Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Trans/Diff fluid change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 05:18 PM
SL Member

Default Trans/Diff fluid change intervals

I’m seeking information on fluid change intervals. The Maintenance Guide just says “inspect”. I am at 122K, so I am guessing every 30K?

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...IONxB_0001.pdf
Old 12-13-2020, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Changing ATF is a little different than changing engine oil. With engine oil, you can dump it 100%, every time. With ATF, you might want to consider several factors before you do a complete change versus a "drain-and-fill".

Since I'm not familiar with your particulars, I'll use my 1996 Camry as an example of what to consider. It was at 110,000 miles and still had the original ATF. Would have been better to "drain and fill" every 30,000 miles but such is life. My automatic clutch may have more wear than typical for 110,00 miles. If so, clutch particles trapped in my ATF may be necessary to prevent slipping. This called for a drain-and-fill which only drained the pan, not the torque converter.

A drain-and-fill changed approximately 35% of my total ATF. I drove it for several months to evaluate performance. I didn't notice any slipping so after 90 days, I did another drain-and-fill. Had I noticed my clutch slipping, I would have avoided the second drain-and-fill. Fortunately for me, the clutch seems to be in good shape so I'll do a complete ATF change in about 6 months, provided there is no slipping.

I wouldn't recommend a "flush" from a transmission shop. The flush machine pressure might exceed your ATF pump's pressure and damage your transmission. Another thing is your transmission shop might not stock the precise ATF your vehicle needs. Only use what your manufacturer recommends.

If you want to do a complete change, here's a DIY that describes the process. This DIY uses your transmission pump so there's little chance of transmission damage. This DIY also details the drain-and-fill process.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/T...n-Fluid-Change

The vehicle in the DIY example is a Camry but the process is similar for most automatic transmissions.

Last edited by 62Fender; 12-14-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 PM
SL Member

I concur: never do a flush. Drain and fill is fine. There's also drain, drop the transmission fluid pan, change the filter, and fill. I've done both at different times. Use the dip stick and check the condition of the fluid. Out car takes Toyota ATF-WS. If you can, get it from the stealership.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I generally change all transmission fluids every 30k regardless of type. I would never do a flush, but drain and refills every 30k like clockwork. If there is a serviceable filter, I change that every 60k or so. This is my general plan, extreme conditions may require more frequent changing of filter or fluid.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you can do every 50 or 60K.
I do recommend dropping the pan, changing the filter and cleaning the magnets off and the inside of the pan.
Did I do a video? for what it's worth...