Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Repeated Clutch failure in '09 xB

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:04 AM

Default Repeated Clutch failure in '09 xB

Hello all!

This is my first post here... I joined specifically to try to research this issue I seem to be having -

ok, so --
i am on the FOURTH clutch in my 09 xB, at only 59,000 miles. Something is wrong with this car and I don't know how or where to even begin to decipher if it came that way or if something has ruined it along the way....

It was fine 2009 -2013, until Toyota did regular 'B' maintenance and the car came back with the clutch acting very oddly. Never had a clutch problem before in 25 yrs of driving manual trans so i didn't realize what the symptoms meant... by the time the clutch went, it had to be towed in as i had no clue it was slowly burning out and losing all power. Toyota quietly replaced everything at no cost, towed it free, and provided free rental vehicle during repairs... they admitted no fault but i KNOW something they did messed it up. (and am now wondering if it did some kind of serious, repeated, damage) - because....

Two years later (this past March, 2015) I bottomed out on a huge crater of a pothole and the clutch went again. Same symptoms, slow loss of power and slower, random tach surges, and slower speeds... since I slammed down hard I assumed I caused it myself, and got it handled before it completely burned out. So - on to clutch # 3, this time replaced at a local repair shop, not Toyota dealership.

Much to my horror, 6 months later the clutch went AGAIN, same symptoms, this time it was determined to be a bad part out of the box, replaced at no cost under warranty - this is clutch #4.

And now, three months later - the clutch is going AGAIN.

I've been driving manual trans for 25 years... never had any clutch problems in my previous two cars, both Toyotas, so (i assume) very similar parts. I know how to be careful with a clutch - am not riding it, hard downshifting, or causing it any undue hard wear that would burn them out like this.

- but it seems something is now terribly wrong with this car, and I don't even know where or how to begin to research clutch issues that have always been there - or how to determine if something was damaged inside by that first Toyota service that could keep causing these repeated failures..... GAH!

if anyone can pass along any advice at all, it will be soundly appreciated. TTVM!!

Last edited by MissBlue; 01-04-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would suspect the pressure plate or throw out bearing, but those should have been replaced when the clutch replacement was done. Only other thing I can think of is a bent or mis-adjusted actuator rod. Oh, and check the brake fluid level, it's a shared resevior with the clutch.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM

thanks!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Scion Representative
SCION CORP

Hey MissBlue, we are sorry to hear about the reoccurring concern with your clutch. Please give us a call at 866-707-2466 (Monday - Friday 5 AM - 6 PM PST, Saturday 7 AM - 4 PM) if you would like to further discuss and formally document your concern. Thank you. ^LL
Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 AM

thanks Lidia, I will await the mechanic's response before doing something like that; I truly don't think it's a flaw in the vehicle itself.

Hopefully it's just another bad part & warranty repair.... which i sincerely hope cause i just don't have any way to get my hands on another 1300 bucks for another new one.