Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

VSC Light coming on, and Shift problem..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default VSC Light coming on, and Shift problem..

Hello, I have a 2009 xB, and have had some issues lately and I wanted to share what I went through in case anyone else is having this issue.
It started a few months ago, when my VSC off light came on on the dash. This would happen intermittent. Some times the car would not want to shift from 3rd to 4th, not always.
The light would go off for a couple of days, then I would feel a little shift in the trans, and it would come on again, for a day or two.

I finally had someone use a Code reader (which I have since bought one, I highly recommend it, mine was 32 bucks on Amazon). It gave a code that my Vel input speed sensor was not sending signal.
So, I went an bought a 140 dollar sensor from Toyota, and replaced it. It is located just under the air cleaner box, one bolt, easy fix.

Went a couple of days and the VSC light came on again?

Come to find out there are 2 Vel speed sensors, this time I bought a cheaper sensor off eBay for about 20 bucks.
The second sensor is located just under the battery tray a couple of inches in front of the other sensor. you just have to remove the air filter box, remove the battery,
(which clears the codes) and remove the battery tray. one bolt again as this sensor is exactly the same type as the other on.
It has been a few days, and I have had no problems at all. I will keep this posted if anything changes.

This situation was frustrating to me, and if you are having the same problem, it might be frustrating to you as well. I hope my experience has helped and by doing the work yourself you will save hundreds of dollars,
I did some research online, and could not find much, even the salesperson at Toyota could not tell me where the second sensor was located. I have read reports that others have spent a lot of money trying to fix this problem.
I do not guarantee this will fix your situation, am only posting my experience to help other on the path to a solution.

Cheers....Mark

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-01-2020 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Year Badge