Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/)
-   -   Upgrading the auto tranny (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-drivetrain-power-1792/upgrading-auto-tranny-184479/)

peta8368 04-04-2010 05:57 PM

Upgrading the auto tranny

Has anyone looked into replacing the 4 speed auto with the camry 5 speed, or perhaps even the 6 speed from the 2011 camry? I know the 2011 camry is a 2.5l, but there is a chance that it might bolt up still?

Seeing how the engine from a 2009 camry is the same, the tranny should mate to the engine fine, I am just wondering whether the tranny mount locations are the same, whether there is enough clearance physically, and most importantly, whether the transmission control module will work with the second gen ECU.

Any hardcore second gen modders care to shed some light??

Peter

oreoremix42 04-05-2010 12:12 AM

I assume you mean 5 speed or 6 speed being auto or over to a manual? Not familiar with camrys at all if they even come in manual.

SuZuX808 04-06-2010 02:14 AM

watching

ScionFred 04-06-2010 06:39 AM

Not that I know of but I'm very interested. All I've done so far is replace the thin, fuel economy oriented WS ATF with M1 ATF. It shifts a little firmer and the TC seems to slip less but it's not a huge improvement.

AAG 04-06-2010 03:35 PM

The 5 speed should bolt up to the engine, but I doubt the mounts are the same from the xb2 and Camry. The xb2 ecu probably won't be able to run the 5-speed tranny, more than likely would need the Camry ecu. What's wrong with your 4-speed?

ScionFred 04-07-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by AAG (Post 3531920)
What's wrong with your 4-speed?

You just said it.

brainneeded_ 04-07-2010 07:52 AM

would probably have to have a custom mount fabricated. cad + machine time = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thats why people who try these kind of endeavors usually try to do group buys to bring the cost down.

natesi 04-10-2010 04:03 AM

I test drove a Matrix with the 5 speed auto and hated it. Horrible transmission. The Camry was given a 6 speed auto this year -- maybe that one will be better. I think the new tC will be getting the 2.5 camry engine and 6 speed auto too. Hopefully the next xB will also (although unfortunately that's probably a couple years off, for the 2013 model year)

divisii 04-10-2010 04:02 PM

As you said it's the same motor, so whether or not it'd fit is not really the issue, it's the ECU. An automatic is often model specific due to it being directly tied to other electrical functions in the car. So just putting in an ECU from another model or expecting the ECU you have to be able to fully understand the sensors designed for a different transmission is dodgey. You likely would spend lotsa time and $$ getting everything to work right.

You'd have an easier time looking into upgrades in the 4spd (gears, torque converter, computer controls), or even just installing a manny trans.

TrevorS 04-10-2010 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by divisii (Post 3536215)
As you said it's the same motor, so whether or not it'd fit is not really the issue, it's the ECU. An automatic is often model specific due to it being directly tied to other electrical functions in the car.

Generally speaking, the engine compartment mounting points and clearance could also differ for transmissions that were intended for some models but not others.

elwaylite 04-14-2010 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by natesi (Post 3535965)
I test drove a Matrix with the 5 speed auto and hated it. Horrible transmission. The Camry was given a 6 speed auto this year -- maybe that one will be better. I think the new tC will be getting the 2.5 camry engine and 6 speed auto too. Hopefully the next xB will also (although unfortunately that's probably a couple years off, for the 2013 model year)

I just had a 6spd camry and the tranny sucked. I was very glad to get back in my xB.