Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

scuba delete - low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default scuba delete - low end torque

I have been thinking about the Tsudo scuba delete and see that it measures in at 2.5" diameter. I have been reading threads on here as well as other articles and what I gather is that increasing the exhaust diameter to that size with increase torgue/hp at higher rpms. I also see the dynos for cai's show their increases in the upper rpms. Makes sense.

The only axle back that I have seen at the 2" size is the Borlas.

I am not a high rever and enjoy the torque at redlights and on ramps(not racing). I would think that if I do come up with a scuba delete it should remain in the 2" size range to maintain my lowend torque/exhaust scavaging that I have.

Opinions - education please.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

i have 2.5" custom mid section and power plus is awesome and sound nice.
I'll try get sound clip asap, my axel back is the Tanabe Concept G

the exhaust set up was built originally to go with my turbo kit on old xb now its just combined with K&N short ram but no loss torque or trouble
Old 05-01-2014, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're able to delete the "scuba" w/o failing the state motor vehicle requirements I'd presume you can gain an improvement in performance. I'm using wrapping to maximize exhaust velocity (risk is excessive scavenging) whereas reduction in "scuba" back pressure is a step beyond. Don't know what the effect would be on engine behavior -- over-scavenging is not good, somewhere there's a balance! Perhaps you can provide more info on this?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the responces. I am in FL and we currently do not have emission testing here. That being said I do want to keep the front cat.

I would like to coax a little more performance out of the xb and have modified the stock airbox/snorkle and actually think there was a positive change in power. Maybe this is just perceived?

I do not want a loud car but after all that I have read it appears that the scuba is the main source of back pressure. My first belief was that back pressure provided low end torque but now have come to believe after reading that the low end torque is not a product of back pressue but the effect of scavaging. The larger diameter exhaust does not cause the car to lose torque it just moves the power/torque band higher in the rpm range. I rarely have my xb above 4k so it appears that I need to maintain the scavaging.

So the goal is to remove the back pressure by replacing the scuba with a proper sized(?), free flowing, sound managed replacement. Once that is acomplished then maybe a catback/axleback can be acheived.

I had never reseached the wraping application before, very interesting.

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member

Additional question: Did anybody have trouble finding a exhaust shop to do work/replacment on the scuba section?

My local did not want to touch it because of the cat......
Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Low end torque was my goal as well. I'd have been better off with a 4-2-1 header rather than my 4-1, but cost was a factor (still is), so I tried to work around it. Anything that helps air flow to the intake manifold/plenum will help responsiveness. Same is true for helping exhaust gas flow from the head, as long as it doesn't suck air/fuel charge out the ports. Do to the legalities associated with the cat, it might be hard to find a shop willing to replace it, but maybe somebody would build you specifically what you ask for and leave the install to you. Be sure to keep the OE intact, you might want to reinstall it at some point. A lot of people have tried replacing the "scuba" but weren't happy with the result -- generally seems to turn out loud and raspy.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member

thanks for the input Trevor, I will continue to research it on myside.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

running the Tsudo 2.25" catback with scuba delete. Pulls really good at about 3000RPM, and didn't feel to loose any low end torque with the pipe increase. The 2.4 is a torque happy motor. There is a reason Toyota uses it in many of their cars, including the Rav4.

Sound is great too. No rasp, nice deep growl, and even the start up sounds great. Only problem I have with it, is the stupid angle the mufflers at (not a big fan of angled exhaust) and how big the canister is. I drive pretty low static, so it scrapes the crap out of everything.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member

stinger, thanks for the reply. I have read up on the Tsudo products and can say that the style of the muffler is not for me. The angle exit is different and the muffler is on the large side.

I do have a question on the diameter. Tsudo has three products (scuba delete, cat-back and scuba/cat-back combo ) listed as 63.5mm/2.25".

63.5mm is actually 2.5".

Tsudo lists there dual "Fireball" exhaust as 63.5mm/2.5"

Did you by any chance measure yours?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Both Version 1 and Version 2 of my Tsudo Exhaust were 2.50 and im guessing my Scuba delete is the same 2.50. I have mine sitting in my room not installed yet. Will take a look at it
Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure to measure the inside diameter of the pipe. The OD is not what is measured, measure the ID.

I didn't think to measure the pipe when I got it. It was clearly bigger than OEM and that's all I cared about. I drive hard on the back roads so mid range to high end power is what I look for. So around 3K-5500 if it's pulling hard and responding well, I'm pleased.

I'd mix and match if I did it again. Tsudo resonated (scuba delete) mid-pipe, with a tanabe axle back. Probably just going to do blast pipes out the back once I find a decent exhaust shop near me.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

I am very curious about the size. The ID vs. OD is a good point.

stenger, I would imagine with the scuba delete and some blast pipes you will be heard a mile away!

The Tanabe does look nice, I wonder if that will match up to the Tsudo mid pipe or if the Tsudo midpipe/cat-back deviates from the exact OEM connection location?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Axle backs are designed to work with OEM fitments. So as long as your mid pipe has OEM style flanges, you'll be able to mix and match.

The scuba delete is just a resonator btw. Still maintains the "look" of a large cat, but really is just a resonator. So as it'd be louder than the dual resonated set up (as most aftermarket "mufflers" are just resonators) but not straight pipe loud.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member

Drew, any result on the scuba delete id measurement?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by wpb2009xb
Drew, any result on the scuba delete id measurement?

Hey sorry WPB2009xB , work has bin crazy.

Hope this helps, are these the measurements you wanted? Had the help from my dad messure and i snapped some pics

Once I'm back from Vacation i'm gonna order a Header than install everything. Just cant decide what header to get Weapon R or make the set complete with the Tsudo Header. Any input guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DREWxB08; 05-19-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member

Drew, thanks for the pics! Just so I know what I am looking at, is the first picture the "in" side? It would appear that the actual pipe ID is approx 2.25".

Is the second picture the "out" side? It would appear that the ID is approx 1.75".

A previous thread (Scion Fred?) states the intake side at 2" and the exhaust side to be 1.75"

Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by wpb2009xb
Drew, thanks for the pics! Just so I know what I am looking at, is the first picture the "in" side? It would appear that the actual pipe ID is approx 2.25".

Is the second picture the "out" side? It would appear that the ID is approx 1.75".

A previous thread (Scion Fred?) states the intake side at 2" and the exhaust side to be 1.75"

Thanks again!

First pic is the part that connects to the S-pipe back section. Seconded photo is where the oem or aftermarket exhaust mate up to.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Drew.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's 1.75/2.5. The flange (2nd photo) slips into the larger 2.5" pipe. So average size is something like 2 3/8".

Personally, I'll be ordering the Tsudo 4-2-1 header for better torque and hopefully way less rasp. (provided I keep the car a bit longer).
Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Yea the price of the Tsudo is also really good. Best I found was $299 shipped with cel fixx. That would complete my exhaust to be Tsudo header all the way back.

Quick Reply: scuba delete - low end torque