Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/)
-   -   Strup Header (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/strup-header-184518/)

fireyrguns 04-05-2010 02:32 AM

Strup Header

So i installed my strup header yesterday with the weapon r cel elim. Have a ? at first it smoked for a bit and smelled like gas really bad. Is this normal? today it didnt smoke at all but off and on it smells like gas a little yet. This a normal thing till the computer adjust to the header? No cel came on as of yet so we will see.
Now my other issue i have a rs7 with the TRD muffler. I was hoping that installing the header would make the exhaust note a little better but dang hardly no diff than what it was. I have friends with tc's and trd mufflers that sound great and a friend with an xd and a trd muffler that also sounds great whats the deal with this muffler!!!

Murphys_Law 04-05-2010 02:34 AM

its new and hasnt been blown to crap yet with exhaust gasses???

jonathan110987 04-05-2010 04:10 AM

smells cause the metal of the header is getting hot for the first time

ScionFred 04-05-2010 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by fireyrguns (Post 3530384)
So i installed my strup header yesterday with the weapon r cel elim. Have a ? at first it smoked for a bit and smelled like gas really bad. Is this normal? today it didnt smoke at all but off and on it smells like gas a little yet. This a normal thing till the computer adjust to the header? No cel came on as of yet so we will see.
Now my other issue i have a rs7 with the TRD muffler. I was hoping that installing the header would make the exhaust note a little better but dang hardly no diff than what it was. I have friends with tc's and trd mufflers that sound great and a friend with an xd and a trd muffler that also sounds great whats the deal with this muffler!!!

The smoke is normal, the gas smell could be an exhaust leak. My TRD muffler sounded great with a header but maybe you want it louder? If so, you need to delete the "scuba tank" with a straight pipe and hi-flow cat.

miketf1 04-05-2010 10:47 PM

i have the strup and the trd exhaust. it constantly smells like gas. without the main cat it doesnt filter anymore so it will smell that way. i only smell it at a cold idle.

as for the trd muffler there is a minimal difference and thats normal because there is a very large resonator/muffler in the mid-pipe. take it out and it will be louder.

ScionFred 04-06-2010 06:18 AM

Just remember to install a new cat if you remove the scuba tank. Running around without any cats is irresponsible. Besides, if you remove the scuba tank, you'll need something there or it will be too loud. A hi-flow cat will sound as good as or better than a resonator.

fireyrguns 04-07-2010 01:33 AM

You guys are great !!! Thanks for all the info ...

XD40tC 04-12-2010 01:53 AM

Your car should get a little louder over time. I remember when I installed 2 different exhausts on my tC it sounded completely stock for the first day. And then the next day it was very noticeably louder and sounded nice. Your increase in exhaust flow from the header will "break in" your TRD muffler even more.

fireyrguns 04-12-2010 02:02 AM

Yup it's starting to sound a lil better already.

mudvayne2k6 04-16-2010 02:41 PM

I wanna the strup header but i live in cali and what do i do about removing the origi al cat will i have to remove the scuba tank and replace it another cat? What about the 02 censor with that go on the header?

streetxdreamer 04-16-2010 03:53 PM

The scuba tank cat does not get removed. The upper cat on the stock header is deleted.

There are 3 OT sensors, one before the first cat, one after the first cat, and one somewhere by the scuba

the first O2 just needs to be put on the header. The second you will need to use a cel eliminator

touring 04-17-2010 02:45 PM

Are you using an s pipe? If not, you should be

ScionFred 04-17-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by streetxdreamer (Post 3542682)
The scuba tank cat does not get removed. The upper cat on the stock header is deleted.

There are 3 OT sensors, one before the first cat, one after the first cat, and one somewhere by the scuba

the first O2 just needs to be put on the header. The second you will need to use a cel eliminator

Actually there are only two O2 sensors on my 08. The primary wide-band AFR sensor in the header and the secondary narrow-band O2 sensor in the s-pipe.

fireyrguns 04-17-2010 09:35 PM

And why should i be using an s pipe?

TrevorS 04-19-2010 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by miketf1 (Post 3531164)
as for the trd muffler there is a minimal difference and thats normal because there is a very large resonator/muffler in the mid-pipe. take it out and it will be louder.

Yeppers, a lot louder :)! I agree with "ScionFred", don't straightpipe it, you need something in there for emissions, and also to tame the sound.

ScionFred 04-19-2010 06:53 AM

FYI, the mid cat/resonator (scuba tank) ain't the biggest problem with the stock exhaust, IMO. It's the 1.8" ID pipe between the scuba and the axle-back. I used to think it was 2.25" until I removed it, then I guessed it was 2" until I measured it. Why 1.8" instead of 1.75" I don't know but I measured it with calipers so it is what it is... way too small.

fireyrguns 05-01-2010 12:18 AM

So i see the cxr S pipe on ebay for 99.00 but its 3" will this help or should i stay stock s pipe?

touring 05-01-2010 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by fireyrguns (Post 3556087)
So i see the cxr S pipe on ebay for 99.00 but its 3" will this help or should i stay stock s pipe?

+1

Mouse 05-01-2010 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mudvayne2k6 (Post 3542603)
I wanna the strup header but i live in cali and what do i do about removing the origi al cat will i have to remove the scuba tank and replace it another cat? What about the 02 censor with that go on the header?

Here's my 2 cents on your post... so don't take this the wrong way... but if you live in Cali... I wouldn't put a header on your Scion. I've got a few good friends out in CA and they've said that the cops really crack down on emissions violations. You change your header therefore deleting the primary cat... I've heard of lots of horror stories of monster expensive tickets for modding a car like that in CA. Honestly, what most of us do to mod our Scions for more HP pretty much makes them non-street legal in most states in the country... but CA cracks down the hardest. Hell, if I moved to CA I'd turn my tC back to stock as far as my performance mods go. It ain't worth the hassle or cost IMHO.

don't hate... just tossin' that out there to maybe save you a big chunk in tickets/fines.

Mouse 05-01-2010 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by fireyrguns (Post 3556087)

Stay stock. or at max 2.5" diameter. From what I've seen, 3" and up are generally only for FI/turbo setups as far as tC's go. My setup is a N/A and Im 2.5 all the way back into a 3.5/4" tip at the muffler itself (Injen SES).