Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/)
-   -   A question about driving with an automatic... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/question-about-driving-automatic-162168/)

CIONIDE 05-14-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by buickid
Perhaps turn it to ACC, put it in neutral, then put it back to ON? Since we have electric power steering, it'll assist even if the engine is off, if the key is in ON (try it, go on a small hill, put it in ON, roll down slowly while turning the wheel, it takes a couple of seconds but the PS kicks in). Plus you have enough vacuum left in the booster for at least 2 hard stops

I'm guessing that this would be much easier to do in a controlled forethought situation, than when you're fearing for your life... but that's just me (and my brother). :lol:

A-snell 05-14-2009 08:16 AM

:LOL:

buickid 05-14-2009 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE

Perhaps turn it to ACC, put it in neutral, then put it back to ON? Since we have electric power steering, it'll assist even if the engine is off, if the key is in ON (try it, go on a small hill, put it in ON, roll down slowly while turning the wheel, it takes a couple of seconds but the PS kicks in). Plus you have enough vacuum left in the booster for at least 2 hard stops

I'm guessing that this would be much easier to do in a controlled forethought situation, than when you're fearing for your life... but that's just me (and my brother). :lol:

Practice makes perfect! :P

Boblacks 05-15-2009 10:48 AM

I read in the manual that its better to put tranny on N when at stoplight.. reason?
because it "said" it will lessen the tear on your brake pad (any part of the brake system not sure though) and will save u gas... thats what Im doin in my 09 tc...

A-snell 05-15-2009 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Boblacks
I read in the manual that its better to put tranny on N when at stoplight.. reason?
because it "said" it will lessen the tear on your brake pad (any part of the brake system not sure though) and will save u gas... thats what Im doin in my 09 tc...

with a manual, U should put it into Neutral at stops. if you don't you have the clutch pressed in and that puts extra strain (wear and tear) on the clutch..

Boblacks 05-15-2009 10:57 AM

what i meant by manual is the booklet with full of information :P
What your saying is true about stick shift.. it prevent your clutch from burning,..

A-snell 05-15-2009 11:03 AM

ahhh. man. I must be tired.... :P

buickid 05-15-2009 12:36 PM

What your saying is true about stick shift.. it prevent your clutch from burning,..

Its not your clutch, its the throwout bearing. If you're going to be stopped for a while with a manual, its better to put it in neutral and let the clutch out so there is no load on the throwout bearing. For short stops though, leaving it in gear and holding the clutch in will produce negligible wear to the throwout bearing, which is much more easily replaced than synchro cones anyway.

stillettoDSM 05-15-2009 12:53 PM

I hate this kinda' stuff, my friend does this all time time since he lost his 5spd TSI.
He'll put it in N and rev while coming up to a light..

Boblacks 05-15-2009 07:48 PM

is he driving stick?

A-snell 05-15-2009 11:21 PM

Its not your clutch, its the throwout bearing. If you're going to be stopped for a while with a manual, its better to put it in neutral and let the clutch out so there is no load on the throwout bearing. For short stops though, leaving it in gear and holding the clutch in will produce negligible wear to the throwout bearing, which is much more easily replaced than synchro cones anyway.

that's what I meant..the throw out bearing. it was 3 in the morning when I posted that.... :rofl: