Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Master Cylinder maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:42 AM

Default Master Cylinder maybe?

My 2008 Scion Xb began clutch issues a few days ago. Hard to shift into gear. I thought maybe it was because of the icey weather we've been having. I had the fluid changed in the 5-speed. Everything was fine.

Went to drive tonight and it was fine at first, then I tried to shift into second and it is not going into gear. Thought maybe it was the slave / master cylinder, but there is plenty of fluid in it.

Additionally the clutch feels to my foot exactly as it should. Perfect in fact.
I noticed when I depress the clutch pedal and try and place into gear, the car feels like it wants to go forward. As if it were trying to grab the gear.

There has been no grinding or slippage or popping out of gear whatsoever. I really use the car as a commuter, so it's all stock and driven pretty easily.

Is it the master cylinder due to the seals shrinking and expanding due to the weather?

Clutch maybe? I really tried to rule this out due to no noise, grinding etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about if you pump the clutch a few times, will it go in then? That's going to be your slave cylinder then. If the master is full, that should be good. Otherwise, your pressure plate might be worn out, but these hydraulic systems usually compensate for a worn pressure plate. The only other thing is that your synchronizers are worn, and new fluid will make that more apparent as the friction modifier content might be higher since the old fluid broke down a bit allowing easier shifting. That's why I never recommend changing manual transmission fluid. Are you rev matching perfectly? If so then also try clutchless rev match shift, and if that works, then it might your slave or pressure plate. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM

CTC, yeah, I was thinking the master cylinder.
Going to R&R it today. Its only a $30 part, so I will eliminate the motive by going after it first. Pressure plate next.
Yeah, I am so used to non-hydraulic systems. When ____ goes wrong you pretty much can pinpoint it right away. The Hydraulic is so user friendly/protective/efficient that it makes it harder to diagnose.
Should be fun! LOL!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, I hear ya man. We try and help the best we can, but it's not always that easy. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:08 AM

Yeah.... spring broke.... $1050 later.... LOL. Hey, I got a nice new heavy duty clutch out of it! LOL.....
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 PM

all fixed! Yeah!