Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Looking for better radiator and air flow

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 04:23 AM

Default Looking for better radiator and air flow

Has anyone found a radiator that's better than the factory? I have a crap ton of heat dumping out every time I open my hood and I'd like to see if there's a better radiator to knock it down.

I've also flirted with wrestling some ducting up behind the top grill and piping it to the intake. Has anyone tried this and if so was there any noticeable difference?
Old 08-27-2021, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can find one, Mishimoto makes a great replacement radiator. You would need to add a trans cooler if you do put one in as it doesn't have the connections for it.

As for trying to pipe air from the upper grill to the intake, don't bother. I tried it and the opening between the radiator shroud and the hood is actually quite tight and causes too much restriction to make it worthwhile. Biggest improvement for the intake is to go with a cold air. Drops the intake temps quite a few degrees. Of course if you live in an area with heavy rain this may not be the best idea.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The heat is probably generated by the motor/exhaust and not the radiator directly unless it is faulty. But if the vehicle is not overheating there's probably nothing wrong.. it is expected that the engine bay will be hot when you open the hood after the vehicle has been running lol. Not saying an upgraded radiator will not be beneficial.. but not sure it will help whatsoever with this specific under-hood-not-making-it-hot issue.