Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Alt problem?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Default Alt problem?

I have 2010 Scion xB 2.4 same motor from 07-15 also applied on Camry 07-09 and matrix 09-10...it is a Japanese model .

About two months ago I took a trip about 90 miles to pick up some parts...on the way my AC stopped blowing cold..occasionally would happen for a afew hours to a few days...just before this incident it didn't blow cold for about 3 weeks...on the way back it stopped blowing completely...the day after ended up leaving me stranded...few days later install Autozone reman alternator...take it for test drive left me stranded...recharge my battery and see power from alt is coming out same as battery, go back to Autozone and swap it and test it there before I leave to make sure I didn't get another faulty one...test as 13.8 volts...test good...install fresh alt...and putting out same voltage as battery...I check some fuses one to heater is blown no other fuses...has anyone seen a similar problem?

I replaced the fusible link that ...I also read that the reman is crap just think it's highly unlikely too have 2 bad alternators.
I cannot find the alt fuse, or electric power steering (EPS) fuse

you're help is appreciated
Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM

Found out my issue was with a blown 10 a ign Ecu fuse in kick panel
Old 07-27-2017, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lazrriots
Found out my issue was with a blown 10 a ign Ecu fuse in kick panel
Glad to hear that it was a simple fix.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, NEVER buy Autozone alternators, they are notorious for being bad right out of the box, and it is NORMAL to have to go thru 2-3 "new remanufactured" autozone alternators before finally finding one that works...BOSCH reman alternators are the best for European cars, I am sure there is such a reman for Japanese alternators...
Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by pdxgen2
Also, NEVER buy Autozone alternators, they are notorious for being bad right out of the box, and it is NORMAL to have to go thru 2-3 "new remanufactured" autozone alternators before finally finding one that works...BOSCH reman alternators are the best for European cars, I am sure there is such a reman for Japanese alternators...
I've had very good luck with the top tier NAPA parts when it comes to replacement alternators and starters. I usually get those if the BOSCH stuff isn't available anywhere else for any of my other cars.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just FYI, All NAPA alternators and starters have lifetime warranties. I've worked at NAPA for 6 years and rarely see any come back with an issue. The exception to this is when idiots put regular starters and alternators in boating applications. o_0

Search this Thread