ordered a replacement ($55 btw, just fyi) and I've got the car jacked up with the belt off. Then I have run into one main issue.

The bolt for this pulley is directly behind a frame bar and is too close to fit any sort of socket. I tried an open-ended wrench but could not get enough leverage on it to break it loose. So what I need to know is how I can lower the engine block (on the passenger side mostly) about 1.5" which should allow the nut to be accessible and I can hit it with my impact wrench.

First off, is this even possible? I've never messed with any car's motor mounts and I'm not sure which mounts to mess with and even how to loosed the mounts. I did take off the bolt and nut that seem to attach the upper motor mount to the block but that apparently didn't do a whole lot when I lowered the engine block on my jack.

Anyways, if anyone could please help I would greatly appreciate it. I have the WRX to drive to work tomorrow so if it doesn't get fixed tonight its not a big deal but the wife wants my car out of the garage sooner than later so she can park in there again. So time is sort of the essence. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 AM
SL Member

Not able to look at my xb and see. But I know at work I always undo the motor mount on the side by the belt. Then use a floor jack to let it down and lift it back up. I work for Nissan btw but I believe that ours has kinda the same setup.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well good news! I got the pulley out and replaced it and now the noise is gone! Yay!

So it turns out you don't have to raise or lower the engine to get the pulley off. You just have to first get the 14mm pulley bolt loosened (a ratcheting open-ended wrench makes this SOOO much easier than a socket). Then you scoot the pulley out a bit and behind it are two more 14mm that hold the pulley bracket onto the block. Hit those with some WD40 or PB Blaster and then get those loosened out.

At this point you'll probably have to use a small pry-bar to get the bracket out from the sandwich its sitting it. This wasn't too hard to do and VOILA! The bracket assembly along with the pulley came out. Then removed the old pulley (which the bearings had basically completely seized), cleaned everything with brake cleaner, lubed it all up and had to hammer the bracket back into the slot on the back of the engine block. Once its in and lined up, just tighten up all the bolts again, reinstall the belt and give it a test run.

After some research on a Camry forum, apparently these idler pulleys have a tendency to gunk up and start making noise. Hopefully this will aid anyone who else who needs to replace theirs. All it required was a couple of hours to work on it, the right tools, and a $55 genuine Toyota pulley off of eBay (I avoided the Dayco brand).Now its time to tackle that dame water pump since mine is out of warranty.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:01 PM
SL Member

Glad you got it fixed.